Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Cannonball run ideas

Tim H

Sorry but life got away from me this year. Work has been nuts. I have barely gotten to the bench at all this year. anyway in my limited down time at work I have been thinking of next years cannonball theme.

My thoughts where maybe out there but seems like a fun one. How about one that combines Death Race with Mad Max Fury road. Anything goes. The name of the game is to be first from sea to shining sea. by any means possible. OH, by the way it is after global devastation. Once the flag has dropped it is every team for themselves. Rocket launchers, machine guns, oil slick, land mine laying Etc greatly encouraged. 

Back to reality, This is my ideas on a fun 2019 cannonball run. What is yours.

Tim

My main idea in one word is "SLEEPER" meaning it looks unsuspecting (stock, minor exterior upgrades, junkers only???) but can complete the "race" in record time!
Key factors here would include a quality engine, transmission, drive-train and safety.
Something that at least looks roadworthy is a plus so it doesn't catch the eye of every law enforcement officer you pass along the way. LOL 

I'll probably think of other ideas too.

2 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

I'm trying to remember if this has been done, but how about a period Cannonball where the kits can only be from the 70s period that the original race was run? Maybe even have the mods to the vehicles be period as well?

that was sort of last years,...a Nod to Brock Yates ...somehow related to the era,...sorta..

I like the wagon/ute/van concept

On 10/6/2018 at 10:26 PM, LouO said:

My main idea in one word is "SLEEPER" meaning it looks unsuspecting (stock, minor exterior upgrades, junkers only???) but can complete the "race" in record time!
Key factors here would include a quality engine, transmission, drive-train and safety.
Something that at least looks roadworthy is a plus so it doesn't catch the eye of every law enforcement officer you pass along the way. LOL 

I'll probably think of other ideas too.

That was actually the theme a few years back already. In fact, I believe it was the only one I finished a build for!

Just going through the list from 2012 to now, the themes were as follows:

2012: year 1962

2013: unlimited

2014: 1979 or older, but with modern parts optional

2015: sleeperball

2016: aussieball

2017: unlimited

2018: inline engines

My idea would be sort of an update of the 2014 CBP, but have it be 1989 or older and with period correct modifications (some more modern mods could be considered "experimental" though). My thinking is the 1980s is where auto manufacturers started getting back into the horsepower game with better technology, and it would be interesting to see how people would configure their cars of that time period.

Ahhh...forgot the sleeper was done (must be my age catching up w/ me). I'm liking the idea of vans, utes, p/u's, wagons etc...too.
Another idea I thought of was "Destination Hollywood" meaning all vehicles must have appeared in a TV show or movie ? Just throwing it out there...

My thought, and we've been batting it around in the main build thread, is sort of taking a break from the Cannonball and making next years run, the Peking to Paris Rally. The P2P is the toughest endurance race on the planet. 33 days of travel and time trials. Like a lot of historic rally races, only vintage cars are allowed. The cars are subject to certain build rules but as you can see from the bottom link, they are far from stock. I think it would be an excellent change of pace and an opportunity to build a truly historic race car.

Image result for peking to paris amp

http://www.endurorally.com/pages/the-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge-2016

http://peking2paris2013.com/car/

Having said that - on our theme poll for this year, it was a tight race between Inliners and Vans.

If the group chooses to run another Cannonball and forgo my "brilliant" idea :D, I really think the group that really wanted vans, should have their day.

Edited by Jantrix

I like the P2P idea, there are lots of possibilities for neat old cars to build. Maybe we could make a faux class for more modern cars with similar rules to the existing classes because something like a WRX would be perfect for this race. Even with the pre 1976 rules I can think of several builds, Lancia Stratos, Renault Alpine, a Baja Beetle just to name a few.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, Tim H said:

Rob, I actually like your P2P idea. Would be a challenging build. Especially going with the original rules.

Tim

On 10/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, Fat Brian said:

I like the P2P idea, there are lots of possibilities for neat old cars to build. Maybe we could make a faux class for more modern cars with similar rules to the existing classes because something like a WRX would be perfect for this race. Even with the pre 1976 rules I can think of several builds, Lancia Stratos, Renault Alpine, a Baja Beetle just to name a few.

Ditto. Vans don't really do it for me, it'd have to include utes, etc. For me anyway.

After some serious thought on the issue, I've made an executive decision on next years run. Come mid November we'll be choosing between two themes.

Vans - vans and panel trucks only, no sedan deliveries or wagons.

Peking to Paris racers. Using the rules from the actual race.

Sorry if this disappoints anyone.

Edited by Jantrix

On 10/16/2018 at 9:02 AM, Jantrix said:

After some serious thought on the issue, I've made an executive decision on next years run. Come mid November we'll be choosing between two themes.

Vans - vans and panel trucks only, no sedan deliveries or wagons.

Peking to Paris racers. Using the rules from the actual race.

Sorry if this disappoints anyone.

I respect the decision and I'll more than likely be gearing up for the build with a van that was a favorite of mine from a popular TV show... a hint but no spoilers... My idea for a Theme is Real Restorations... Here latley the club I'm in have been tossing the idea around about doing a challange that relates to the restoration/recreation of a build-up/glue bomb... Think about it like as in real life you take an existing car and prep it for a race... rebuild the engine, paint and body work, and any upgrades that it  may need to compete. I think it would be fun to see the entry before during and race day ready... "Rescue a build-up Cannonball" Just an Idea for future Run ideas...

On 10/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, Pete J. said:

I'll cast my vote now for a P2P.  I've been looking for the model I want to build.  Only modest luck so far.  Most people want too much for it. 

:lol:

Rob, I really like this idea the more I research it.  For those who like vans, there is no rule against a van for the P2P.  Anything pre-76 seems to qualify.  I really gives a lot of people massive options.  Everything from horseless carriages on.  If you chose this, is there someone who could do P2P badge decals.  That would be a great unifying touch. 

8 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Rob, I really like this idea the more I research it.  For those who like vans, there is no rule against a van for the P2P.  Anything pre-76 seems to qualify.  I really gives a lot of people massive options.  Everything from horseless carriages on.  If you chose this, is there someone who could do P2P badge decals.  That would be a great unifying touch. 

Actually it sounds like vans are not allowed, based on the first link Jantrix provided.

"The Classics Category does not allow trucks, pick-up trucks, ambulances, estate-cars, or what is generally regarded to be a commercial-vehicle, such as a van."

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

And remember everyone, there's nothing to say there can't be two both community builds. 

One will be the Cannonball, the other can run concurrently. 

Everyone is happy!

:)

Heck, I'll organize the van one.

I had considered this but I really didn't want to divide our builders. However, I have no issue with Dan running next years Cannonball if that's what the group decides.

10 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Think about it like as in real life you take an existing car and prep it for a race... rebuild the engine, paint and body work, and any upgrades that it  may need to compete. I think it would be fun to see the entry before during and race day ready... "Rescue a build-up Cannonball" Just an Idea for future Run ideas...

Interesting idea. It's never occured to me, as I don't really do a lot of glue bombs.

Edited by Jantrix

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

Actually it sounds like vans are not allowed, based on the first link Jantrix provided.

"The Classics Category does not allow trucks, pick-up trucks, ambulances, estate-cars, or what is generally regarded to be a commercial-vehicle, such as a van."

Correct sir. Sorry, no vans in the P2P. It looks like pick ups were allowed in 2013 as two of them ran, but none in 2016, so looks like there was a rule change. I will have the 2019 rules soon.

9 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Pete, you read my mind concerning the badges. I can make decals although quality sometimes varies. Printing on a piece of high quality photo paper might be a better idea. We'll discuss this more as we start the CBP.

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I had considered this but I really didn't want to divide our builders. However, I have no issue with Dan running next years Cannonball if that's what the group decides.

No, no no!! The Cannonball build is your baby!

What I mean is that if everyone wants to do the P2P for Cannonball, then that's cool.

I would create a second non-Cannonball community build. 

:)

Gotcha.

It's been brought up by other builders that the P2P should be a separate CBP as the race and the rally are two very different events. So I wasn't going to call next years run the Cannonball, but rather something like the Model Car Peking to Paris Rally, brought to you by the Cannonball Run Builders Association. 

The Cannonball may be my baby, but it has been run by other builders four times? over the last 11 years. Due to lifes challenges I've not always been able to keep up with it, so others have stepped up and helped out. If the group wants both Run and Rally, I'm open to alternatives.

Having said all that, I'll still be doing the poll in November to decide P2P or Vans.