[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
impcon

1969 Camaro NON Z28 Hood?

Is there a resin caster that produces a hoof for a '69 Camaro that is not for a Z28, but has the chromed "air intakes" on it? I'm building a 1/25 replica of the car in the photo using the Revell convertible kit but I need the right hood. Or is there a lit that I can use the hood from that will fir for this project. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMGP1208.JPG

Some have used the 1/25 MPC '69 Camaro SS hood with varying degrees of success, too, but it will need work to fit the Revell 1/25 '69 Camaro body.

Revell did a Camaro  snap kit with that exact hood. IIRC, it was separate and a direct fit to the glue kit. Kinda hard to find though. 

Image result for revell snap '69 camaro

MPC also did a 69 convertible with that hood back in the '80s. Looks like it was reissued not too long ago. Not an exact fit but no more work than fitting a resin hood would be.

Image result for MPC also did a 69 convertible

56 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Revell did a Camaro  snap kit with that exact hood. IIRC, it was separate and a direct fit to the glue kit. Kinda hard to find though. 

Image result for revell snap '69 camaro

If there is a resin caster interested in making copies of this hood, I am pretty sure I would loan it out.

1 minute ago, mikemodeler said:

If there is a resin caster interested in making copies of this hood, I am pretty sure I would loan it out.

I think you traded it to me a while ago. :D

69sshood1.jpg.4ad7de57d1a44c3b8ecbcfd55910f71b.jpg

69sshood2.jpg.f8aa2fc363f73a832ec0d5357de835d9.jpg

Just now, Casey said:

I think you traded it to me a while ago. :D

69sshood1.jpg.4ad7de57d1a44c3b8ecbcfd55910f71b.jpg

69sshood2.jpg.f8aa2fc363f73a832ec0d5357de835d9.jpg

Well then, get busy casting copies will ya? I'd take a couple.

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Well then, get busy casting copies will ya? I'd take a couple.

That goes for me too Casey.. *grins* Seriously..

I got to thinking about this and remembered that I ordered the conversion kit from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. SRD-7104 is the kit number, includes the correct intake manifold and air cleaner along with the hood.

Casey, you can forget about casting this, looks like Norm has it covered.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this AMT hood will fit without a whole lot of drilling and blasting -

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, impcon said:

Just wondering if anyone knows if this AMT hood will fit without a whole lot of drilling and blasting -

The cowl vent depressions on the MPC hood and Revell body do not match well, so that alone would rule it out for me.

I would just buy the hood from Rep. & Min. CO of MD. You know it's going to be of excellent quality and ready to use when it's in your hands.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

The cowl vent depressions on the MPC hood and Revell body do not match well, so that alone would rule it out for me.

I would just buy the hood from Rep. & Min. CO of MD. You know it's going to be of excellent quality and ready to use when it's in your hands.

Thanks Casey,

I see what you mean about the cowl depressions not matching up. I unearthed an old built up this afternoon that I had forgotten I have and the fit is definitely unacceptable.  I'll try to contact R&M and order one.. or two of them. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post guys.  I really appreciate it.

Gary not every Z/28 Camaro came with the cowl induction hood. It was an option just like the rear spoiler. A good friend of mine purchased a 69Z from the original owner that did not have either of these options, strangely it had the Endura bumper though.  I like many other people had no idea it was an option. 

Hmmmmmmmm.. I honestly had no idea that those cars could be had with the Endura bumpers..

On 10/9/2018 at 5:29 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Gary not every Z/28 Camaro came with the cowl induction hood. It was an option just like the rear spoiler. A good friend of mine purchased a 69Z from the original owner that did not have either of these options, strangely it had the Endura bumper though.  I like many other people had no idea it was an option. 

Big Block cars did have the cowl hood, to allow the air cleaner fit. The SS hood from Replicas and Miniatures is drop in fit and looks good. They might even have the smooth hood too, not 100% sure.

14 hours ago, impcon said:

Hmmmmmmmm.. I honestly had no idea that those cars could be had with the Endura bumpers..

That was the first 69 Z that he had. He found a better one and sold that to his brother. The second one was a 4 wheel disc brake car. one of 206 or so made total. Not all of the 206 cars were z28's.  That was a fun car, nothing like sitting on a milk crate with open headers for a quick spin. LOL He then sold that a bought a 70 Z28. All nice cars when they were done.  The two cars pictured  are the first  and his last Z28's. 

100_1080.JPG

I have always thought that '69 was the best year by far for the Camaro. Many people get all excited about the split bumper cars but I seldom give them a second look - but that's just me. To each his own.  The cars in the photo which you were so kind as to post are certainly nice and to be treasured. I suspect that with all the fires and hurricanes and floods these past several years, many have been lost which is unfortunate. Not as unfortunate though as the homees and lives that are so harshly affected as with this current storm. I will say that my heart certainly goes out to those folks.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:11 PM, mikemodeler said:

Big Block cars did have the cowl hood, to allow the air cleaner fit. The SS hood from Replicas and Miniatures is drop in fit and looks good. They might even have the smooth hood too, not 100% sure.

The cowl hood, when it became available sometime after the start of the '69 model year, could be ordered on any Camaro SS (including SS350) or Z/28. It was not standard on any SS or Z/28 except the Pace Cars. It does seem to have been standard on the 9560 and 9561 COPOs, though. (I don't believe I've ever seen one that didn't have it.) Of course, from about mid-year on, the hood itself could be ordered through any Chevy store parts department, and is a direct bolt-on for all '67 and '68 Camaros as well. B)