Model Cars Magazine Forum

Michaels in Canada

I probably speak for most of the Canadian members here when I say this. 

But I always laugh when our American friends talk about going to Michaels and getting kits and supplies, and discuss inventory and deals and what not.

I was at Michaels today.

Here's the model section.

For automotive, and not including the snap kits, literally four options, and five kits total. Double it if you include the snap kits. Maybe another five or six if you add in the planes and helicopters.

Needless to say, I do NOT come home with a score today. :P

20180930_143514.jpg

The Michaels here in Fredericton has a 10 or 12 foot long isle of kits.  ,,,

BUT, last time I was in was a few months ago and they hadn't restocked since the Christmas season. 

We're also lucky enough to have a local hobby shop that's also the Canadian distributor for Scale Finishes paint.

Was in the nearest Michaels to me about a week ago and decided to count the number of models on the shelf, only took a minute, 48. Hadn't been in the store for nearly a year but then they had a whole aisle. I expect to find none the next time I'm in there. There problem has always been the high prices.

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I probably speak for most of the Canadian members here when I say this. 

But I always laugh when our American friends talk about going to Michaels and getting kits and supplies, and discuss inventory and deals and what not.

I was at Michaels today.

Here's the model section.

For automotive, and not including the snap kits, literally four options, and five kits total. Double it if you include the snap kits. Maybe another five or six if you add in the planes and helicopters.

Needless to say, I do NOT come home with a score today. :P

20180930_143514.jpg

I see four kits I could possibly be persuaded to take home- with a 50% off coupon. I have the Bronco (but could possibly use a 2nd), have stockpiled several versions of the '69 Camaro, but wouldn't mind the Ford pickup or the Husky & Starch Torino.

Truth be told, I would likely buy them at the local hobby shop, or buy a more niche type kit from the LHS that is higher up on my list of wants. I am happy to say, there are three well stocked LHS within a half hour drive from home, and I don't mind paying up at one to make sure they have a reason to stay in business. The brick & mortar hobby shop has overhead, and a fair amount of money tied up in maintaining extensive inventory, so I support them when I can. 

I have had a few clearance scores at Michaels over the years, but have found more than a few south of the border at a newly opened Hobby Lobby for $7.94 US. I save those clearance kits for impulse buys, and think long and hard when paying retail to ensure it is a subject I really want.

On 01/10/2018 at 10:32 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

I can't recall if the one I use in Calgary even has any models, but it's just down the road from PM Hobby, so I go there for model stuff, and I go to Micheals for the craft things that are useful for modeling that PM doesn't have.

I make trips down to Calgary specifically to hit PM Hobbycraft. And I'll usually head over to Chinook Hobbies as well, he always seems to have a decent selection. 

On 01/10/2018 at 8:50 AM, Bullitt said:

Pretty well the same here in Saint John, N.B. Always excited to get their 50-55% coupons, then the disappointment sets in when I approach the model section.

That's even if you can find the model section; every time I go in there they move it and shrink it.

I gave up on Michaels a long time ago. At the time they were selling kits at $35 each, when the local hobby shops were at $25 or so.  I think everything in Michaels has an inflated price to compensate for those coupons everyone is so fond of. The poorly stocked and worn-out products (markers, paints etc) bothered me too.

I last visited Calgary's Model Land in 2011 or so; I thought their prices were maybe 15-20% higher than Chinook or PM Hobbycraft but they had a ton of interesting stuff sitting around. My go-to for the last decade has been PM Hobbycraft.  It's a 3+ hour trip for me to get to Calgary, so visits are infrequent.  Now that kit prices are so high, I find it's easier and cheaper to just order older kits online instead of buying new releases for $45+. 

I wish I had stocked up on Lindberg '53 Fords and Testors Smoothster kits when Chinook had their "clearance attic" section. They had a waist-high stack of Smoothsters for something like $5 per kit. Nobody wanted them. Now I see the exact same kit selling for regular prices online. Insane! I'd happily trade a pile of 'em for some new releases, haha.

But yeah, Michaels. A last resort, IMHO. 

8 hours ago, Spex84 said:

But yeah, Michaels. A last resort, IMHO. 

Agreed, got enough cheap stones 4x4s now  :P

Two fully stocked and current hobby shops in the red deer area, one aligned with computers/games and the other with r/c stuff are usually enough to keep me supplied. Always look forward to a visit to Chinook though for older stuff. 

mike

P1019778.JPG

Edited by mk11

It's compusoft in red deer. Wildside hobbies has a similar selection but prices are a little lower. Even at general retail here, the prices are usually less than what online ordering with associated shipping and exchange amounts to.

mike