Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Firebird 400 (updated 2/10/2019)

John Jacobs

The '68 Firebird 400 by Revell is the latest model I've been working on.  This kit allows you to build a stock or drag version.  I'm going with the stock.  I've finished all the airbrushing and I've started on the detailing.  I've also finished assembling the engine.  The body color is Model Master metallic blue 2768, which was hard to find.  It's based on a real body color for this car.  The interior is going to be Model Master light ivory to simulate a real interior color for this car called parchment.

IMG_4386.thumb.JPG.8647d13e1113c37b4764f140f516e608.JPG

IMG_4387.thumb.JPG.79bb0a128bfddc000052bf9180661e0b.JPG

IMG_4384.thumb.JPG.4d5dc327697760cf93eaa4749d219355.JPG

IMG_4383.thumb.JPG.382f992c34f9dcc165c5b7674aa47f22.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

16 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

Great job so far... love that color!!  I’m very interested in this kit... want to grab one instead of the Foose version.

Howare the Pontiac rally wheels in this kit and what tires does it come with?

The side picture on the box shows the 2 options in this kit.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.bb7a7ced716ef23dd265302fd33acba9.jpg

I'm liking the color. Nice job on the engine so far. This kit looks awfully similar to the Foose kit that I finished earlier this summer, with maybe the only differences being the wheels/tires and decals, at least that's the impression I am getting by the box art side panel. It should go together pretty well, and I can't wait to see it finished.

Wow that colour blue looks like the original colour on a friends firebird 

it is now Viper blue with silver ghost  flames and Center line pro stock wheels on it 

and Tri power on the engine supposedly factory installed. he has owned the car since the late 70s, I have one of these kits to build into a replica of it 

good luck I will be watching this build 

Michael

• John Jacobs changed the title to 68 Firebird 400 (updated 10/10/2018)
6 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking engine and chassis. I like the under hood decals, were they in the kit ? You might consider some flat black paint on the starter and the old AC oil filters were a medium blue color.  

Thanks for the info.  The decals were in the kit, and surprisingly they are in very good shape so far.  This kit was given to me by a guy who kept it stored in his hot and humid garage for years, maybe decades.

I've had this kit since it first came out. I couldn't think of a good color for it, but I think I've got one now! 

I like to build day 2 style cars, and I have a couple sets of the Centerlines from the AMT 55 Chevy that I think would look cool on it, with that color.

Thanks for the idea!

3 hours ago, John Jacobs said:

I have been impressed with the amount of detail on the decals, including the hose labels, and I have had to use a jewelers loupe to place them.

IMG_4810 (1).jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

To my mind it's the little details of this nature that really bring a model to life. Again, great looking model . 

1 hour ago, espo said:

To my mind it's the little details of this nature that really bring a model to life. Again, great looking model . 

I totally agree. It's the tiny details that help fool our minds into thinking we are looking at the real thing. 

Looking good John keep it up dude.

• John Jacobs changed the title to 68 Firebird 400 (updated 10/13/2018)
  • John Jacobs changed the title to 68 Firebird 400 (updated 10/20/2018)
  • 1 month later...
  • John Jacobs changed the title to 68 Firebird 400 (updated 2/10/2019)