Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
crowe-t

MPC 1974 - 77 Dodge Van Releases?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have pictures of the different box tops from the MPC 1971 - 77 Dodge van kits?

I found this one for the 1975 Dodge van online.

MPC-7522-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tom!  This is an awesome collection of pictures.  Now I just need to find one of these kits, preferably a 1974 - 77.

Edited by crowe-t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Thanks Tom!  This is an awesome collection of pictures.  Now I just need to find one of these kits, preferably a 1974 - 77.

I feel your pain Michael..... I have been trying to find some and or parts to those for years myself.   I once owned a 75 Dodge factory custom van and my dad had a 72-75 window and cargo van...Id love to be able to make replicas of them for my family owned vehicle collection someday.   Hope you find the one you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love these vans, I have a 75 dodge van sitting in my yard, I was told it was in some 80s rock band video, the passenger side was stock, the drivers side had custom wheels and a big custom emblem/mural on it, I have it forsale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once had a 1978 Sportsman 300 long wheelbase window van with seats.  

The neat thing about this series of kits is that MPC faithfully updated changes each and every year.  I once was looking for a donor van for a project and pulled out a bunch of old built ups I had and realized that every single body was different.  Things like the tail lights, grill and even the roof ribs changed over the years.  

shortyfrontshortyrear1

I built this from one of my junkers.  I started off building a cube van and then went off on this tangent instead.

IMG 2756IMG 2757

The middle section that I chopped out of the pickup bounced around the model room for awhile.  It was a paint stand at one point.  I saw it one day and said, "Why not?"  and built this camper out of it.  I still have to finish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were a lot of changes each year.  In 1978 the tail lights, marker lights, side/read window length, interior... changed but the nose stayed the same.  This was sort of an in-between year.  In 1979 the nose was squared off.

It seems in the various 1978 issues of this kit I've seen the interior has not been updated.  In order to build a correct '78 and interior from a 1979 or later kit needs to be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crowe-t said:

There were a lot of changes each year.  In 1978 the tail lights, marker lights, side/read window length, interior... changed but the nose stayed the same.  This was sort of an in-between year.  In 1979 the nose was squared off.

It seems in the various 1978 issues of this kit I've seen the interior has not been updated.  In order to build a correct '78 and interior from a 1979 or later kit needs to be used.

True....My problem is I would need to find the older Tradesman or Sportsman vans so the body style is correct.  When they first came out I could not get my hands on enough of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gray07 said:

love these vans, I have a 75 dodge van sitting in my yard, I was told it was in some 80s rock band video, the passenger side was stock, the drivers side had custom wheels and a big custom emblem/mural on it, I have it forsale

How about some pictures? Wish I was closer, would be interested in buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant get my photo bucket to work any more, send me a message with number and I will send u picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my family we owned these Dodge vans....

71-73 ? Dodge window van..it was my dads.

74/75 Dodge factory custom van....it was mine was beautiful.

73-76 Dodge cargo van..it was my dads.

74 Dodge van cab and chassis 1 ton motorhome.

id love to build replicas of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked this one up on E-Bay.  It's the 1977 with the 'NEW' on the box instead.

MPC Dodge Van:E-Bay:buddrose 1.jpg

MPC Dodge Van:E-Bay:buddrose 4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what that Chrome tree is From!!! I have one of those chrome trees in my stash. It came in a parts lot I got from eBay years ago. I knew it was Dodge, but never knew what kit it was.  Good to know. Thanks for helping me identify it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...