Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi 1/24 BMW Z4 GT3 Presentation Version

Italianhorses

Starting this project that will be mildly super-detailed (like that’s a thing), but will definitely not go all out. Will be building this one just like on the box – presentation version. I have bunch of these kits, and will likely build some liveried versions in the future, so this will be a trial run for the kit.

44326082374_088c4da00d_c.jpg

I will use a combination of Fujimi-provided and aftermarket photoetch on this one, CF decals, and other extra bits here and there. I bought a HD PE set for this one, but some of the parts are not accurate for the presentation version, so will use what was provided by Fujimi, especially for the front and rear mesh pieces.

Fujimi fret provided in the kit:
44997764742_a6578cfcea_c.jpg

Hobby Design set:
N20150203220920234__01783.1445526623.jpg

Started with the rear mesh, hoped to drill out the mesh piece itself leaving the frame to attach the PE piece to it:

44997761272_324d35b278_c.jpg

44997759752_ded58c623d_c.jpg

In reality, it turned out too fragile, and I broke it several times while handling, so scrapped this crazy idea. After test fitting the mesh, it appears that it won’t be needed anyway.

44326080984_e53e715fa2_c.jpg

44997952172_98765d7408_c.jpg

Air outlets glued in place and seams filled:

44326079824_45a304de1f_c.jpg

Since I removed the rear mesh, I also removed the pegs where the chassis plate is mounted in the back. I wanted to retain at least two in the front, so had to come up with the solution to keep them and cut the opening for the front mesh as well. Slightly cut the sides:

44997766942_ce9e3f22fa_c.jpg

And removed the front molded piece but left most of the mounting holes there:

44997755662_bc47ca490e_c.jpg

Can’t really see it from the front:

44997757552_c1c1eb0631_c.jpg

Test-fit the mesh – still too tall – need to remove more:

44997950362_c800464f38_c.jpg

Now looks much better – tucked in nice and flush with the front spoiler:

44997948772_5a703022b4_c.jpg

This is where I am with this one for now.

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Cant wait to see this one built up!, I just got this kit myself when I discovered I didn't have any BMW's in my collection.

So. This is the only bimmer in your stash? You need to fix that! Its a really good kit from Fujimi. Usually I'm not a big fan of their kits, but this one is very good.

4 hours ago, afx said:

The PE parts in this case are a big improvement. 

Yes, it usually the case with race cars and a bunch of little pieces that typically not present in road cars. I mean, I'd get it for the harness alone. But then the mesh, the wings, the brakes...

2 hours ago, FabbricaP said:

Can’t wait to see more! This gen Z4 looks great

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Italianhorses said:

So. This is the only bimmer in your stash? You need to fix that! Its a really good kit from Fujimi. Usually I'm not a big fan of their kits, but this one is very good.

Yes, it usually the case with race cars and a bunch of little pieces that typically not present in road cars. I mean, I'd get it for the harness alone. But then the mesh, the wings, the brakes...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, Alex, it is the only one...….i'd love to get Tamiyas 850i, or Revells Z8 Alpina Roadster. I Love Fujimi kits, but they struggle to keep their clear parts clear, or scuff-free. Aoshima on the other hand is really giving everybody a run!....imagine if they did complete kits like Fujimis EM kits!!!!

27 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Unfortunately, Alex, it is the only one...….i'd love to get Tamiyas 850i, or Revells Z8 Alpina Roadster. I Love Fujimi kits, but they struggle to keep their clear parts clear, or scuff-free. Aoshima on the other hand is really giving everybody a run!....imagine if they did complete kits like Fujimis EM kits!!!!

Tamiya 850i is a re-pack of Revell kit, so is their E36 325i kit. And its a very average kit, tbh.

18 hours ago, Dougboy said:

Looks great so far. I've seen some of these kits built with some wacky ride height and weird stance but I'm sure you'll address those issues. 

Yes, I have seen some stance problems with these kits too, but I'm not at the point where I even test-fitted suspension yet. Will cross that bridge then.

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Alex!, I just picked up another beemer!...I got a Z8 at a flea market for $7.....just need a 3 series now....lol

Nice! Only beemer is a BMW bike. BMW car is a bimmer. :) As a huge fan of the marque, I feel obliged to spread the truth!

https://www.google.com/search?q=beemer+vs+bimmer

Edited by Italianhorses

First of all, this is coming along very nicely, Alex. Looking forward to the next steps...

I'm not too big a fan of modern BMW design, but the Z4 sure is an exception, just as it is a very good race car (proved by numerous wins in several 24 hour races).

A bit shocked about Dann not being stocked better in the bimmer department... :P I would definitely go for the Fujimi EM/ ROG BMW 6 series kit. Fujimi has just re-released the BMW M635 CSi kit (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1107949-fujimi-126500-bmw-m635csi) so it should be easily available. Some guy built the Alpina version of that very nicely some time ago: http://italianhorses.net/Gallery/Fujimi/B7 Alpina/b7.htm :D

As regards the 850i kit, this was released in late 1990 as part of the ROG "Premium" series. That was ROG's counterpart to Fujimi's EM series, although there was a co-operation between them including ROG releasing EM series kits (Porsche 911, Ferrari 246, BMW 6 series). I remember so well because I bought it for 50 German marks then (a lot of money back in the day) and built it right away. The kit basically was fine imho with it's main problem being the fixing of the rear and front bumpers without ruining the paint job. Last year I restored my old 850i - which had practically fallen apart during all those years - with a new paint job and using some new parts like Fujimi rims + brake disks and "M style" mirrors.

If you don't mind me posting it here, Alex, I'd like to show one photo of that:

IMG_3833.thumb.jpg.b1b13e19324b7ca21427ea27ab7ed38b.jpg

Edited by Tommy124

55 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

First of all, this is coming along very nicely, Alex. Looking forward to the next steps...

I'm not too big a fan of modern BMW design, but the Z4 sure is an exception, just as it is a very good race car (proved by numerous wins in several 24 hour races).

A bit shocked about Dann not being stocked better in the bimmer department... :P I would definitely go for the Fujimi EM/ ROG BMW 6 series kit. Fujimi has just re-released the BMW M635 CSi kit (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1107949-fujimi-126500-bmw-m635csi) so it should be easily available. Some guy built the Alpina version of that very nicely some time ago: http://italianhorses.net/Gallery/Fujimi/B7 Alpina/b7.htm :D

As regards the 850i kit, this was released in late 1990 as part of the ROG "Premium" series. That was ROG's counterpart to Fujimi's EM series, although there was a co-operation between them including ROG releasing EM series kits (Porsche 911, Ferrari 246, BMW 6 series). I remember so well because I bought it for 50 German marks then (a lot of money back in the day) and built it right away. The kit basically was fine imho with it's main problem being the fixing of the rear and front bumpers without ruining the paint job. Last year I restored my old 850i - which had practically fallen apart during all those years - with a new paint job and using some new parts like Fujimi rims + brake disks and "M style" mirrors.

If you don't mind me posting it here, Alex, I'd like to show one photo of that:

IMG_3833.thumb.jpg.b1b13e19324b7ca21427ea27ab7ed38b.jpg

That is BEAUTIFUL, Tommy!!!...I need that kit!!

Tommy, looks good.

The kit was problematic in several areas, namely A-pillar, both front and rear wheel arches/fenders, shape of the bootlid. There is more, it really needs a lot of work to properly portray the original. And its not an easy kit to put together, as the fit is very bad.

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update really, just slowly chipping away at it, test fitting stuff before starting to hack into it.

Assembled the roll cage, test fitted it to the interior, and made sure it clears the roof w/glass in. It does - so far this is a nicely engineered kit from Fujimi.

45896813902_beb12858e8_c.jpg

45896814072_b30d51ee41_c.jpg

45222057144_347f7cc239_c.jpg

Also masked off the glass for paint.

32075100408_72bd5f5de0_c.jpg