Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any up dates on the Moebius chevy II gasser ?

Mr mopar

Yes it's real! This is just the first test shot - not ready to go in a box yet! I don't have a release date yetr - I don't even have a date for the second test shot yet - there is no box art or decals yet either! If all goes well it should be available before the end of the year! OH. and, yes the race car chassis and interior fit in the Nova sport coupe body with minor modifications to the body

DSC09687.jpg.804c8167b8f5ae5ff9b203e314597503.jpgDSC09686.jpg.e0add3ea9898a8e633b1790ce8883cd3.jpgDSC09685.thumb.jpg.c853e27a836281219f7c47dc2d03c039.jpgDSC09684.jpg.ee27978a9392746266a051d6f3dedcfd.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Quarter windows might differ between '64 and '65, but I'd bet the change is confined to the rear glass.  

Looks like this kit's glass is sized to fit, not larger and fitted from inside like most old kits.  The rear glass from an AMT hardtop might be the base material for making the wider '64 piece.

Might be. All I know is the C-piller is definitely bigger/wider on the '65. I'll take some time and suss out where/how. 

1 hour ago, Dave Metzner said:

Yes it's real! This is just the first test shot - not ready to go in a box yet! I don't have a release date yetr - I don't even have a date for the second test shot yet - there is no box art or decals yet either! If all goes well it should be available before the end of the year! OH. and, yes the race car chassis and interior fit in the Nova sport coupe body with minor modifications to the body

DSC09684.jpg.ee27978a9392746266a051d6f3dedcfd.jpg

As Teri Hatcher might put it: "It's real! AND it's spectacular!"   (Let's see who gets that.) B):lol:

It has potential. There's some things I see that I don't like and other bits I do. It will be interesting to have it in hand. I'm sure many of us will look at it and backdate the more modern parts to things more 60ish.

12 hours ago, Nimby Pickles said:

These were in one of the glass cases at Pegasus Hobbies yesterday.  They seemed real!

Gasser Body.jpg

Gasser Chassis.jpg

Gasser Chrome.jpg

Gasser Clears and slicks.jpg

Gasser Hood.jpg

Gasser Interior 2.jpg

Gasser Interior.jpg

Gasser Parts 2.jpg

Gasser Parts 3.jpg

Gasser Parts.jpg

Man, THOSE are some nice looking parts. Hope this comes to fruition. If they give us more goodies, we will (or at least I will) give em some of my money...

46 minutes ago, mike 51 said:

for me,the 65 is the least attractive of the first series Chevy lls. the dual tailights and bulging headlights just look like the cheap updates GM threw on.  I'm assuming both cars are 65s?

I agree. 

On the test shot sprue pics, it looks like there's an alternate panel for the rear end with cutouts for the '62-'64 type taillights. So I'm assuming the HT will be another year. 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

I agree. 

On the test shot sprue pics, it looks like there's an alternate panel for the rear end with cutouts for the '62-'64 type taillights. So I'm assuming the HT will be another year. 

From their 3D prototype some years back, the tock HT was to be a 64 and the racing version a 65.  

24 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks good, and they'll be getting my money...

...but the top looks slightly chopped to me. Anybody else see it?

Didn't till you mentioned it. :unsure:

I just happened to have a minty AMT '62 HT body literally at arm's length, so I resized the profile pic above till I got the body length the same. The side window height on the kit comes up to the top edge of the drip rail on the pic, so the top might be chopped 1/2" if that. I think some of the chopped look comes from the '65 2DS roof shape, which we're not as used to seeing as either the hardtops or the '62-'64 2DS style. 

At any rate, I'm in for at least two of each. B)

On 4/26/2021 at 3:03 PM, Casey said:

Take a look at what has been or is soon to be released by Moebius, and you (should at least) quickly realize the Chevy II kits have little to no chance of ever seeing the light of day. It took almost a year for the flatbed trailer to reach the retail level and being announced, and the Chevy IIs never got past the one-off 3D printed stage, so I would place my bet on the folks from IN before those from CA if I wanted to see a first gen Chevy II in 1/25 scale.

Nay sayers, not more than a few weeks ago

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Immediately.  Online 1:1 sedan pics seemed to verify it, though it's mild like Snake sez and doesn't much diminish my enthusiasm for the kit.

I'm more in the habit of choosing what inevitably becomes a battle these days, so I wasn't going to say anything.  But now that the ice is broken...

51 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

...though it's mild like Snake sez and doesn't much diminish my enthusiasm for the kit.

I agree.

Early gasser rules allowed chopped tops anyway (though I don't know if it was still NHRA-legal in '65), so it's fine by me.

For that matter, I'm pretty certain this kit is supposed to represent a "nostalgia" gasser and not a historical period-correct class runner, so why not?  :D

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, I've seen it since the prototype, but didn't want to be "that guy". Looks to me like it's the same height as a hardtop.

Of course chopped tops were allowed in Gas class--remember Ohio George's '33 Willys and all the others? I just checked the '68 rulebook and chopping, channeling and sectioning were still allowed, up to a total of 4 inches. 

A '65 Nova gasser would have been a rare and odd bird in 1965. Very few brand new cars were made right into gassers (yes, there were a few exceptions). Would have been more plausible for 1968-69 or later. We all know that many '62-'65 Novas got the AWB treatment around 1965 to try to cash in on the lucrative match race circuit. 

1 minute ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Looks to me like it's the same height as a hardtop.

Should the sedan roof be taller? If so, then it's definitely chopped (assuming the AMT HT body is accurate). :unsure: