Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Cab Building question-AMT Kits.

The Road Boss, and Diamond Reo all share the Same Cab. (I think?)

Anyhow I have the Reo, and I have a question about the cab. As shown in the linked instructions, there are two pieces called "Lower Cab Sections" that glue to the bottom of the cab.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/big-rigs-trailers--/amt-white-road-boss/whiteroadboss09.html#media

Do I need to use some small tabs in order to get this to fit securely? The Butt Joint looks really flimsy, especially when stuffing the glass, and the interior up into the cab. I'm stuck on my build trying to figure this out. If anybody has any experience with this, I'd sure like to know!

Thanks, Alan

Raw. unpainted pieces should glue up fine and be plenty strong. I would place a piece of wet/dry sandpaper on a flat smooth surface and true up the bottom of the cab first to provide a tight seam and flow liquid cement into the joint, if you are still concerned about strength, you could place a strip of thin plastic overlapping the joint on the inside but I don't think you would need it.

The interior tub is tapered from top to bottom so there will be no stress of interference once assembled.

In building this cab which is shared by all White Motor Corporation trucks ( also known as the Autocar cab) I myself use a thin strip of .010 as a locating tab but it isn’t necessary, I like the added strength especially with today’s model cement. Plus you can play with the alignment of the panels by sanding the backside of the cab extensions.