Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 10/2/2018 at 12:44 AM, alan barton said:

I keep the really cool old AMT , Revell and Monogram boxes with nice artwork but for all the rest, I cut them down and store them in plastic sleeves in lever arch files.  Takes very little time or space to organise and it can be great fun to go back and revisit old kits from your youth.

Now, at the risk of sounding like a reformed alcoholic, here is how I store my parts.  I have passed this idea on to many of my model making friends and it has been working for me for over forty years - I have found no need to change it!  And in case you are wondering, I am not a neat freak - quite the opposite.  The difference between me and a complete slob is that while I am good at making a mess, I recognise the need to clean up from time to time and my system has worked for me for a long time.

Surrounding my model bench I have two sets of pigeon holes holding approximately 180 small flat boxes that used to hold photographic paper - I used to teach photography in a former life.  At the back of my bench are five of those plastic nut and bolt tray cabinets that you get at a hardware store.  You need to find some form of container that you can obtain lots of, in a consistent size and cheaply.  Avoid round containers (jars, cans etc) like the plaque - they waste space obscenely!

So, you start your modelling hobby and you take one of these boxes and you write on it "tyres" (OK, tires for you guys!).  When that box fills up as it surely will, you get a second box and label it "Racing Tyres" . The first box gets relabelled "Street tyres" and you then sort your tyre stash into the two boxes accordingly.

Some time later your Racing Tyre box fills.  So you get a third box and call it "Drag Racing tyres" and the other becomes "Circuit racing tyres"'.  Split the contents of the Racing tyre box into the two new boxes.  When the Drag racing tyre box fills up, split it into Goodyear slicks and M&H slicks.  You get the idea.  There is one overwhelmingly simple, fundamental rule to all of this:

"Never duplicate, always split!"

The benefits of this system?  Well, when I am looking to start a new model, or maybe restore an old one, there is no need to sort through thousands of parts - you just go directly to the box describing the part you are looking for. 

Secondly, when I am cleaning up my benchtop, I can do it in less than an hour - no wasted time thinking "Where will I put this?"  You just put it in the fenders skirts box or the fuel injection box or whatever it may be.  Obviously this works mostly for the smaller parts - I still have old kit boxes with old bodies, chassis and interior tubs.

Finally, this system is inflation proof.  As your collection grows, there is no need to start over - you just keeping splitting boxes. OK, I have filled more than one box with those horrible AMT Goodyear Rally GTs but that probably is just telling me it's time to get rid of some!

Here's some photos to explain what I am on about.  I might be sounding a bit evangelical right now but it works well for me!

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

Absolutely fantastic sorting of parts! WOW! I keep my parts sorted by categories, but no where near as well as you. I keep all auto intakes , heads, engine blocks, interiors, chrome trim, radiators, firewalls, chassis, suspension/driveline, and pretty much the same way with large truck parts, though with the trucks I keep tote boxes full of specific make frames and bodies and associated parts separate from each other. As far as wheels, all car wheels together, and all truck wheels together. Tires go all by car or truck, and reside in about 4 full pillow cases! At least I know which b ox to go to to find that one of a kind part, though I often never find it! All in all, not counting my very large cache of resin, my parts for all cars and trucks, would fill about 16 thirty gallon storage totes. But I really LIKE your system!

• 1 year later...

I agree!  What a great way to organize parts!  I like the ethos of it - always naturally dividing down into more and more organized versions of itself as it gets bigger.  Brilliant!  And like you say Alan - it’s inflation-proof!  I’ll definitely be doing this myself, it’s great! 

I only have about 35 builts so far. My "parts" stash is not very big so all of it fits in a dresser drawer. I mostly use the bottom of model boxes and baggies inside of those. Since I can see right into the boxes I have not gotten into labeling anything yet. Directions in one box, decals in another, engines in another box etc. I guess I have accidentally performed the split not duplicate method regarding tires. It does make for very quick searches. My box tops I fold and keep under the dresser. I have all my unbuilts and stalled projects in one of those Ikea wardrobe cabinets. It hides them when closed and shows all the ones in front when open. Completes are in a recently acquired display cabinet to keep the kitty away from them.

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
correct phot orientation

I have the extra parts stored in several old kit boxes with written info as to the contains on the end of the box. I also use few large plastic drawer type cabinets but nothing as organized as some of the pictures I've seen here that others are using. I do save the empty boxes in the event of a move in residents. I can usually store two builds in one box with Kleenex and paper wrapping for protection. I haven't moved in almost 20 years but the wife is pushing for a new smaller home so that may very well be in the near future for me anyway. 

jeez, some of you guys are REALLY organized. I have boxes of parts from who knows what kit stored in whatever box. I do have some big boxes of wheels/tires, aftermarket chrome plated parts, engines, separate small box for flathead engine parts, all my Rep and Mins resin in a big box, three boxes of decals, other than that, it's a pretty big mess that gets frustrating when I'm looking for some parts I know I have but don't know where. I'm too olde to change now, I reckon...I, too, buy lots of parts on FleaBay..... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

On 12/11/2019 at 5:57 PM, gtx6970 said:

model boxes go in the trash. unless its one from a vintage kit .

Even those I have quite a few I may just toss ,,,no one wants to give me anything for them and I'm getting tired of them taking up space 

I'm an incurable pack rat!  I will fold up model boxes, both tops and bottoms together, and put them away.  I have a few movers boxes of them saved this way!  I  use some for parts storage.  I do recycle torn or damaged boxes, and fairly recent ones where I've owned multiple copies. 

On 10/2/2018 at 11:49 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Excellent points.

Has anyone to date had any adverse reactions between vinyl tires and baggies?

I have tires 4 per bag stored and so far no tire bag reaction but I buy the same bags from Hobby Lobby every time ...

On 10/2/2018 at 12:41 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I never have, and I've been bagging my tires in bags for 30 years. I've probably saved my plastic parts because of it, though. 

I think the baggies are a different type of plastic. 

I have no idea what their made of but I bet it’s cheap stuff from China.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, crazyjim said:

I have several of the plastic multi-drawer units as well as several larger units (3 drawer).  Large parts go into cut down 2 liter pop bottles and then into a pop bottle crate.

That is a good idea Jim, I wish I had the space for it. I do save every single build instruction even duplicates...

I have a harder time keeping my paint organized tbh.

For kits (of all subjects) once a build is complete or if I know I'm not using certain parts I will take them and put them in there own small "organizer box" I bought a ton of those small boxes with compartments from the dollar store, they were a buck each and they are stackable.

So, I put a label on the front saying what kit it's from.

As far as wheels/tires go, I just put them together in some of the bigger "organizer boxes" from Home depot.

If my stash keeps growing, I'm gonna have to expand into the cellar... wich means I've gotta add an inside door leading to my current hobby room. Not looking forward to it.