Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Photobucket dead or under maintenance?

Looks like it's been down for about 12 hours. Low-res photos still show on search engines though.

Server is offline, could have crashed with no warning. Stuff happens.

Always best not to panic. If they're not back up in a day or three, be concerned.

I've stopped loading any new images to PB since the debacle, but all the old images have been accessible for the same $3 monthly fee I've been paying from the get-go.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I didn't think anybody even messed with PhotoBucket any more. After the problems they have exhibited in the past I'd find it more than just a little difficult to trust them enough to do business with. How many times do you let a rabid dog bite you?

43 minutes ago, smhardesty said:

I didn't think anybody even messed with PhotoBucket any more. After the problems they have exhibited in the past I'd find it more than just a little difficult to trust them enough to do business with. How many times do you let a rabid dog bite you?

I was a paying user from the beginning, being of the opinion that anything you get for nothing is usually worth what you pay for it.

I've never had the S L O W uploads all the free users complained about, because I used AdBlock...which wasn't unethical because I PAID for the Pbucket service.

I also NEVER lost access to my photos when all the deadbeats got the extortion note and 3rd-party hosting was shut down for FREE accounts.

I just kept on paying my little $3/per month, and everything worked pretty much as always until yesterday.

EDIT: Another site shows the problem started about 21:30 yesterday. No emails going in to or coming out either.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

14 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I was a paying user from the beginning, being of the opinion that anything you get for nothing is usually worth what you pay for it.

I've never had the S L O W uploads all the free users complained about, because I used AdBlock...which wasn't unethical because I PAID for the Pbucket service.

I also NEVER lost access to my photos when all the deadbeats got the extortion note and 3rd-party hosting was shut down for FREE accounts.

I just kept on paying my little $3/per month, and everything worked pretty much as always until yesterday.

EDIT: Another site shows the problem started about 21:30 yesterday. No emails going in to or coming out either.

Same here, so either they crashed, or they are doing a huge upgrade or they croaked. How's that for a diagnosis?

A couple of the sites I frequent with political and philosophical commentary have been hit with denial-of-service attacks in about the same timeframe that P-bucket went down. It's not inconceivable that some disgruntled tool decided to play nanny-nanny-boo-boo against P-bucket too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

40 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I just noticed that though the links are working here, they're broken on the "other" board.

I just noticed my avatar is missing on another board, which means PB is down. It was fine all day. 

19 minutes ago, Deuces said:

I have way over 14,000 pictures down loaded on my cellphone..... ???

Mine are all on my computer. The ones I share in the forums are on Photobucket as well. Iam thinking of switching if this keeps up. Fokti or Flickr ?

17 minutes ago, landman said:

Mine are all on my computer. The ones I share in the forums are on Photobucket as well. Iam thinking of switching if this keeps up. Fokti or Flickr ?

The original images are all on my own drives as well.

The problem I'd face by changing photo-hosting services is the inordinate amount of time it would take to go into every post and change all the links for all the photos I have all over the web.

I won't do it. If Pbucket goes entirely down, I guess the world will just have to do without the hundreds of illustrated threads and articles I've created over the years.

I really don't care one way or the other at this point. It was fun while it lasted.  

I've had a lifetime's bellyfull of compensating for the incompetence of others. I'm done. :mellow:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy