Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:12 Tamiya Datsun Z432

stump

Hey guys, another large scale 1:12 Tamiya Datsun on the work bench.

This one is actually a fantasy build of one of Datsun's rare cars, the Z432. The name was derived from the engine specs, 4 valve, 3 carburetor and 2 camshafts. It was a 2 litre inline 6 cylinder.

Started with a Safari edition for this one as it has the standard body without the longer G-nose. I will use parts of a 240ZG kit for interior bits like seats and dash. Only addition will be the ZG over-fenders, because I like 'em. :D

As the majority of the work is going to be around the motor, I chose to start there.

The 2 litre and 2.4 litre are about as different as chalk and cheese, so I started by deleting ALL the molded in details from the kit 2400 motor, then started to add detail to resemble the smaller 2000 motor..

2v2JWbnoExfa7Y.jpg

2v2JWbF5Jxfa7Y.jpg

2v2JWbnZ5xfa7Y.jpg

This motor also slants the opposite direction so the sump will also need to be altered.

2v2Jq7RJFxfa7Y.jpg

New water passage along the top edge of the block.

2v2Jq7RBjxfa7Y.jpg

Early prototype of the water pump.

2v2Jq7RRyxfa7Y.jpg

Continues.....

Early stages of the special twin-cam head.

2v2JqFUy5xfa7Y.jpg

2v2JqF9CWxfa7Y.jpg

2v2Jqz9evxfa7Y.jpg

Twin-cam rocker cover with lettering from Plastruct,  and a test fit in the engine bay. (Early attempts at engine mounts....Changing angles of the motor was a drama. LOL :unsure: )

2v2JyntTdxfa7Y.jpg

2v2Jyn7oGxfa7Y.jpg

Continues....

One aspect of these kits I have never come to terms with, is how they divided the radiator support panel and the firewall between chassis and body.... :wacko:

My remedy has been to separate the top section of the firewall from the body, then add it on to the chassis. Add some extra braced ridges...done! The radiator support scored a complete new top section plus added detail.

2v2J5JCrGxfa7Y.jpg

2v2J5JChCxfa7Y.jpg

Moving on, I made some brake line components, "T" piece, proportioning valve and distribution block.

2v2J5JLhgxfa7Y.jpg

Splashed some colour around and started laying down some brake lines and fuel lines. Clamps were fashioned from flattened soda can aluminium and attached with either 0.8mm bolts or simulated bolts.

2v2JNWZuoxfa7Y.jpg

2v2JNWZQMxfa7Y.jpg

Continues....

The battery received a bit of detailing too as I wasn't keen on the way it looked. New base with hold down bolts were added, home printed battery logo and some 1/16 aluminium posts added.

2v2JrmWn3xfa7Y.jpg

2v2JrmnqJxfa7Y.jpg

And.....locked in!! Also printed off some body ID tags.

2v2Jrmy2Jxfa7Y.jpg

Started to add some grime down under...New fuel line and pump fitted to boost performance. :)

2v2Jrmd8vxfa7Y.jpg

New fuel distribution block installed into engine bay.

2v2Jrmdgoxfa7Y.jpg

Another home printed decal for it too..

2v2Jrmqruxfa7Y.jpg

Continues...

It had been pretty much clear sailing until about this time....I did a test fit with the head tacked in place and realized that I had made it too fat. :( No custom work is without its headaches. ;)

There is absolutely NO info anywhere on the net regarding physical sizes for this motor, so it's all been eye-ball engineered....Guess my eyes need adjusting too. Anyway, I trimmed around 3mm from down the centre of the head and rocker... :blink:

2v2J828y3xfa7Y.jpg

Once I had that sorted, I could move on to the exhaust system. 3.2mm solid solder for primary tubes, into home made 3-pipe collectors.

2v2J82Mo2xfa7Y.jpg

2v2J82MuMxfa7Y.jpg

2v2J82Ma3xfa7Y.jpg

2v2J82MKMxfa7Y.jpg

2v2J82Mw3xfa7Y.jpg

And that's where we sit for now...Some painting and on to assembly soon. :)

Comments and critique welcome, cheers guys.

Greg.... Fascinating work going on here, and I shall keep dipping into your build to see the work in progress. Although I don't build 1:12 scale, I am working in 1:24 scale, and although my builds tend to be Rolls-Royce motor cars I do like the Datson 240Z especially. When I was much younger and followed rally sport in the UK it was the Fords that held my interest, but at the same time the Datsun 240Z caught my interest too.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Simply stunning!

You also asked for critiques. If the 1:1 bell housing and transmission were unpainted aluminum castings, and yours are finished, then I would say they look too shiny. Aluminum castings are dull (flat) silver.   I quick coat of flat clear should take care of that.

• 1 month later...

Looks super, Greg.  I'm eventually going to build my big scale ZG as an N.American car (LHD, stock front bumper/h-lites, etc.)  I've had the kit for over thrirty five years, anticipating.  I'm going to paint it 907 green, like my '70 Z, which I restored for my book HOW TO RESTORE YOUR DATSUN Z-CAR, originally done in the late '80s, now coming out in a revised edtion (which it needed!), later sold back to Nissan.  I need some 8-spoke alloy rims, and maybe wider tires, if you have any good leads?

My friend Steve P. has a 432 project in the oven (long process, as he is building another '70 to replace the restomod L-28 5-speed one burned in the Camp Fire in Paradise/Magalia CA last month) and he has some exotic bits, like a direct port FI setup.. Luckily, his resto shop isn't located there, only his 'best of show' 240Z that was crisped!  He has a Tamaiya 1.16 kit, and would prob be interested in buying a copy of your 432 engine, if for sale!  Pls let me know!  I'm 73 years old, and trying to finish up my collection of very old kits -- most early '60s -- before arthritis and peripheral neuropathy stop my ability to do small work!

Luckily, I finished my '71 restomod Z two years ago.

Wick Humble

Edited by W Humble
additional info

• 2 months later...