Model Cars Magazine Forum

Washes That Work

With something like a grille, regardless of what you use, you will have better results if you clean off the high spots anyway.

There really is no "magic bullet" that you can just apply and leave it.

I use slightly thinned acrylic craft paint & then I clean off the surfaces that are supposed to be chrome.

It takes a little time, but then again, anything that's worth doing does.

I think the results speak for themselves.

Steve

2v23Jg9y9xwUbWP.jpg

2v23hv7ZFxwUbWP.jpg

2v23E1K72xwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I've experienced difficulty doing a wash on that particular part...AMT '55 Chevy grille. Is it the Nomad kit?

Anyway...I found the grille bars shallow enough that I kept smearing the low areas when I tried to wipe the wash off the bars. That, and a too-thin black wash tends to cling to the edges and leave bare spots in the middle of each recessed rectangle.

I can't remember if I used acrylic/water or india ink, but in the end, it required several applications and very, very careful wiping of each bar with the tip of a lint-free cloth. 

I use kids' watercolors. You gradually add water, allowing you to control the viscosity. After it dries, the edge of a dampened business card can remove paint from unwanted areas.

image.thumb.png.5f1c836418bdb8578726c1ab3003deba.png

That technique also works well for dog dishes/wheel covers...

image.thumb.png.f2327c2949da8e212b54b6dbad90f080.png

The best parts: (1) if you totally screw up, soap & water cleans up the part totally; (2) the paints are CHEAP!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

I find the Vallejo washes work well. I suspect India ink with some minute amount of dish soap would work well too. 

I have been getting into more of this brand of washes, and have found them to work pretty good.

I do not use the same wash for all projects, or pieces. For kit Chrome, I prefer enamel, cleaned right away, but sometimes that is too harsh to clean off of painted pieces. In those instances where I am going over paint, I like water based paints, and really enjoy the results that Ray demonstrated above with the kids water acrylics. Like many other aspects of modeling, there is more than one way to do it, but basically, it is just practice a lot and find what works for you.