Model Cars Magazine Forum

"T" time, Bloke!

Hoffman

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, Eric Macleod said:

I agree with the others.  I completed the only full set of the 26-27 cars I have ever seen. Yours, however is vastly superior in quality.  I know first hand what it must have taken to build these. Well done sir!

Eric, thank you, and you're too kind, Sir! :) I've seen your Model T's lurking in the background, behind your Duesenbergs. Is there a prior post where I can get a closer look at your Fords? I still need to do a Fordor. 

59 minutes ago, Hoffman said:

Eric, thank you, and you're too kind, Sir! :) I've seen your Model T's lurking in the background, behind your Duesenbergs. Is there a prior post where I can get a closer look at your Fords? I still need to do a Fordor. 

Here (I hope) is the link to my 26-27 build thred.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Alan, Jerry, Bob- Thank you, Guys!! 😀 Glad you enjoyed them. I really did nothing but Model T's for......oh gosh.......long time. It was worth it though. Eric can relate, he's built up a stable as well. I've got some more to build still....eventually. :)

Jerry, that stake bed is based on the regular AMT '25 roadster. I lengthened the chassis and the torque tube drive line. The bed was made from scratch using Plastruct square tube for the side rails, flat sheet, and grooved basswood insert for the floor. The gates are varnished balsa wood with insect pin heads as stove bolts. The cab uses the roadster cowl and doors, and the rest was scratch built from Plastruct sheet. I cut out the aprons from the fenders to match a full size TT truck. Most don't have them. The front tires are standard AMT roadster tires. The rears are from the AMT '27 touring kit. I filed down the outside rib on the '25 wheels to allow those tires to stretch over them. The spokes on the wheels were painted to resemble the real wood and then varnished so that over time they'll yellow the same way. The stake bed and the '27 Coupe are probably my favorites.

Thanks Tim for the very helpful info.  I asked because I have reciently started working on a hot rod version of this truck. I will be posting soon in WIP . May I ask, how much did you lengthen the frame?

Jerry

On 3/23/2022 at 4:43 PM, Nazz said:

Thanks Tim for the very helpful info.  I asked because I have recently started working on a hot rod version of this truck. I will be posting soon in WIP . May I ask, how much did you lengthen the frame?

Jerry

No problem, Jerry. A full size Model T has a 100" wheelbase. Most sources say a Model TT is either 124" or 125". A 1/25 scale AMT Model T is just under 4". The stretch should be about 1", or 5" overall for a TT. My truck was built a long time ago, eyeballed from photographs. It's a little under 5". But for a Hot Rod, really you could make it whatever looks good to you. 😀