Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ford Zakspeed Capri (Mampe)

Ahajmano

Hi all!! 

Currently on my work bench. Apparently Hans Heyer wore a pink FRC, at least that’s what my internet search resulted in. I used a dark brown wash for the shadows/weathering as his suite looked way to clean with satin clear-coat alone. Body is black enamel. Helmet decals took several coats of micro-sol. Just need to sand, polish, add decals, and clear coat. 

Will update with more poctures. Whatcha think? 

8E26BE6C-8354-4F14-9AE1-6CE4CCFE667D.jpeg

ED49A61F-D478-4B78-BEB0-E6FC9A78BF06.jpeg

B381F933-81E2-46FB-962E-2CC911ABD3E3.jpeg

348DE131-C55E-40BD-886C-516E1BEE3170.jpeg

Thanks guys! I’m essentially following the Tamiya instructions, so the interior and chassis came out a little more cartoonish than the more realistic modern kits. 

@STYRENE-SURFER it is the same car by Zakspeed, but I’m building it with the original “Mampe” livery vs. the “Würth” livery in your link. 

Check out some videos on YouTube on Zakspeed’s history and the Capri’s in particular. At the time, the motor sports world was shocked at how well they performed against the domestic (relative) German cars. 

Sad news today. I thought the decals were going to hold up. After my fourth decal, one started disintegrating in water :(. I am pretty sure they were printed back in the 80’s. Ah well. Since no one has the Mampe decals in stock (if you find them, you are my hero), I purchased the Würth decals, black-car version. Il get back to working on it when they arrive. 

14 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Looking good. Sorry bout your decal luck. Been there, I coat mine now

Wonder if one of these would make a good donor to make the Capri more detailed.

download (37).jpg

The MonogramIMSA Miller and Ford Motorsports Mustangs are the same car slightly altered for IMSA spec. They would be perfect. 

s-l640.jpg

Edited by Dave Van