Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Cannonball run ideas

Tim H

I've entered three vans in previous Cannonballs.

Nissan Sunny Vanette with a mid mounted Skyline engine.  Scratchbuilt chassis and suspension.
36084652025_2c7d5aaa2a_z.jpg2010-11-11 at 16-29-50 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
36084652575_e5531c68e2_z.jpg2010-11-11 at 16-12-55 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

'77 SWB Chevy Van with Blown BBC.  '69 'vette suspension at both ends & four 44gal drums of fuel in the back.
35275905683_51d668f577_z.jpgCannonball Van 003 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
35244047144_b128d6ba64_z.jpgCannonball Van 009 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

'60 Chevy Panel Delivery with Pontiac 421.  Kitbashed from an AMT '60 Custom Fleetside.
35915508742_c767d37e9b_z.jpgDSC01648 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I figure the last one would be eligible under the 2019 rules as it is a panel van built up from a pickup rather than a panelled in station wagon.

2 hours ago, zenrat said:

I've entered three vans in previous Cannonballs.

'60 Chevy Panel Delivery with Pontiac 421.  Kitbashed from an AMT '60 Custom Fleetside.
I figure the last one would be eligible under the 2019 rules as it is a panel van built up from a pickup rather than a panelled in station wagon.

Correct sir! The '60 is a panel truck which is legal for next year.

Also worth noting is that Fred has WON the Cannonball three times. Two of the wins with both the Nissan and the panel truck. The third was a trick little beast based on the Fireball 500 show car. 

Imagination, plus clean building and paint work, and excellent photography is the formula to winning this CBP. 

On 29/10/2018 at 12:41 PM, Pete J. said:

I think the other challenge in this is going to be in the section 9 rules.  Seatbelts, roll bars, tow ropes, two spare tires, spare parts, tent, sleeping bags for all crew and plastic sheeting or drip trays.  Getting all this stuff in a model is going to challenge most of the modelers.  There is plenty of this stuff in armor scale, but precious little in 1:24 scale.  it is going to be fun seeing how non-military builders learn how to do this.  I am included in that group, so it is going to be fun. 

If yousearc haround places like Shapeways, you'll be surprised at how much 1/24 or 1/25 accessories you'll find!

Well I'm in. I am going to use the AMT Chevy Rescue Van as a start to my build. I bought it as soon as I found out what we are doing, now my problem is, I really want to get started on it. However, other than steeling the tires for another build(P2P) it is still untouched in the box.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll definitely be in this.  Not sure what with though.

I have in my stash one of these...

MPC%201-7822%20Dodgevan.JPG

...and one of these...

9841d2b49d75ddf112d5f1cc7877c162.jpg

Both are long wheelbase bodies but for The Run my preference would be short wheelbase.  For a SWB Chevy van the Revell kit is an option (and its a better kit than the AMT) if I can find one down here.  For a SWB Dodge van however I am not aware of a 1/25 kit.  Cutting down the MPC kit is an option but the one I have is my last one and as with the Revell Chevy they are not easy to find.

Another option is the Lindberg A100 with either a scratchbuilt van body of the Flintstone resin one.  I've long wanted to build an A100 van as there was one featured regularly in the only on-screen Batman which counts.

I'm off to Evil-Bay to see what I can find...

18 hours ago, alexis said:

I have a question. I have Both the Tom Daniels Vandal, and the older version of the AMT Deora with the Vanlike topper. Which would be legal for this build?

Interesting idea and I'm glad it's come up now. 

What differentiates a van from another vehicle is the cab and cargo area are the same space. And the body is one piece. 

The Deora .............. hmm. Since the Deora was based upon a '65 A100 pick-up, I'd say it's legal. As long as there is no visible seam between cab and topper, and the cab and cargo area is merged inside.

The Vandal. Same thing. Merge the drivers space to the cargo space. 

Edited by Jantrix

16 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

I am more than excited for this years "vannonball" as it will be my first community build ever. Already have the ideas rolling in my head and the stash is being raided as we speak.

Just be sure not to start until the official start date, I've made that mistake before.

4 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Just be sure not to start until the official start date, I've made that mistake before.

I am suffering the same problem. I have all these ideas, I am collecting and ordering parts, but the kit and all parts ordered are still sitting in the box un touched. And its killing me. However I am enjoying the planning.

19 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

I am suffering the same problem. I have all these ideas, I am collecting and ordering parts, but the kit and all parts ordered are still sitting in the box un touched. And its killing me. However I am enjoying the planning.

Me too, I've got the kit picked out and the motor on the way and I'm dying to start.

7 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Oh yeah! Haven’t started yet, don’t want to ruin the spirit of the build. Just wanted to make sure I actually had a van in the stash. I do not. So I won’t be purchasing one until the start date. More than excited. Waiting is the hardest part. 

2 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Oh yeah! Haven’t started yet, don’t want to ruin the spirit of the build. Just wanted to make sure I actually had a van in the stash. I do not. So I won’t be purchasing one until the start date. More than excited. Waiting is the hardest part. 

You can go ahead and buy it and start test fitting any other parts you might want to use, you just can't start putting parts together yet.

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I'm glad folks are happy with the theme. I'm still absolutely clueless as to what I'll build. I do have a van kit, so that's not the issue, but the idea is what's lacking.

For me this is easy, I have had a dream van (1:1) rolling around in my head for years. Now I am going to be able to build it in scale and have it on my shelf. I was going to build it no matter what, this just gave me a reason.

4 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I'm glad folks are happy with the theme. I'm still absolutely clueless as to what I'll build. I do have a van kit, so that's not the issue, but the idea is what's lacking.

If I joined both, I'd be looking at these. I assume they are both within the regs.

IMG_8226.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, da_ashman said:

I like the idea of last years runner up to the inline theme, Vans, but id want to extend that to Utes, pickups, trucks, wagons, shooting brakes etc.

Theyve done the sleeper theme before with some awesome outcomes

would the Revell Thames panel truck get into this mix, too?

1 hour ago, tom q vaxy said:

would the Revell Thames panel truck get into this mix, too?

Very often kit manufacturers mis-label cars. For instance, this is NOT a van. As for the Thames, I don't know if it's a panel truck or sedan delivery. I'm not gonna research every questionable kit. I'm gonna leave it to YOU to prove that it is in fact truck based and not sedan based. Do the research , come up with some facts, and tell us whether it's allowed or not.

Image result for testors model car kit van

37 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Very often kit manufacturers mis-label cars. For instance, this is NOT a van. As for the Thames, I don't know if it's a panel truck or sedan delivery. I'm not gonna research every questionable kit. I'm gonna leave it to YOU to prove that it is in fact truck based and not sedan based. Do the research , come up with some facts, and tell us whether it's allowed or not.

Image result for testors model car kit van

I think it's probably too advanced for me anyway.

Just a question regarding the Van theme. I've read through & not 100% sure, so figured i would ask.

Would a people mover (without the seats) like the Toyota Previa/estima comply? Its not listed as a van, but is built on the same chassis for a hiace which is a van.

There are alot of these imported into New Zealand for use as campers etc, the rental places usually remove the interior & get them reclassed as vans/travelers.

Image result for previa toyota

Also, sub question, what about Japanese Kei vans? Like the Honda S-Max, classed as a compact MPV (but if I remove the interior...?)

Image result for honda s max

Last one, what about this badboy? Jimmy Flintstones Ford Mustang Panel van. obviously a sports car base. (a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH kids kit to start with) maybe with a big v8 in the back...

Image result for jimmy flintstone mustang

If no to all of the above, I'll keep looking. Might have to ask more questions though, vans aren't really my thing.