Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just got this last night

Hello everyone hope all are well. Just picked this up at Hobby Lobby last night. Plans are to paint the cab white and the fenders and the frame blue. My son picked out the blue. It’s Testors DeJa Blue One Coat lacquer. The only drawback is the tires/wheels will most likely replace them.

1C515FED-C2AC-4FF5-BD91-15669681D671.jpeg

BDD4FDDF-A5F7-4795-9694-A3CF39E84A3A.jpeg

8 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Hello everyone hope all are well. Just picked this up at Hobby Lobby last night. Plans are to paint the cab white and the fenders and the frame blue. My son picked out the blue. It’s Testors DeJa Blue One Coat lacquer. The only drawback is the tires/wheels will most likely replace them.

1C515FED-C2AC-4FF5-BD91-15669681D671.jpeg

BDD4FDDF-A5F7-4795-9694-A3CF39E84A3A.jpeg

Yes I agree that is a new box graphic I believe. This is gonna be a fun kit to build. I have ordered the Moebius wheel and tire set. Thinking white cab and hood, blue frame and fenders. Maybe a stripe set from Model Truckin'. Just need to score a front visor and I'm good.

Edited by JerseeJerry55
Proofread challenged

My son is working on that same truck.  He painted the fenders Star Spangled  Blue and the rest of the cab/hood silver and used the kit decals.  He complained about the tires pulling away from the rims so I used some superglue along the rim and tires look much better.

I've still got the sister to this snapper on my bench (the KW W900 aero) in progress.

I did the same thing with the wheels/tires -- although fitting the Moebius wheels to it was a bit of a project by itself.  I ended up boring out the wheels on my drill press so that I could fit a piece of brass tubing in them as a sleeve that goes over the kit axles.

There might have been a simpler way, but that's what I did.

So, does that "one coat lacquer" imply that you don't use a primer under it ?   I've never tried that paint before.

Thanks for the replies. This one I got is interesting in the following:

Heritage Series new to this kit.

The wheels/tires seem to fit much better. The rubber compound seems firmer. But I’ll see how I like the Moebius set.

i be done both with the lacquer as far as no primer or primer. One coat without primer is okay. I like to use primer for handling imperfections.

Edited by JerseeJerry55

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 9:32 PM, Dave Van said:

I like those kits!!! I did the K-Wop a few years ago......nice kit that builds well. I have the Peterbilt to build too.....I'll watch yours...

Box stock with Tamiya paints

2vMwcvHCxJcANd.jpg

Looks really nice Dave. I got the paint on the cab and hood over the weekend.

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

If you're not using the tires pm me, I need another set.

You will find that kit is great to build, just paint the tips of those mounting tabs on the frame same as the body color and the battery boxes tabs hit them with some chrome, and it will take care of that to

Only thing I dislike is they never made a mold for a visit since the cab looks NAKED without it (Could make an AMT visor fit with a bit of sanding on the cab and visor itself?)

Edited by bandit1

1 hour ago, bandit1 said:

If you're not using the tires pm me, I need another set.

You will find that kit is great to build, just paint the tips of those mounting tabs on the frame same as the body color and the battery boxes tabs hit them with some chrome, and it will take care of that to

Only thing I dislike is they never made a mold for a visit since the cab looks NAKED without it (Could make an AMT visor fit with a bit of sanding on the cab and visor itself?)

If I don't use them I will let you know. Got the Moebius set but have to check the fit etc.

Here are some pictures of the modification I did to fit the Moebius wheels to these "snapper" kits.

I basically drilled out the wheel on my drill press and then inserted a piece of brass tubing as a "sleeve" that fits nicely over the kit axle.  I'm sure there must be an easier way, but this is what I worked out.

moebius_4_rotated.jpg

moebius_1.jpg

moebius_2_rotated.jpg

moebius_3_rotated.jpg

On 10/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Here are some pictures of the modification I did to fit the Moebius wheels to these "snapper" kits.

I basically drilled out the wheel on my drill press and then inserted a piece of brass tubing as a "sleeve" that fits nicely over the kit axle.  I'm sure there must be an easier way, but this is what I worked out.

moebius_4_rotated.jpg

moebius_1.jpg

moebius_2_rotated.jpg

moebius_3_rotated.jpg

Thanks for sharing that looks like a great idea. May try it.

That can be a fun kit to build. And it can be made to look really good. Just by filling in the snap tab holes, Like on the battery boxes etc. I cover mine with thin plastic in a diamond plate pattern.

Jerry that Blue looks really good !

Be Well

Gator

14 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

That can be a fun kit to build. And it can be made to look really good. Just by filling in the snap tab holes, Like on the battery boxes etc. I cover mine with thin plastic in a diamond plate pattern.

Jerry that Blue looks really good !

Be Well

Gator

Gator thanks.

Good morning all hope everyone is well. More work done over the weekend on the 359. I'm about 80-85% done. Tonight I will work on the final decals on her and then over the balance of the week the final touches such as stacks, bumper, the remaining lights, air horns, mirrors, grab handles, and anything I may not have mentioned.

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I like the color! Looks like a hard working fleet truck.

Thanks Brian. here are more update pics. 90% completed. Just need to finish the final detailing, some more decals, mirrors, marker lights, air horns, grab handles, and she's completed. Thinking the Revell W900 Aerodyne "Snap" kit next OR maybe another Peterbilt 359 "Snapper". Although I still have some AMT iron in the works, Pete 352, KW K123, White Freightliner SD, Diamond Reo 116, and a White Western Star all in various stages of buils. Winter projects I suppose.

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

Final decals done. The license plates just need to go on so I'm at a loss where the rear plate(s) will go, or if I have to use a rear plate. Nonetheless pretty happy with the result thus far. All that remains is mirrors, cab lights, air horns, turn signals, and the backup lights. Note the front visor is just laid on the top of the cab. Not painted yet. I'm thinking either blue, or silver.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

On 11/6/2018 at 8:51 AM, JerseeJerry55 said:

Those actually are the kit supplies wheels and tires. Surprisingly much better than the ones on my Revell 359 I built 2 years ago seen below.

image.thumb.jpg.40487264a93aca9a0aa04d6ebf053a6b.jpg

Pretty nice tire and wheels! Thanks for letting me know