Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any up dates on the Moebius chevy II gasser ?

Mr mopar

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Dead. No more cars was the gist of what I heard about Pegasus' decision. All those mint AMT Craftsman kits are safe for another few years. :D

Wow. Seems like they were close to being ready to release. I wonder what this means to the future of the rest of the line?

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

Dead. No more cars was the gist of what I heard about Pegasus' decision. All those mint AMT Craftsman kits are safe for another few years. :D

I wouldn't go that far yet, for now it's on a back burner.  If Pegasus want's to keep it's single biggest distributor of Moebius kits happy it's going to have to do some more car kits eventually.  Now if that ends up being the Chevy II or something else will see.   

Steve 

Edited by SteveG

From what one of my fellow Canadians told me about his discussion at the Moebius booth at Motor City NNL was that, indeed, angry letters are what's needed. Apparently the new owners are not that interested in the automotive side and if we want to see the models released that had been shown before the sale, you have to let Pegasus know we really want them. It seems silly but it does explain the sound of crickets on news about Moebius releases. That said we have now seen the box art for the Ford truck and service bed so who knows about the rest.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Does “cars” in your statement include light trucks? 

The Model King ‘65 F100 w/ utility box will most likely see the light of day, but what about the Moebius ‘65 stepside and ‘66 that Steve G. has posted images of?

Edited by Matt T.

3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Will this really sucks ! so why did Pegasus buy Moebius for them this just does not sound right ?

There is a whole other side of Moebius that you might not be aware of- sci-fi models and I think that is what they were truly after. There are more models and apparently interest on that side of the of the business than there is the automotive side. Too soon to tell, but if it will take a letter writing campaign to get some results, we should all start today!

If this is really their plan, that's very unfortunate. I was on the Revell doom and gloom train, but was very pleasantly surprised to see their new lineup under the new owners. Hopefully it'll work out the same way for Moebius. The new tools of off color subjects like Hudsons and such were undeniably great contributions. 

Now, hopefully I can still get the replacement bodies the guy I talked to has been searching the warehouse for over a year to find lol. Those Melrose Missile and International Prostar kits weren't exactly cheap.

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Does “cars” in your statement include light trucks? 

The Model King ‘65 F100 w/ utility box will most likely see the light of day, but what about the Moebius ‘65 stepside and ‘66 that Steve G. has posted images of?

Anything that's been tooled up already we should probably see eventually. There's at least 5 variations of the 65-66 F100 do-able right now. The new beds also give at least 2 more versions of the 67-72 style trucks.  Don't forget the B/FX Comet and A/FX Plymouth that has yet to see the light of day.  IF my math is correct that's nine issues Pegasus can green light with out any significant investment.  

It all comes down to a new owner deciding on what to spend his money on.  If he's smart enough, he'll figure out that if want to keep Moebius alive for a long run he'll invest in the new tooling and licensing needed to bring out popular new subjects.  

-Steve

20 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Anything that's been tooled up already we should probably see eventually. There's at least 5 variations of the 65-66 F100 do-able right now. The new beds also give at least 2 more versions of the 67-72 style trucks.  Don't forget the B/FX Comet and A/FX Plymouth that has yet to see the light of day.  IF my math is correct that's nine issues Pegasus can green light with out any significant investment.  

It all comes down to a new owner deciding on what to spend his money on.  If he's smart enough, he'll figure out that if want to keep Moebius alive for a long run he'll invest in the new tooling and licensing needed to bring out popular new subjects.  

-Steve

That’s great news. Thanks Steve.

I’m really looking forward to the ‘65-‘66 pickups. 

51 minutes ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

are not the A/FX Plymouth molds all ready made ?

1 minute ago, Mr mopar said:

are not the A/FX Plymouth molds all ready made ?

They have been for some time.  There was a small punch list of stuff to finish for fitment, final details etc.  Don't know if that was ever done.  They also had to decide on which driver to use for the decals which might require some form of royalty payment.  I'm betting on the Golden Commandos version but hold me to it. 

I wouldn't abandon hope for future automotive subjects from Moebius. Pegasus Hobbies is pretty aware of the automotive side of the hobby to just abandon it. Even in their retail location they have the best stocked automotive hobby section I've ever seen. And they have produced their own line of wheel/tire sets and lowrider accessories for many years. While they may have pushed the "pause button" on introducing new auto subjects, I'm sure it's just a temporary pause.

5 minutes ago, Brett Barrow said:

Yeah, when you buy a company any licencing agreements have to be redone, they don't automatically transfer to the new ownership.   

They CAN transfer to new owners.  Depends on how they are written. I did NASCAR licensing for 10 years.....out of a 100 license deals there was 100 different contracts.....each with it's own rules. 

As I said in a previous post....things are in a flux right now. MOST of it not in public view. I do not know but HOPE it sorts out in a positive way that keeps automotive kits flowing. I helped out on a number of auto kits with the old Moebius.....I hope those still come about.