Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '72 Nova SS "Old Pro" Pro Stock

Casey

Even throwing in a set of Pad Printed tires, and another "All New" decal sheet won't help this old kit.  As Snake says, the fit on this kit is now awful. Without a whole bunch of re-tooling, I won't be getting one.  Besides, wasn't this just out about 4 or 5 years ago, as part of the Silver Screen series, as Axel Foley's car from Beverly Hills Cop?

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Even throwing in a set of Pad Printed tires, and another "All New" decal sheet won't help this old kit.  As Snake says, the fit on this kit is now awful. Without a whole bunch of re-tooling, I won't be getting one.  Besides, wasn't this just out about 4 or 5 years ago, as part of the Silver Screen series, as Axel Foley's car from Beverly Hills Cop?

Yup. Bought two of them at Ollies's for $8 each and considered it a great deal on a "parts pack." :lol:

On 10/1/2018 at 6:05 PM, alexis said:

Even throwing in a set of Pad Printed tires, and another "All New" decal sheet won't help this old kit. 

I don't think it's been reissued in the "Old Pro" box since 2008, so I have no doubt it'll move off the shelves based on nostalgia alone. I haven't built it since the mid-'80s, and the fit wasn't great (separate front fenders were a unwelcome surprise back then), but I do dig the decals sheet and box art.

AMTOldProNovaLE7.jpg.4b9b9dbbc61c6e559e0f91cdaad2ef8a.jpg

The Decals and the box art do nothing for me. I know how bad the kit is now, and don't need one.

I just had the thought, however, that Round2 might up the ante some more by including tinted glass, and a huge decal sheet with items from  some of the other versions, this tooling has seen over the years. There hve to be older boxings than the "Old Pro" boxing, right?

2 hours ago, alexis said:

There have to be older boxings than the "Old Pro" boxing, right?

*whoops-- read "older" as "other"...*

Yes...kind of. RC2 did their "magic" on this kit:

s-l500.jpg

I think the below decal sheet was included, with the faux "Bel Air" style trim (which IIRC was a Steve Stanford sketch/idea):

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

32 minutes ago, alexis said:

The Decals and the box art do nothing for me. I know how bad the kit is now, and don't need one.

I just had the thought, however, that Round2 might up the ante some more by including tinted glass, and a huge decal sheet with items from  some of the other versions, this tooling has seen over the years. There hve to be older boxings than the "Old Pro" boxing, right?

Nope, the Old Pro was the first.  In fact, I can't think of an issue that doesn't have those decals in it.

It'll sell.  I can't recall seeing many references to the reissued '63 Corvette fastback, and it has been around for several years...someone out there is buying them...

On 10/4/2018 at 9:06 AM, Deuces said:

Cool build^^^^.... Got more pics of it?????.... ?

Click on his user name, then view Content. 

On 10/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, Snake45 said:

It's a parts mine

I'm trying to recall which parts are good from this kit...chrome plated Cragar S/S wheels, ladder bars, and the decal sheet?

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, dino246gt said:

The Revell one might be a 1969, but it's SO much better!

resized 6.JPG

In some ways it definitely is; in others, not so much. Your build is VERY nice looking, though. 

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm trying to recall which parts are good from this kit...chrome plated Cragar S/S wheels, ladder bars, and the decal sheet?

All those, plus slicks and 6-hole Rally Wheels. IIRC both engines are pretty nice except for the axle holes, which can be filled or other blocks and oil pans used. The rear panel and bumper can be grafted into the Revell body (with some work) for a MUCH more accurate Revell rear end. The front fenders (if you're parting one out) look good in a shop diorama or backdrop. And the rear part of the chassis is useful (the front suspension is pretty useless)--I'm thinking of doing an early Nova AWB funny car using this chassis with a scratchbuilt "bolt-on" front subframe with tube front axle. 

I cut off one of this kit's hood scoops, chopped it down a little, and reworked it for my '65 Chevelle wagon Modified Production. 

AMT65Chevelle83.jpg.2430e43c50c62934c275df9e4313c3a0.jpg

I have one in my stash, I think, will have to check. I had though about building it as part of a body shop diorama with the fender(s) off so I wouldn't have to fiddle with getting the fenders on straight. Sure wish AMT/Round2 would dig into their old tools and find something different to bring out.

I had one of these and the sister kit...Pontiac Ventura. Both about the same quality. Both had problems with parts fit, and this was back in the 70's!  If I remember right, neither one would sit on all four tires, either.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, Casey said:

I don't think it's been reissued in the "Old Pro" box since 2008, so I have no doubt it'll move off the shelves based on nostalgia alone. I haven't built it since the mid-'80s, and the fit wasn't great (separate front fenders were a unwelcome surprise back then), but I do dig the decals sheet and box art.

AMTOldProNovaLE7.jpg.4b9b9dbbc61c6e559e0f91cdaad2ef8a.jpg

Fit wasn't that great in the '70s, separate fenders do not fit, never did.