Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any up dates on the Moebius chevy II gasser ?

Mr mopar

Inaccuracy in in the eye of the beholder/buyer/builder. I can think of at least half a dozen kits with what I consider unacceptable (in some cases, unfixable) shape issues that others seem to buy and build in droves. B)

I don't think the top is chopped, so much as I'm thinking the windshield opening isn't tall enough at the top.  If you look at photos of 1:1 sedans, the top of the molding around the windshield is about level with the top of the drip rail over the doors.  It might be the molding is thicker than it needs to be, it might be that the opening could be filed open a bit higher (say, to the top of the existing molding) and a new upper molding added or scribed in.  Yes, it would be nice to not have to do it, but this doesn't look like a deal killer by any stretch of the imagination.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, Nimby Pickles said:

These were in one of the glass cases at Pegasus Hobbies yesterday. 

Five day response time, with multiple clear images to boot. 🔥😊 

23 hours ago, Mark said:

I don't think the top is chopped, so much as I'm thinking the windshield opening isn't tall enough at the top.  If you look at photos of 1:1 sedans, the top of the molding around the windshield is about level with the top of the drip rail over the doors.  It might be the molding is thicker than it needs to be, it might be that the opening could be filed open a bit higher (say, to the top of the existing molding) and a new upper molding added or scribed in.  Yes, it would be nice to not have to do it, but this doesn't look like a deal killer by any stretch of the imagination.

Your right about the windshield. But I don't know about the top overall, it sure looks chopped to me. And the top just looks real "thick" compared to the real thing. 

The White on Red 65′ Chevy Nova Sedan | GM Classics

DSC09686.jpg.e0add3ea9898a8e633b1790ce8883cd3.jpg

Edited by Draggon

On 5/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, Mark said:

Exactly my thought.
It would look a lot better with that fix like on the AMT 1966 Ford Fairlane kits.

3 hours ago, Draggon said:

Your right about the windshield. But I don't know about the top overall, it sure looks chopped to me. And the top just looks real "thick" compared to the real thing. 

The roofline is too low, and the rear corners of the roof too "sharp".

2 hours ago, Tom Kren said:

I don't care I just want it!!!🤑

Well when you settle for what others label off, not that I'm saying its not,, you accept mediocrity  i hear.  Im with you tho. This just may be my first gasser build.  Definitely getting the stock kit

Early previews of the '70 'Cuda show funky fender arches, production models show funky fender arches.

Early previews of a bumpside truck show some greenhouse weirdness, production kits have that greenhouse weirdness.

Early previews of the Kit That Must Not Be Named show a chopped roof, production kits have a chopped roof.

Early previews of a Jag E-type show a funky windshield, production kits have a funky windshield.

And facts and history are disregarded in the mad rush for irony lost on complaining about the "complainers" with about three times the vitriol of anyone "complaining" about the kits themselves.

The beat goes on.

9 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Early previews of the '70 'Cuda show funky fender arches, production models show funky fender arches.

And this writer shows how to easily fix this - which makes a huge improvement in how the completed model looks - in the new Kalmbach special issue.  After all, we are modelers and we have these skills readily accessible....not that that is all that relevant to the thread here, but....   TB 

Just now, tim boyd said:

And this writer shows how to easily fix this - which makes a huge improvement in how the completed model looks - in the new Kalmbach special issue.  After all, we are modelers and we have these skills readily accessible....not that that is all that relevant to the thread here, but....   TB 

At long last, some concrete information about what's in that book! This comes darn close to getting my attention/interest. B)

Just now, tim boyd said:

And this writer shows how to easily fix this, along with the belt line and top of front fenders - all of which makes a huge improvement in how the completed model looks - in the new Kalmbach special issue.  After all, we are modelers and we have these skills readily accessible....not that this is all that relevant to the thread here, but....   TB 

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

At least those are test shots ( first one a 3-D print ) , so corrections can be made before the dies are cut . 

The white plastic test shots shared by Mr Metzner at the top of pg 4 means that the tooling has been cut. Not that it can't be changed still, but the tooling has definitely been cut.

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Well sure, Tim, and yours is very pretty. The 'Cuda at least has the advantage of errors in excess, where you can knock off the stuff that doesn't look like a 'Cuda - from the wheel arches to the drip molding height to the front fender mass - till you get a better result. As you demonstrate, it's those of us who see these things and point them out who have an actual track record of fixing them.

But we have DECADES and innumerable examples now laying bare the folly of all this righteous heckling about picking on a kit before it's even released.

Some of us fall all over ourselves to declare WE'RE STILL INTERESTED IN THE KIT despite what we see. It's a topical discussion. It's on point. And still you have people trying to dictate to everyone else how we need to sanitize the conversation, gaslighting about things like the whole "accepting mediocrity" angle when that was only ever brought up as self-defense in the first place.

The beat goes on.

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

DSC 0710

Tim, your wheel openings look amazing! If I can find the mag locally, I just might buy it JUST to see how you accomplished that. B)

Still, there's just something about the whole front end of that kit that doesn't look right to me--just doesn't look like a '70 Cuda front end--and I cannot quite put my finger on just what it is. Maybe the bumper doesn't protrude enough? Maybe the top line of the front fenders tapers down too much, or too quickly? I need to put some serious research into this, as I have at least two copies of this kit and no desire to build either of them until I can figure out how to fix it. :unsure:

1970-plymouth-barracuda-cuda-440-6-bbl

0002_260A4416-1024x681.jpg

1970-plymouth-cuda