Model Cars Magazine Forum

Calling all Mopar Gurus.....

I am a gm guy..... Ive always loved the 60s and 70s Mopar stuff though, however Ive never built anything Factory Stock..... I have begun a 1970 Charger R/T Hemi build in F8 Dark green (f8 Ivy previously)  that I would like to be factory correct as it was delivered to the dealer. I am having a heck of a time finding correct useful information on the net....  I am wanting to know what tires would have been used on the car, I know that being a Hemi it would have 15" over the usual 14" and I also know that 70 was the first year of optional Rallye wheels so I have ordered a nice set from Fireball modelworks. I keep coming back to either G70-15 or G-78-15 but no brand etc. also would the same size be front and rear? Any help is much appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

Go here first, always: https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Tires sizes here: 41.jpg

Only the '70 Challenger T/A and 'Cuda AAR had different sized front and rear tires from the factory. Specific brand tires are not usually mentioned in sales literature, but sizes should be mostly accurate.

Wow, Thanks for that link, lots of great information.

Interesting question.

Kind of reminds me of a time I had my '69 Charger at a local drive in show. A young man also had a '69 Charger but it was in much need of many missing items, chrome trim etc. 

as he looked over my Charger he ask me " Where did you get all the parts?" 

Ah, they came on the car?

So what I'm getting at here, is build what comes in the kit you're building. You can't go wrong for a first time build. They usually get it pretty close to being correct.;)

16 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Interesting question.

Kind of reminds me of a time I had my '69 Charger at a local drive in show. A young man also had a '69 Charger but it was in much need of many missing items, chrome trim etc. 

as he looked over my Charger he ask me " Where did you get all the parts?" 

Ah, they came on the car?

So what I'm getting at here, is build what comes in the kit you're building. You can't go wrong for a first time build. They usually get it pretty close to being correct.;)

Kit carbs are plastic blobs, and the wheels leave allot to be desired.... 70 was the first year of the optional Ralleye wheel, so I had to order them , as I hate the Magnum 500s that come with the kit. The tires that came with the kit and the parts back are just plain tires with redline pad printing. The tires Ive ordered may not be the exact correct ( indy profile) but they are fully detailed and more accurate.

5 hours ago, mademan said:

The tires Ive ordered may not be the exact correct ( indy profile) but they are fully detailed and more accurate.

Those will not be anywhere near correct for and as-delivered to the dealer vehicle. The AMT Parts Pack shown below includes  F60-15 tires, and the Rallye wheels from the Revell '70 Hemi Cuda kit would probably would better, and they'd already be chrome plated, too.

AMTPP006-2.jpg

Edited by Casey

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Those will not be anywhere near correct for and as-delivered to the dealer vehicle. The AMT Parts Pack shown below includes  F60-15 tires, and the Rallye wheels from the Revell '70 Hemi Cuda kit would probably would better, and they'd already be chrome plated, too.

AMTPP006-2.jpg

I do have a pack of the Redline f60-15s and most of the pictures of 70 Hemis that Ive found have redlines. I like the fireball modelworks ralleye`s only because the trim ring is separate so you can easily paint the center Argent, and have the rings chromed.

Redlines disappeared after the 1969 model year . Now , some 1970 models were shown with redlines ; however , those are early-production and / or prototype models . 

I've seen pinstripe white walls on 383 and 440 powered 1970  models ; not sure if the 15" wheel / tyre was still equipped as such , as I've only seen raised white letters after 1969 .

In your first post you mention wanting your build to be factory correct. As far as the tires go the F60 x 15 would be the OEM tire and I think they could be either raised white letter or red line. Like you I also like the factory rally wheels and just about anything I have ever seen from Fireball Modelworks is going to be as accurate as can be found anywhere. You have also mentioned the desire to use the Indy profile tires. This would be a "day two" modification and also very common. These are nice tires for sure, but also look at the L60 x 15 size tires in the AMT package. This style was also very common in that era, IE same tire manufacture but a larger size. This could also get your model a slight "rake" depending on how you setup the suspension. By all means build it the way you like it.  

I'm mainly looking to have it as close to stock as possible. Our local contest has a Dealer Delivered category and I decided to challenge myself to build a car for that category; Generally I build day 2, or modified street machine style builds.

14 inch wheels were the standard rim in 1970 even on hemi cars

baseline tire would have been a Good year polyglas F70-14  ( hubcaps would have varied with how it was ordered.)  would have been either raised white letter or 3/8" pinstripe white line

if ordered with 15"  it would have been Goodyear F60-15  raised white letter on a 15x7 rim ( black rim if equipped with full wheelcovers and body colored if the small beenie wheel covers)   or rallys ( silver rim with a light argent center cap and polished trim ring )

NO redline tires avail on anything mopar in 1970

Edited by gtx6970

On 10/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, espo said:

In your first post you mention wanting your build to be factory correct. As far as the tires go the F60 x 15 would be the OEM tire and I think they could be either raised white letter or red line. Like you I also like the factory rally wheels and just about anything I have ever seen from Fireball Modelworks is going to be as accurate as can be found anywhere. You have also mentioned the desire to use the Indy profile tires. This would be a "day two" modification and also very common. These are nice tires for sure, but also look at the L60 x 15 size tires in the AMT package. This style was also very common in that era, IE same tire manufacture but a larger size. This could also get your model a slight "rake" depending on how you setup the suspension. By all means build it the way you like it.  

Dad ran L60-15's on the '70 he and Mom had back in the day, but he ran them on all 4 corners instead of just the back.

20171009_233555-1.jpg

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

14 inch wheels were the standard rim in 1970 even on hemi cars

baseline tire would have been a Good year polyglas F70-14  ( hubcaps would have varied with how it was ordered.)  would have been either raised white letter or 3/8" pinstripe white line

if ordered with 15"  it would have been Goodyear F60-15  raised white letter on a 15x7 rim ( black rim if equipped with full wheelcovers and body colored if the small beenie wheel covers)   or rallys ( silver rim with a light argent center cap and polished trim ring )

NO redline tires avail on anything mopar in 1970

Thanks. Yes I am going with the optional 15" and I managed to track down some parts pack f60-15s locally. I ordered the Rallys from Fireball also.

10 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Dad ran L60-15's on the '70 he and Mom had back in the day, but he ran them on all 4 corners instead of just the back.

20171009_233555-1.jpg

I think what your father was trying to accomplish was to have a balanced handling car by having the same tire all the way around with more rubber on the road. In reality this is the wiser thing to do. But most of use running the larger rear tire was to give the impression that we had something to back up the look and we were able to get a slight rake without spending any money on suspension parts. The fact that it would create understeer was never even a consideration. We were so smart back then.  

31 minutes ago, espo said:

I think what your father was trying to accomplish was to have a balanced handling car by having the same tire all the way around with more rubber on the road. In reality this is the wiser thing to do. But most of use running the larger rear tire was to give the impression that we had something to back up the look and we were able to get a slight rake without spending any money on suspension parts. The fact that it would create understeer was never even a consideration. We were so smart back then.  

That's exactly what he was doing,  even though he had owned multiple B-Bodies, he usually had them set up to turn and stop as well as go fast in a straight line, his '62 Plymouth and the '63 Riviera his folks (my grandparents) both had Firestone road race rain tires on them for street duty, apparently the Riv had enough work done to it that it could lift the left from kinda like the Farmtruck does when running on the street.  Now that Charger could back up the look the L60-15 tires gave it too, it was a factory 440 Sic Pack/4 Speed/Super Track Pack car, even though he ordered it to look just like a cheaper, more run of the mill 383 powered car. I do wonder is that car got any confused stares with all that tire on all 4 corners like my 200 does when some car guys see it with 235/50r18s on the stock rims, but those probably never had the rental slug stigma that the 200/Avenger has........