Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 Alpine Renault A442B Turbo #2 24H LeMans (D. Pironi/J.P. Jaussaud)

Italianhorses

Alex...... I am always impressed with what can be done with very basic kits, which is why I like to build the Minicraft Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud in 1:24.... and only 26 parts! Your paint work, decal work and chassis detailing is absolutely first class..... very well done Alex.

David

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Looking very good Alex.  I especially like what you have done with the bottom of the chassis.

Surprisingly, it did turn out quite ok. Thanks!

4 hours ago, afx said:

Impressive paint detail Alex.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Tommy124 said:

Looking great! Clear did work out exactly the way it should imho. Details on the chassis bottom pretty much go to show what can be done on such a simple kit!

Yup, clear did smooth it out quite nicely. Though, it was pointed out to me after it was done, that a portion of the black striping was actually semi-flat, but it was already too late!

1 hour ago, Scalper said:

Wow very nice.. looking really good

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Alex...... I am always impressed with what can be done with very basic kits, which is why I like to build the Minicraft Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud in 1:24.... and only 26 parts! Your paint work, decal work and chassis detailing is absolutely first class..... very well done Alex.

David

Yes, with proper painting things can look right. But I think 26 parts might be pushing it! :)

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, porschercr said:

Well done!

Appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

This is really turning out very neat and tidy. The repaint of the wheels in particular jumps out at me as making a huge difference in the appearance of the build. 

I agree. I think this is true for a lot of kit wheel finishes.

3 hours ago, FabbricaP said:

Beautiful paint and decal work Alex

Thanks!

All right folks, time to wrap this one up.

Headlights and covers were painted. Covers needed a white surround, and headlights are chrome-plated one-piece, so had to mask and paint the trim black.

43507345630_bb81797caa_c.jpg

Turned out fine:

45322484351_a1f5cebd28_c.jpg

The cockpit glass was masked off and trim painted:

45322486561_80da9ffb92_c.jpg

Everything installed – glass, headlights, antenna, mirrors:

43507342110_8342848995_c.jpg

Taillights were painted and also put in. I also installed the rear wing:

43507343740_8b2241b725_c.jpg

And finally, the model was married with the chassis for good:

45322481901_76def3c49a_c.jpg

Turned out great. It’s a neat little curbside kit, and I enjoyed building it. I will definitely build more of these curbside Tamiyas in the future – they are quick and fun builds.

45273675472_262dab8950_c.jpg

45273673822_43e82c7c6f_c.jpg

45322487941_559bb038d8_c.jpg

But, this is not all. I was hesitant to put the racer figure in the cockpit, as I didn’t’ want to make it look like a toy. But I did want to use him in a different setting. Since this is a LM racer, I wanted to replicate the scene where drivers were running towards their cars at the start of the race.

So the figure got chopped into few pieces – I gut the torso from the legs, and re-positioned his hips a bit, then cut off his legs at the knees, and repositioned that as well. The torso was glued at a slightly different angle, and I stuck the hands as if he was running.

43507344890_bbb33e6388_c.jpg

It turned out pretty good, though, I still need to work on proper positioning next time – from some angles it does not look very natural.

45322485741_6b8bc528b6_c.jpg

After some putty work, here is how the dude looks in primer. Painting next!

45322480581_1c24ed9632_c.jpg