Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Cannonball run ideas

Tim H

12 hours ago, da_ashman said:

Just a question regarding the Van theme. I've read through & not 100% sure, so figured i would ask.

Would a people mover (without the seats) like the Toyota Previa/estima comply? Its not listed as a van, but is built on the same chassis for a hiace which is a van.

There are alot of these imported into New Zealand for use as campers etc, the rental places usually remove the interior & get them reclassed as vans/travelers.

Image result for previa toyota

Also, sub question, what about Japanese Kei vans? Like the Honda S-Max, classed as a compact MPV (but if I remove the interior...?)

Image result for honda s max

Last one, what about this badboy? Jimmy Flintstones Ford Mustang Panel van. obviously a sports car base. (a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH kids kit to start with) maybe with a big v8 in the back...

Image result for jimmy flintstone mustang

If no to all of the above, I'll keep looking. Might have to ask more questions though, vans aren't really my thing.

Interesting options/questions. The Previa is technically a minivan, so I don' t see why not. Ditto the Kei van. As for the 'Stang van I don't think so. Vans based on cars was already ruled out.

12 hours ago, tom q vaxy said:

i'm thinking this. Mr Phelps & the Team already proved everything

Great choice Tom.

20 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

Interesting options/questions. The Previa is technically a minivan, so I don' t see why not. Ditto the Kei van. As for the 'Stang van I don't think so. Vans based on cars was already ruled out.

All of the above is correct. Most any production minivan, with seats or without, would be legal. The Stang-Van, Vette-Van, Pinto-Van, Vega-Van and any other car based phantoms are right out.

Folks there really are a lot of options. You just gotta look for them. Lots of resin. Jimmy Flintstone offers a panel truck body for the recent '66 Suburban. Just Google resin delivery van. Lots of ideas there.

I will be doing a panel truck myself. Not really a van guy per se, and I was leaning towards sitting out this next CBR, but my wife came up with a very cool idea and I'm gonna run with it.

4 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Great choice Tom.

All of the above is correct. Most any production minivan, with seats or without, would be legal. The Stang-Van, Vette-Van, Pinto-Van, Vega-Van and any other car based phantoms are right out.

Folks there really are a lot of options. You just gotta look for them. Lots of resin. Jimmy Flintstone offers a panel truck body for the recent '66 Suburban. Just Google resin delivery van. Lots of ideas there.

I will be doing a panel truck myself. Not really a van guy per se, and I was leaning towards sitting out this next CBR, but my wife came up with a very cool idea and I'm gonna run with it.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!!! Now to get started on what I'll build, so many ideas, so many styles....

15 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I was leaning towards sitting out this next CBR

I'm glad you're not sittin out, I may never NOT participate ever agian, I had so much fun with the last one. (my first one too!) I have changed my mind alot on the one I'm gonna build Not sure yet what I'm doing... still thinking it over.

25 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

The chassis is interchangeable with the sedan and coupe. Sedan delivery not the same as a panel delivery. Same with, say, Revell '54 sedan delivery.

Thanks Mike, I thought that might be the case. 
Originally I was going to do the Ford Phantom Van, but I'm still on the hunt for something better; so the search continues...

Im not really a van guy but I found something that interested me. So if this would qualify I think I'd go this route. It wont be till a good way into the New Year for me to start on this cause I'd have to track down the items needed but If it's allowed I think I'll try to swing it after the start of February.

cc0e3aa2cf78c7a600d1c519fe5ab0-vi.jpg

Thoughts and approval welcome. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jhedir6 said:

Im not really a van guy but I found something that interested me. So if this would qualify I think I'd go this route. It wont be till a good way into the New Year for me to start on this cause I'd have to track down the items needed but If it's allowed I think I'll try to swing it after the start of February.

That is wicked!!

On 12/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, Jhedir6 said:

I think I stumbled upon this resin today from a store. Looks like a quality piece. You will do well!

4 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I've never entered a community build before, not have I built a van.  So, is this official - Vans / minivans are the them for the 2019 Cannonball Run?  

Sounds fun ..

Yes, Vans are the theme of the 2019 Cannonball group build. Rob will be posting the official start thread soon.