Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kookies Tee in a plastic kit ?

Ross Myers ( no relation) the recent purchaser of the fabled Norm Grabowski "Kookie's T from the TV show 77 Sunset Strip is shipping it off to Roy Brizio's Street Rods for a complete rebuild to it's former Iconic glory. Upon completion it will make a trip to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 2019. This all from Joey Ukrop's "Evolution Of The Kookie Kar" in the recent Rodder's Journal.

Now I'm wondering which model company would take this on as a new kit? The car will be completely dismantled at the Brizio shop so measurements and pictures would be easy to get.:D

Danbury Mint had a diecast 1/25th scale but get your check book out if you can find one now.

6d1e7d6ed04e208ee36d77b8e4dc0855.jpg

Kookies-Car.jpg

dm1572_3.jpg

bucket.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

I think the "Kookie " T would be a big hit with we Seniors out there ! One of the things I do is catch 77 Sunset strip on ME TV each week day morning . I have to sort clothes , make coffee and breakfast for my youngins cause they have an Hour ride to school . So Model companies , put me in fer one , PLEASE!!!

Yup...as per Casey's two reference posts, it would be an easy kitbash to do a credible Kookie-Kar using the original Tweedy Pie or Tweedy Pie 2 as a jumping off point, and easily-sourced components to make up the difference.

Image result for Roth's Tweedy Pie   image.jpeg.428b826c327ae27a83697322c7543420.jpeg

The old Revell parts-pack Caddy engine comes to mind, and the valve covers on the Orange Crate are about right (though the O-Ccrate is an Olds, they ought to fit pretty OK). Similar pickup beds abound too.

It's just not that tough.

Of course, on the other hand, it wouldn't be cripplingly difficult to modify one of the Tweedy-Pie tools (cut NEW steel using a lot of old data) either.

The Kookie T is based on a Model A frame, and the pickup bed is from a Model A, so if you don't mind some slicing and dicing to get everything to sit right.  Revell's "Rat Rod"  '29 pickup looks like it would get you most of the way there for the chassis, even to the wheels and tires.  Combined with the Tweedy pie as mentioned, or even AMT's '25 T, and a Parts Pack Cadillac engine, you could get pretty close.

If say, Revell wanted to cut a set of moulds for a Grabowski T kit, I'd be all for that too.  Even if you don't care about the show, or the history of the car, it would still offer lots of kitbashing potential.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

14 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

The first Hot Rod T Bucket? Did Tommy Ivo's Buick powered T arrive about the same time as Gabowski's T...or did it show up later? 

Ivo built his nailhead-powered car based on measurements he made off of Grabowski's car.

The Isky T, the most famous one anyway, though much earlier, lacked the now-iconic "T-bucket" proportions.  image.jpeg.3ba8d0a7dad64d65893758e1731dac61.jpeg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have been gathering the parts to build it. Starting off with the Monogram T Street Rod w/Trailer for body that will need some modification to look like the shortened touring body.. The bed is a model A bed , the Revell parts pack Caddy engine will be used. I still need to find the right frame that will need to be modified also. I have the Big & Little Skinnies Wide Whitewalls with Steel wheels and Baby Moon hubcaps from R&M. The exhaust pipes may be a challenge. I will have to do some tube bending.

I also will be building two versions of Tweedy Pie. The original Bob Johnston version with the flathead and a later Roth version.

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

"or the history of the car" ? this IS the first iconic Hot Rod Tee Bucket.

Fad Ts had their moment in the sun long ago, just like other automotive fads which have come and gone, and despite a few hold outs, didn't stand the test of time.

boowiydu6gsoipj1fwoz.jpg

fads-of-the-50s.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-SFEMoChaydomIBwgTfH

Fantasty+Van+Art+01.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfMTUk5J-VGOTeJ1kFJrG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQevy86Pq0hu10K52QC0cS

extreme-dimensions-chevy-camaro-1998-200

18 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I have been gathering the parts to build it. Starting off with the Monogram T Street Rod w/Trailer for body that will need some modification to look like the shortened touring body.. The bed is a model A bed , the Revell parts pack Caddy engine will be used. I still need to find the right frame that will need to be modified also. I have the Big & Little Skinnies Wide Whitewalls with Steel wheels and Baby Moon hubcaps from R&M. The exhaust pipes may be a challenge. I will have to do some tube bending.

I also will be building two versions of Tweedy Pie. The original Bob Johnston version with the flathead and a later Roth version.

IIRC, around 1966 or 67 Don Emmons did an article in Model Car Science on how to build a "Kooky T" from the Monogram Little T kit. He wasn't going for a strict replica of the Kooky/Grabowski car, but a build that was obviously inspired by it. 

The proportions are pretty far off too. Wheelbase is way too long and the body and frame aren't raked enough, wrong pickup bed set too low, headlights are in front of the grille shell...  nice model, but nowhere close to being a replica.   To be fair, we can't see what's written on the card - it might just say "inspired by" rather than "replica of".

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ivo built his nailhead-powered car based on measurements he made off of Grabowski's car.

The Isky T, the most famous one anyway, though much earlier, lacked the now-iconic "T-bucket" proportions.  image.jpeg.3ba8d0a7dad64d65893758e1731dac61.jpeg

LOL....I knew it would be only a matter of time before you rang in with precise info....Thanks Bill!

7 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

The proportions are pretty far off too. Wheelbase is way too long and the body and frame aren't raked enough, wrong pickup bed set too low, headlights are in front of the grille shell...  nice model, but nowhere close to being a replica.   To be fair, we can't see what's written on the card - it might just say "inspired by" rather than "replica of".

You may be right about it being "Inspired By". Norm did lengthen the frame in front of the cowl 5 inches. It's original name was "The Lightning Bug"

21 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

And Iskenderian wasn't even close to being the first person to hot rod a Model T.

Granted many a nameless wrench turner pulled off the feat first...but are we talking iconic here? Ideal proportions, wheelbase, etc

Edited by styromaniac