Model Cars Magazine Forum

My son's first paint job

Oldcarfan27

Last week, I helped teach my 13 year old son how to spray his own paint job.

At first we were going to do it all black, like a Model T, but it looked too boring. 

Then, I remembered I had some dark green and light yellow in the garage and we found a 1:1 car posted online in the same colors so that was it! He still has some small details to finish, but he's almost done.

Hope you like it, he's so proud he was able to build it. He likes these old timers. I joke that he was born in the wrong century. 

20180926_212316.thumb.jpg.e0b5655d14f9450e8c878c7182d8cde1.jpg

20180926_212532.thumb.jpg.4b421cf8cabe6278cdef7280105be8b1.jpg

20180926_212513.thumb.jpg.3a2539d09237eb1d7d31712468812494.jpg

20180926_212544.thumb.jpg.9d95c4ae0f0cd6bc098ca5d11ed2364f.jpg

The inspiration....

5bac5f4b028ba__3.jpeg.6946e985d211714deab804caf58428bb.jpeg

1 minute ago, moparfarmer said:

If that is HIS first spray job and YOU didn't paint it, he's going to be a hell of a painter..Very well done..If thats his first model you should be proud of what he's done..Lots better than having your nose stuck in an I-Phone..He's going to be a very good modeler..

X2

He did a really good job.  He may rival me as a brush painter.  You might break out some toothpicks and show him how to paint the windshield, door handles, and other trim.  Maybe square off the paint on the wheel cover. It would make a good learning experience in detailing.  Something I had to learn on my own through trial and error over the years.

Thanks all, I'll show him all your comments, he'll be stoked!

I did show him the first light strokes and taught him to start spraying paint before he gets to the part and stop when he's past it. He caught on quickly and sprayed the final coats. I taught him to be patient and let the paint dry and not finish it until the next day.

He used drops of super glue at the contact points to assemble it and built it himself. He's been building for a couple of years and gets better at making cleaner builds each time. This one is the first one where I showed him how to use spray cans. There are small imperfections, but I feel he's on his way to be a great builder.

I know my kits are in good hands!

Signed,

Proud Papa! ?