Model Cars Magazine Forum

251 mph street legal (real)Camaro

NYLIBUD

On 2019-05-17 at 8:07 PM, drummerdad said:

I know this is old, sorry. The Drag week rules state it must be legal, licensed and insured in the state where the owner is from or where the car is registered. It doesnt have to be legal in every state. Its just like if I drive to Virginia, I dont have to pass the smog tests, as long as my car is legal and licensed in my state, which is Tennessee. There are exceptions, of course, but some states are more lenient, and some are not. There are also standard DOT rules that every state must comply with.

As for the lights, it has to be legal for the year it is registered for, in this case either a 68 (it is modeled after a 68 Camaro) or a kit car. The red lights are rings around the actual headlight, usually called "Halos". New cars such as the Hellcat come with these "halos" already as daytime running lights, but in a different color. They probably double as blinkers also. And they can be color changing, so the red is just for the photoshoot. Im sure he knows he cant run red lights on the street.

I recently got to go to attend 2 days of the dragweek. It was crazy. If you havent seen these cars in person, go and see them. They are capable of running 6s at over 200 mph, and they do drive them almost 200+ miles a day between races, in the rain and park them wherever they want. They are street legal, and dependable, and are required to run a very specific and punishing route between races. You wouldnt want to drive them daily, of course, and they arent legal everywhere. But they are amazing feats of engineering. 

Personally I dont like the Camaro as much as the yellow 57. I prefer steel "door" cars. The promods are ridiculous. 

I agree that it looks better then a pro mod but it’s still too yellow. There isn’t much steel left on that 57. the only original parts are the roof and the cowl. it has reproduction quarter panels and it is closer to a pro mod then a original 1957 Chevy because it has a custom tube chassis and a 540 cube inch engine with massive  twin 88 mm turbos

Edited by drag racer 15
Typo

On 5/22/2019 at 11:10 PM, drag racer 15 said:

I agree that it looks better then a pro mod but it’s still too yellow. There isn’t much steel left on that 57. the only original parts are the roof and the cowl. it has reproduction quarter panels and it is closer to a pro mod then a original 1957 Chevy because it has a custom tube chassis and a 540 cube inch engine with massive  twin 98 mm turbos

Im with you on that. Personally I liked the evil twins. He took reproduction sheetmetal to build this car. But at least he didnt cut up an original 57 to do it. The cars are still very impressive when you see them on the street, pulling a trailer in 90+ degree weather for 200+ miles through traffic. Im waiting on the 5 second pass Lutz promised a while back. If I had the money, I would do it. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, But Tom Bailey just went 5.998 at 250 yesterday at drag week. The worlds quickest and fastest pass for a street legal car, and the world first 5 second pass. It was on the last day, after driving almost 1000 miles throughout the week, even in the rain. Steve Morris, who built the engine, was his co-driver and said they change tires, switch over the fuel system, turn the boost up and run it.  Crazy fast. 

I knew that car lookers familiar. 

A vid of him and one of our local engine builders, Andy Jensen. 

Andy did my block and balancing on my old street and strip car. But my car was nothing even close to these monsters. Mine was 5 seconds slower...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=46qd7uR5fhk

Edited by Brutalform

On 10/6/2018 at 9:15 AM, mvadrag said:

Lutz had a '57 Chevy that was street legal (actually 2) called the Evil Twin.  He used it to win Drag Week 2014.  Probably easier to build this as a model, due to the stock body.  Need to create the tube chassis and turbo'd big block.

Image result for lutz evil twin

Wasn’t there a model kit of a red 57 car? Maybe Ron Christian from back quite a few years ago? If so that would be a good foundation for a build. 

The guy who won drag week this year, runs a Camaro very similar to the one in the OP. He ran a 5.99 with it on the last day, which is a Drag Week record. I was at Atco on Wednesday and he ran a 6.18. It was impressive, even if you don't like the car.