Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F40 LM

Ich_Will

On 10.11.2018 at 10:50 PM, Ich_Will said:

The dash was too light for my taste so I reshot it with a darker grey. I also opted to add the passenger seat (not shown in the assembly instructions). I had one day where all I did was go backwards. I had to repaint the passenger door 3 times. Lol. Oh well. I also picked up a cheap headlamp/magnifying lense. It’s already helped me get a better dashboard on this car. 

DD5C938E-3479-49D4-B74E-20CAD1F3332F.jpeg

Hi Will, your progress is looking fine!

I just saw you are using the same headlamp that I ordered yesterday... 18 EUR on Amazon... I have another one but the headband is kind of annoying and it's either too tight or too loose. Plus I'm sweating buckets beneath that plastic headband. Hopefully this new one will work better for me, as it has sort of a fixing to the nose, I understand?

Did you already glue in the clear parts before painting the window seals black??

1 hour ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Will, your progress is looking fine!

I just saw you are using the same headlamp that I ordered yesterday... 18 EUR on Amazon... I have another one but the headband is kind of annoying and it's either too tight or too loose. Plus I'm sweating buckets beneath that plastic headband. Hopefully this new one will work better for me, as it has sort of a fixing to the nose, I understand?

Did you already glue in the clear parts before painting the window seals black??

Hey Tommy,  I think you'll like the headlamp. It gets heavy on the nose after about a half hour, but surprisingly it works really good for the price.   I did glue in the glass already, but that's ok...I have a pretty steady hand and with the new vision assistance it's going well. I've noticed that seeing all the little flaws has slowed my progress as I am fixing stuff I wouldn't have seen before. I'll post up a few more pics tonight.  I really had some issues with the canards on the front bumper...honestly at this point I wish I'd left them off. Oh well. 

10 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Curse this headlamp, now I see EVERYTHING! Lol

LOL! Put on one of the 4 weaker glasses to filter out the things you don't wanna see... :D

Those canards look an awfully good opportunity to spoil things. I guess when I build my kit one day, I'll opt to fix them with superglue right away (prior to painting), then mask and paint them black at the end...

Btw, I was interested in learning more about the several F40 race versions (LM, Competizione, GT, GTE), most of which are often mixed up in the kits available. I found a very good link to explain their story and the differences, so I'd like to share it: https://www.rossoautomobili.com/articles/whats-the-difference-between-all-the-ferrari-f40-race-cars

Edited by Tommy124

4 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Those canards look an awfully good opportunity to spoil things. I guess when I build my kit one day, I'll opt to fix them with superglue right away (prior to painting), then mask and paint them black at the end...

Exactly what I should have done.  Oh well, I'll probably grab this kit again in the future. I think I need to do the yellow Competizione... with out the canards.

Thanks for the link. The more I look at stuff for the build the more I realize there's a lot wrong with this car. Oh well, the average person seeing my collection would never know, and really, beside my online posts, no one sees them at all. 

Edited by Ich_Will

On 15.11.2018 at 2:06 PM, Ich_Will said:

The more I look at stuff for the build the more I realize there's a lot wrong with this car.

It's what I call the "Fujimi effect"... They release a kit and after that several variations of that kit... incomplete and/ or flawed kits. See my Porsche 911 RS 3.8... Tamiya are more accurate in this regard. Their F40 "Monte Shell" racecar kit is one of those F40 GT cars which were very similar to the road going version.

Your model is coming along very nicely nonetheless!

On 14.11.2018 at 5:24 PM, Ich_Will said:

I think you'll like the headlamp.

Bad news here... Tried it yesterday but it doesn't work for me. Worst thing, the magnifying effect is only working if I go very near to the object (model). Not very comfortable. Even with the strongest glass, it does not really get better. Even tried to put on the glasses to the lamp the other way round, looks just the same (strange?)... Second thing, this is too wobbly for me. It's nice not to have the headband but if that means I don't have the feeling of stability, it's not right for me... So I will stick with my old one (this here: https://www.rai-ro.de/kopfbandlupe-prismen-beleuchtung-p-1567.html?osCsid=e24e52321aa53e964643104767521de2)

Edited by Tommy124

18 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Closer

C034F6EC-533F-40FB-A7B2-3DE2751D92F6.jpeg

WOW!!….looking great, bud!!, and it looks like you had better luck with your headlamp lenses than I did.....they look like they fit pretty good!!    -ya, this kit isn't exactly like the real car, but show me a kit that is, and I will show you a bunch of reasons why it STILL ISNT.   I myself pick and choose what realisms I feel like adding...at 1/24 it is impossible to build it 100% realistic....even if you made it out of brass.  Keep up the great work!!….I LOVE it!!!