Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adrift in a sea of losers! Throw me a line!

Faust

I’m sure everyone’s heard of an embarrassment of riches, right? Well, what happens when the riches you have are embarrassing, and they’re so plentiful that you get paralyzed by choice?

Well, for one thing, you get what happened to me! At my local show just recently, I hit the vendors hard, and got so many amazing kits that I am a bit stuck for which one to open up and review first! When you’re weighing things like a Firebird station wagon, a four-door Corvette, a BRAT and a Messerschmitt cycle car, it’s not easy to come to a quick decision.

So, I’m doing what anyone would do, when staring down the Magnum PI Vanagon and a Suzuki Samurai… I’m asking for help!

Check out my awesome score of total automotive oddballs, and give me a hand with a vote for what you want to see as the next out of box car on the Lagoon! Just follow the link below, but be ready… awesomeness awaits!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/scores-and-collections/london-model-show-haul-2018/

london-haul-2018-001.jpg?w=480

There's a poll at the bottom of the post (at the Sprue Lagoon).

I can't go and vote, since I made the poll, but if you guys vote on that poll, then I'll know which way the wind is blowing for sure.

The Lil Red Express is winning so far, but the voting's for a week. 

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Done! 

"I had the great fortune to encounter a hole bunch of very awesome car kits."  Is that a typo, or a Freudian slip? :P

A bit of both. I actually started writing something about a "rabbit hole" of awesome car kits, but then forgot to change the "hole" when I changed my mind. :0

Since the Messerchmitt is unwrapped, I took a look at it. YIKES!!

There's so much PE and white metal in there... I don't even know how to put it together properly! 

I'm not going to say I'm going to disagree with you about the relative easiness of the kits!

You could have doubled your agony, and got the kit shown below, with the Messerschmitt KR200 and BMW Isetta 300.  What you have is the "High Tech" version of the KR200.  The Isetta also got that "High Tech" treatment, with white-metal and photo-etch parts. 

Then Gunze released the double kit with both cars, but dropped all the white-metal and photo-etch from both.  I have the double kit and just checked - plastic parts and rubber tires only.

You probably noticed that the roof, windows and body sides of the KR200 are all molded as one big clear piece.  Survive masking/painting that, and we have to glue the very delicate, separate chrome windshield surround and window-trim pieces onto the clear windows.  That should be fun.  (The Isetta is even more...interesting; its whole body is one big clear part.)

Good luck!

gs-3.JPG

Edited by Mike999
error3

Mike:

At the sale where I got the KR200, I actually saw the above kit as well! I immediately regretted buying the High-tech one, since I love Isettas too. I did notice that it was all clear. What in the living... anyway, I thought "Maybe my brother will build the other 'Schmitt, or I could make a "zwilling" (German for a 'twin', a fetish they had in the war)". However, when I saw the person wanted $55, and I know they are not a good bargainer, I gave up and was glad I'd bough the High-Tech version for much, much less. :)

Now, if someone could do a PROPER Isetta, maybe in 1/16, that would rock!

• 3 months later...

They're all cool, actually; I was very lucky to find them all in one place!

As for the Brat, however, I have to wonder what's up with the whole back wall of the interior being setup they way it is. Clearly going to need some surgery there. 

The Messerschmitt is neat, but I think it sacrifices too much to the "multimedia" gimmick. I'd rather just have had plastic with the same detail. It's easier to work on!

Revell Germany did the Isetta in 1/16 last year. Haven't bought one because I'm not into big scale but they are still around. The double kit of the KR-200 and Isetta are quirky but both are very buildable. Built both just a few years ago and wish I could find that double kit kit again. I also wish  a conversion kit to do the KR-200 Tiger existed. Aaah if wishes were horses, or however that old saying goes. You do have a good haul of choice kits, well done.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, Faust said:

My Magnum van is 1/25. I have the Westfalia Joker kit, and it's a Revell Germany kit and it's 1/25 too. I don't know if it's the same basic kit, but I'd suspect it would be. 

It is.

All of Revell's Vanagons are based on the same tool, but have different roof and interior parts.

Very nice kit! I like the original Westfalia issue from 1982. Box art was too enticing to pass up.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

It is.

All of Revell's Vanagons are based on the same tool, but have different roof and interior parts.

Very nice kit! I like the original Westfalia issue from 1982. Box art was too enticing to pass up.

Here's another version from 1983, clearly labeled "1/25" but also clearly aimed at the European market. It builds a replica of a real German ambulance. This is one of my favorite VW bus/vans.  The kit includes storage cabinets for the interior, a gurney/stretcher and a wheelchair!

vw_amb.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Here's another version from 1983, clearly labeled "1/25" but also clearly aimed at the European market. It builds a replica of a real German ambulance. This is one of my favorite VW bus/vans.  The kit includes storage cabinets for the interior, a gurney/stretcher and a wheelchair!

vw_amb.jpg

That's cool, I'd like to find one of those!