Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Dodge Power Wagon

Modelhaus had such a bed, as well as another resin caster, but forgot the name, he is/was on ebay though.

Decals are/were also available,...

BTW FYI the Mpc kit to look out for is not the Lil' red truck but the Dodge Firefighter truck, the difference is not only the grille and hood but also the header panel (which is part of the cab) and....it has the 4x4 set-up.

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Edited by Luc Janssens

Depending on how accurate you want to be with your build , I wouldn’t look too hard for the 4x4 version of the Dodge kit . It comes with 4x4 components but they don’t represent what Dodge used on their trucks. The transfer case was mounted directly on the back of a shortened transmission either automatic or standard. You would have to heavily modify the parts that come with the kit, or scratch build them . As such why pay evilbay prices when a well stocked parts box will get you there! Since I have never had the the GM 4x4 kits I can’t say for sure what’s under them , but both used Dana 44 front axels and New Process transfer cases so depending what’s in that kit there might be a donor for those parts. And as for the box a couple of options, resin as has been mentioned, and old and expensive MPC kit or a fairly cheap Revell Monogram Ramcharger back half modified to fit plus it might also have the proper drive line pieces , even though it’s 1/24 it wouldn’t be too much work to make those components work! I used to own a 78 just like the picture and have wanted to build a model of my truck.

25 minutes ago, PettyKW43 said:

Depending on how accurate you want to be with your build , I wouldn’t look too hard for the 4x4 version of the Dodge kit . It comes with 4x4 components but they don’t represent what Dodge used on their trucks. 

Interesting didn't know that but still, the Firefighter truck is the best way to start to build the power wagon,. it has the right cowl, hood, and grille.

True. Unless you are wanting the 79 version of the truck , the Power Wagon package as in the picture was offered starting in ‘77 . Plus if you are doing the truck as pictured, you will need to swap to a small block . Dodge dropped big block engines after ‘78.

• 4 weeks later...

After checking for the Fire Fighter truck,  the cheapest kit I could find was $125 which is out of the budget and I couldn't locate a fleetside bed reasonably priced.  So I am going to go in a different direction.  I'm going to make a Ramcharger Power Wagon instead.  I found some pics of a '79.

I'm not crazy about the rims on this or in the Ramcharger kit that I can see.  Where can I find a set of wheels and tires like these in the bottom picture?

Thanks for any help with this!

1979 Ramcharger Macho Power Wagon Side.jpg

1979 Ramcharger Macho Power Wagon Left Side.jpg

wheels.jpg

Edited by Ironman63

Please let me know if you find anything on the rims. I have been working on my Ramcharger turned into a 75 Plymouth Trailduster. I am almost done, but can't seem to find a rim that looks right for the truck. It is a Forest Service truck and chrome slot mags are just not right.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Please let me know if you find anything on the rims. I have been working on my Ramcharger turned into a 75 Plymouth Trailduster. I am almost done, but can't seem to find a rim that looks right for the truck. It is a Forest Service truck and chrome slot mags are just not right.

Great looking model, Scott.

I think I found them.  I was looking on  the bay and ran across a set in parts.  They are off of the AMT '78 Firestone Ford 4x4. 

https://www.hobbylinc.com/amt-78-ford-pickup-1-25-plastic-model-truck-kit-858

It's not heresy to put Ford rims on a Dodge is it?  lol

Edited by Ironman63

As long as blasphemy is being propagated, I'll throw in my two bits as well. 

Several of the common Chevy/GMC 4x4's kits of this era came with white or chrome spoke wheels styled like you are after.  I  don't know if there would be a mounting problem, but it's worth investigating.  They are plentiful and cheap.  Revell, MPC, AMT, etc all had/still offer these kits.

Peace.

For me the idal rims would be something that looked like the stock steel wheel with a dog dish hub cap. All that I have found have been for cars and they won't fit the kits 1/24 scale tires. I might be able to find some generic steel wheels with tires. But not sure where to look. Any suggestions of Resin casters that would have something? It would need to be a stock looking steel 5 lug rim with a stock sized off road style tire.

I know Mobius has something close in the Ford 4x4 truck kit, but no caps. I am sure I could find the caps through a resin dealer, but have not found the wheels.

It looks like both the OP (Ironman63) and I are building the 1/24 scale Revell 1980 Dodge Ramcharger. And you are correct, those wheels are no good.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Those would be a very poor choice, as they have no lug nuts:

fa58e133-102a-450d-8e4d-276f20c88132.jpg

Which scale are you building in? 1/24 or 1/25?

4 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

For me the idal rims would be something that looked like the stock steel wheel with a dog dish hub cap. All that I have found have been for cars and they won't fit the kits 1/24 scale tires. I might be able to find some generic steel wheels with tires. But not sure where to look. Any suggestions of Resin casters that would have something? It would need to be a stock looking steel 5 lug rim with a stock sized off road style tire.

I know Mobius has something close in the Ford 4x4 truck kit, but no caps. I am sure I could find the caps through a resin dealer, but have not found the wheels.

You might want to check out Fireball Modelworks.  He has a lot of wheels and tires and is reliable.  I didn't find what I was looking for.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Those would be a very poor choice, as they have no lug nuts:

fa58e133-102a-450d-8e4d-276f20c88132.jpg

Which scale are you building in? 1/24 or 1/25?

Yep, those won't work with no lug nuts.  I didn't even notice that. 

The kit is the 1/24 scale AMT 1980 Ramcharger kit Casey.  I hope you might have some suggestions.