[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Tim H

2019 Cannonball run ideas

I've entered three vans in previous Cannonballs.

Nissan Sunny Vanette with a mid mounted Skyline engine.  Scratchbuilt chassis and suspension.
36084652025_2c7d5aaa2a_z.jpg2010-11-11 at 16-29-50 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
36084652575_e5531c68e2_z.jpg2010-11-11 at 16-12-55 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

'77 SWB Chevy Van with Blown BBC.  '69 'vette suspension at both ends & four 44gal drums of fuel in the back.
35275905683_51d668f577_z.jpgCannonball Van 003 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
35244047144_b128d6ba64_z.jpgCannonball Van 009 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

'60 Chevy Panel Delivery with Pontiac 421.  Kitbashed from an AMT '60 Custom Fleetside.
35915508742_c767d37e9b_z.jpgDSC01648 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I figure the last one would be eligible under the 2019 rules as it is a panel van built up from a pickup rather than a panelled in station wagon.

2 hours ago, zenrat said:

I've entered three vans in previous Cannonballs.

'60 Chevy Panel Delivery with Pontiac 421.  Kitbashed from an AMT '60 Custom Fleetside.
I figure the last one would be eligible under the 2019 rules as it is a panel van built up from a pickup rather than a panelled in station wagon.

Correct sir! The '60 is a panel truck which is legal for next year.

Also worth noting is that Fred has WON the Cannonball three times. Two of the wins with both the Nissan and the panel truck. The third was a trick little beast based on the Fireball 500 show car. 

Imagination, plus clean building and paint work, and excellent photography is the formula to winning this CBP. 

On 29/10/2018 at 12:41 PM, Pete J. said:

I think the other challenge in this is going to be in the section 9 rules.  Seatbelts, roll bars, tow ropes, two spare tires, spare parts, tent, sleeping bags for all crew and plastic sheeting or drip trays.  Getting all this stuff in a model is going to challenge most of the modelers.  There is plenty of this stuff in armor scale, but precious little in 1:24 scale.  it is going to be fun seeing how non-military builders learn how to do this.  I am included in that group, so it is going to be fun. 

If yousearc haround places like Shapeways, you'll be surprised at how much 1/24 or 1/25 accessories you'll find!

Well I'm in. I am going to use the AMT Chevy Rescue Van as a start to my build. I bought it as soon as I found out what we are doing, now my problem is, I really want to get started on it. However, other than steeling the tires for another build(P2P) it is still untouched in the box.