Model Cars Magazine Forum

Throwing in the towel. Need some advice

Ill try to keep this short and not get to emotional about it.

For the record, this IS NOT a for sale post. I understand the rules. Just need some advice so I am reaching out to a community that I have been following for what feels like forever.

I've been trying to enjoy this hobby for the last 15 - 20 years of my life but always seem to have to put it on pause. My first place was renting a room so as soon as the rest of the house smelled the paint it was game over. Then I upgraded to my own studio but I was working 2 jobs 14 hours a day 7 days a week. No time. Then work had me moving from apartment to apartment, so I could never get set up to really build. Always get half way into a kit.. then have to pack all my stuff.

Now, older I have a garage, in a house. All the space I need. But I have kids, a wife.. and very little time for hobbies. I've been thinking this over for months and I have decided to keep my woodworking hobby, as I hope that in the near future that could lead to a side business or at least a job I enjoy.

So I am deciding on how to sell all of my model car stuff. Tools, kits, spray booth, paint.. you know the whole deal. I mean I could try posting the whole lot on CL, or I could sell each kit individually on Ebay. I would probably make more that way but shipping and time.. its a lot of work. I have maybe 60 - 80 unbuilt kits.. too many decals, resin and plastic accessories to list.

What would you all do? Photo every part and sell it on ebay separately, post the whole lot in one add on CL?

I do wish I could use the forums as an outlet, but rules are rules.

I guess if anything, if any of you all are local to the SF Bay Area, send me a PM you can take a look at what I have and maybe you'd be interested.

I will be keeping a few select kits. Basic tools. When the kid is older maybe he'll be into it. I just cant store it all plus we are moving out of Ca in a few years so the less we take with us, the easier it will be. I already have a garage full of woodworking tools to bring with us!

Thanks,

James

i-vKjpWf3-M.jpgi-ckrWjDR-M.jpg

i-qB77Rnz-M.jpgi-sV2qktK-M.jpg

Consider starting on either Facebook Marketplace, or as you said, Craigslist. Both prioritize by location, I believe. If you find a local buyer, that may save you, and the buyer on packing & shipping .

I would keep it all unless you need to sell because you need the funds. I have quit this hobby at least 5 times in my life and have gotten rid of most building supplies. Seems I always get sucked back in. Some of my absences have been years and some a few months. I "quit " a few months ago but I missed it and started building again but limited. You may very well be back to the hobby.

24 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

Consider starting on either Facebook Marketplace, or as you said, Craigslist. Both prioritize by location, I believe. If you find a local buyer, that may save you, and the buyer on packing & shipping .

Yea, so far my plan wold be to post a ton of photos on CL and attempt to sell as a whole. CL doesn't always work out they way you like though, and I just dont feel like having the garage a mess for weeks while it all sells haha

33 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I would keep it all unless you need to sell because you need the funds. I have quit this hobby at least 5 times in my life and have gotten rid of most building supplies. Seems I always get sucked back in. Some of my absences have been years and some a few months. I "quit " a few months ago but I missed it and started building again but limited. You may very well be back to the hobby.

I agree with Ray, if you get rid of everything I think it is a big mistake.  Kids get older and move out one day life will settle down,  if you enjoy building like I do keep it.  My wife complains about how many models I have at least every two weeks but don't care I just tell her this is the one thing I love doing and I ain't giving it up.  Now I am trying to slim it down but mostly doubles.   Keep them, store them, move them your self,  if you like it keep it life is short.    That feels better.B)

I am in the keep some of it camp. Favourite or rare kits and certainly keep the spray booth and tools. Sell supplies, paint and duplicate/junk kits

You can use the spray booth for woodworking when varnishing stuff and vent the bad stuff away form your lungs

I still have a wack of leather working tools, woodworking and art stuff I have gathered and kept after we moved and built a house. I bounce around among those hobbies when I have time and motive.

My kids are just heading out of high school now and I am finding my time is shifting to some more free hobby time again....you will too

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I agree with Scott. When I packed kits to sell at a show, my cardboard boxes (2' x 2' x 2') held from 20 to 25 kits. I would consider keeping about 1/3 of what you own. Choose the kits you really like. This might end up occupying one carton. The other 2/3, I would bundle into lots of say 5 kits. You could then sell them as bundles. Keep the contents of a bundle themed, such as all muscle cars. Vary the desirability of the kits within each bundle. Some of high value and some average. If the equipment does not take up a lot of space, I would just hold onto it and take it with you. Hope this helps.

Edited by Bill Eh?

I've quit a couple of time myself. Now I'm back into it. I did try to sell my kits. But everyone wanted to pay way less than the $10 a kit I was asking. I didn't want to break it up. Over 80 un-started kits for $800. They all said it was too expensive. So I kept them. Found this forum and I'm now happily back into building. So if you can pack them up. I would. Never know what the future will bring. And plus you have to deal with packing and shipping with Ebay. And you have to pick through all the crazies who will contact you through Craig's list before you find the one serous buyer. Is it really worth selling? And even on Facebook. Some clubs have member being taken for a ride. So even that way of selling is iffy. And if in the future you decide to build again. Imagine how expensive it will be to start buying kits again. Since I've been in the forum I've seen the prices on kits almost double. And I joined last March. OK. I'll shut up. ^_^

I'd box it all up and store it. I think that most of the people on the forum have been in your position in one way or another in their lives. For example you have a very nice paint booth that you would be lucky to get $50.00 for it. Your other tools would be even worse. At this point it is all a "sunk cost" in accountant speak. Should you store these items including the models and at a later date life changes you might be very surprised what the cost of these items would cost to replace years later.  

I don't know how many posts I have seen here that bemoan the fact that "they use to have  .... and threw/gave or sold it all".  Many regrets have been voiced here.  Think of it this way.  Nothing you own now will be cheaper in the future.  It costs very little for a good box and a place to store it.  Rebuying it will be very expensive.  Now some things, such as paints and glue will not last so toss that, but tools, kits and accessories are worth keeping.  No regrets!

Edited by Pete J.

38 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I don't know how many posts I have seen here that bemoan the fact that "they use to have  .... and threw/gave or sold it all".  Many regrets have been voiced here.  Think of it this way.  Nothing you own now will be cheaper in the future.  I costs very little for a good box and a place to store it.  Rebuying it will be very expensive.  Now some things, such as paints and glue will not last so toss that, but tools, kits and accessories are worth keeping.  No regrets!

^^^^ What he said!! ^^^^^ ;) 

I agree with Mr. Obsessive. You seem to have a lot invested in the hobby and will bring pennies on the dollar if you sell. Get some good boxes and store. Safe space for storage can be a problem.

One way to legitimize your hobby is to get some other family member involved.

Good luck!

A very similar situation has popped up on another forum, whereas the member is having medical problems and needs to hop out of the hobby.

He wishes to sell everything in one deal. Even at that, everyone suggests that he keep his model building stuff, in case his health has a turn for the better.

I tend to echo the opinions of the other members in this thread. If, at all possible, I'd keep the tools, and my very favorite kits, started or not, and let the paints and adhesives go. They are perishable around my house, and I'd think they would be elsewhere, as well. LOL

One solution not mentioned is to check and see if there are any model shows/swap meets coming up in your area. These can be a great way to move your stuff to someone else for a minimal cost. No shipping, a small booth fee and a half day of your time can bring the desired result. I do agree that holding on to certain kits and definitely the tools will be the best thing to do as you might find yourself wanting to build something in the coming years and the tools might be useful in other endeavors.

I'm in for keeping it as well. My wife and I looked at relocating to CA for work, and it would have been temporary. Our plan was to take what we needed, put the rest in a storage unit and rent out our house. We knew it wasn't a permanent move. It all fell through in the end but we weren't ready for a drastic permanent change. 

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

One solution not mentioned is to check and see if there are any model shows/swap meets coming up in your area. These can be a great way to move your stuff to someone else for a minimal cost. No shipping, a small booth fee and a half day of your time can bring the desired result. I do agree that holding on to certain kits and definitely the tools will be the best thing to do as you might find yourself wanting to build something in the coming years and the tools might be useful in other endeavors.

∆∆  This  ∆∆.   Keep your tools and select kits and thin out the rest at a swap meet. No packing and shipping woes.

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

This is a very common story. I'll say to you, I've never known a modeler that has disposed of his stash that didn't regret it. Period. Maybe not tomorrow or next week, but eventually. Box it up, store it. Eventually things will smooth out and you'll be looking for a kit.

If you absolutely must find a new home for the stuff, find a local model club. Let them know you have a collection for sale.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the comments. I have also quit or well "put on pause" this hobby several times. I do always come back to it in some form. The thought of extra cash was nice, as I do need some tools for the woodworking hobby, but with shipping and other costs I agree. I wouldn't get what I would want. 

I think it will be best to keep my most favorite kits. And my tools. Ill sell the rest and pack it all away. I did always plan to keep a few for my youngest. But hes only 2. So I have years before he's ready. My two oldest 14 and 9 initially showed interest then moved to other hobbies. Sports and computers.. So the attempt was made at least.

Ive received a few PMs as to what I have. Once I get it separated and figured out I can met anyone know who is interested. PM me if you wish. and when I do I will send over a list.

Thanks again!

Keep an eye out for model contests or swap meets; get a vendor table (or two/three etc.) and sell your stuff there.

The last time I did this, a gentleman came up near the end of the day and asked "How much for everything?" We negotiated an agreeable price and I didn't bring anything back from the show (aside from the income on the sales).

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

Keep an eye out for model contests or swap meets; get a vendor table (or two/three etc.) and sell your stuff there.

The last time I did this, a gentleman came up near the end of the day and asked "How much for everything?" We negotiated an agreeable price and I didn't bring anything back from the show (aside from the income on the sales).

This has been my experience as well. There is usually one or two people there that are looking to buy collections at a decent prices and that can ease the burden of selling a lot of kits.

Are the kits opened? If so fold the boxes down and use gallon bags to store the contents. You'll be amazed at how much air you store on your shelf. The spray booth will break down by removing 20 screws. Unless you have a lot more than in the photos, with the exception of the spray booth, all you have will store in 3-4 medium size boxes. I'll admit I sell on eBay and other spots. With the amount of reissues on the market, older non first issue kits just aren't bringing what they used to. I'd keep them. Even your paint may last.

Store decals in zip lock baggies with minimal light. Resin bodies need to be stored to prevent warpage, which may be your biggest challenge.

At the very least keep the tools and supplies  -they come in handy around the house and you already have a woodworking hobby.  I can see model tools being handy on occasion there.  Kits?  Your call.  Kep the ones that you want the most and pack them so they don't take so much room.  I'm dealing with a 30 year collection of toy cars right now, because I don't have room to display and/or store them all.  They can be rebought at some point IF I ever want them again.  And someone may be looking for the kit.

I have come to the point where it is more important to get rid of old builds and kits than to hold on them for some long ago sentiment.  And $10 for a kit or build that is doing nothing is better than it taking up space because I spent $50 in aftermarket parts.  Now I am keeping the ones that have special value - an all pink 62 Pontiac custom for example, that I built for my daughter when she went through her "all pink" phase.  And the money made can help you buy more woodworking stuff..  Or in my case, my ebay proceeds are going for a new riding mower.  

Good luck figuring it out.