Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ford Zakspeed Capri (Mampe)

Ahajmano

Update: got my other kids in the mail so was able to use the decals. Decided to do the Mampe as originally planned. Making some progress on the decals. They are a PITA for sure! Getting some permanent wrinkles from the microsol that I’m having trouble solving. Also had three decals rip on me, so there are some seam lines. Could be worse I suppose. 

DFD96486-3E55-4526-8C62-6C7E26C87866.jpeg

7162D3DA-44B0-4725-BF31-63EB8FC4C08C.jpeg

If these are completely dry like this - I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. Decals shrink after microsol ,and of it dried with a wrinkle, its most likely fused together by now.

You need to have a stiff wide brush for these large decals, and a hair dryer. Position the decal, apply setting solution, and spread it over with a wide brush. One it starts wrinkling, use heat from hair dryer t help it and constantly brush the decal to smooth the wrinkles. Do NOT overdo with the heat and apply very little pressure with the brush. It takes a lot of time to make these conform to curves. Some decals are better than others.

Cartograf makes the best decals I have worked with. Studio 27 is not bad. Tamiya is mid-pack.

Edited by Italianhorses

1 hour ago, Italianhorses said:

If these are completely dry like this - I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. Decals shrink after microsol ,and of it dried with a wrinkle, its most likely fused together by now.

You need to have a stiff wide brush for these large decals, and a hair dryer. Position the decal, apply setting solution, and spread it over with a wide brush. One it starts wrinkling, use heat from hair dryer t help it and constantly brush the decal to smooth the wrinkles. Do NOT overdo with the heat and apply very little pressure with the brush. It takes a lot of time to make these conform to curves. So decals are better than others.

Cartograf makes the best decals I have worked with. Studio 27 is not bad. Tamiya is mid-pack.

Thanks! Ah well... live and learn :) 

Latest update:

Wheels clear coated and put on chassis. Body clear coated with the last of my clear enamel. All future models will be with Zero 2k. Just need to clean up the clear coat blemishes, install windows and add a few more details. Almost done. 

B7EC5711-AD1F-4A58-83D2-B55334128442.jpeg

8787175E-489B-4C0C-8B06-3C7B11E20F26.jpeg

C861AD83-15C4-4CC3-8919-B7E931EAEBE9.jpeg

F6A8E42D-EAB0-44CE-B685-6415963640C3.jpeg

B4B14289-E39B-442F-9E54-7262B73D6ADD.jpeg

Thanks!!! Yeah those decals are a bear. They rip easily, and crease something awful with microsol.  In the future, I will skip the sol altogether, except for the curves. I have two more of these kits with different liveries. I’m thinking of just calling this one “done” and moving onto the rest. I will post it in the “under the glass” once I get the remaining details put together