Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL Nationals #39....283 photos with all builders identified

tim boyd

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Could someone direct me to where I could find the winners of the categories and show favorite, I had to leave before presentations were given.

greg

Greg.....I missed the announcements as I was talking to someone when the announcements were made and could not hear the PA system very well 

I do know that Rick Hanmore was awarded the Tony Hill Memorial Family award for his Deora-style transporter and Bonneville Streamliner Go Kart combo.

DSC 0399

I also was told that John Pizio was voted the "Junk in the Trunk" Theme Award and the Overall Show "Most Popular" awards for his 1963 VW van......  

DSC 0401

I did not hear the rest of the awards and would welcome anyone who can fill us in with this info....

I always want to caution people that the NNL "most popular" awards are not intended to honor necessarily the "best" overall model at the show, but instead to honor the most popular model - that is, the one that you would most like to load up, take home, and display on your own model shelf.  

There are plenty of excellent model car contest events these days that single out the "best overall model"; whereas NNL's are all about displaying your models and hanging out with your modeling friends in a non-competitive environment....

Best.....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I haven't been to the NNL in Toledo since 2011 and it has always been a great show. However I started going there in 2000 or early 2000's and it was just mind boggling with all the vendors. Last time I went the vendors have dropped off quite a bit. Sorry to hear that next year will be the last for Toledo which had started the NNL's in the first place if I'm not mistaken, but if the people aren't there to put in the work to takeover the show and keep it going it'll be gone. Sad news, but times are changing.

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback.  I love this show, and I love sharing it with all of you.  If it inspires one more model to be built, or one more partially built model to be completed, it's all worth it.  See you all there next year....TIM 

Wow! There are some really awesome builds, very inspiring.

Thanks for posting that. 

If next year's NNL 40 is slated to be the last, are there any plans for a spin off type format of shows? It seems these shows have been very popular because of their format. From what I have read in the thread about shows, the IPMS format is not favoured. 

Edited by Rider

8 minutes ago, Rider said:

Thanks for posting that. 

If next year's NNL 40 is slated to be the last, are there any plans for a spin off type format of shows? It seems these shows have been very popular because of their format. From what I have read in the thread about shows, the IPMS format is not favoured. 

Lloyd....there are now NNL or NNL-like non-competitive events all around the country, and indeed, overseas (including South Africa and Australia).  Many of these shows are showing growth in participation and entries (contradicting the view of some that "the hobby is dying").  

As noted in one of the other threads in this folder, some believe that the NNL Motor City may pick up some of the recurring participants in the NNL Nationals after next year, and I expect other established NNL events will do the same.  

Thanks for the "thanks" on posting the images, too.  TIM  

11 minutes ago, Rider said:

Thanks for posting that. 

It sounds like next year is the last for this particular NNL event, presumably the other NNL events (East, West, etc)  around the country will continue. 

Thanks for the response guys. I jumped the gun on this question, :huh:

I didn't realize each event was it's own series or annual event within the NNL format. I have to say as much as the NNL format makes perfect sense and I truly believe in it.  I would be interested in knowing what the consensus is to also include have a judged format/category within an NNL show, could this even be done successfully? Or is that just a waste of time, is this something that has been tried, or considered? Just curious. Perhaps this isn't the place to ask this, I don't mean to high jack this thread. 

First GSL then NNL (for why NNL was formed) going. I attended the 15th NNL and had Larry Hornsby take a couple of entry's for the 16th. Sad to see it going. May see if I can make it back for the final ha rah. Anyone know what the theme will be for the final NNL.

Tim 

Edited by Tim H

8 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

It sounds like next year is the last for this particular NNL event, presumably the other NNL events (East, West, etc)  around the country will continue. 

To my knowledge just about every model car event in the country is a totally seperate independent event.  Each organized and run by different unrelated groups.  What happens to one has no affect on any other.

7 hours ago, Rider said:

Thanks for the response guys. I jumped the gun on this question, :huh:

I didn't realize each event was it's own series or annual event within the NNL format. I have to say as much as the NNL format makes perfect sense and I truly believe in it.  I would be interested in knowing what the consensus is to also include have a judged format/category within an NNL show, could this even be done successfully? Or is that just a waste of time, is this something that has been tried, or considered? Just curious. Perhaps this isn't the place to ask this, I don't mean to high jack this thread. 

The original NNL was specifically a NON contest & it has continued for almost 40 years by sticking to that format.  You want judges go to a contest you want a much more casual atmosphere go to a NNL event.  While I am at it any show calling itself a NNL that has judging is NOT a NNL.

1 hour ago, jas1957 said:

The original NNL was specifically a NON contest & it has continued for almost 40 years by sticking to that format.  You want judges go to a contest you want a much more casual atmosphere go to a NNL event.  While I am at it any show calling itself a NNL that has judging is NOT a NNL.

Fair enough. Just asking 

21 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Thanks Tim. Excellent coverage and very inspirational. I have only been the one NNL many years ago - NNL West. It looks like models are placed on the tables according to their type. Just curious - how many grouping were there at the NNL Nationals?

Phil.....grouping like models together has been a part of the NNL ever since the "Merc Deuce Reunion"/NNL Nats #4(?) in the fall of 1981 (you can read about it in Scale Auto Enthusiast c. early 1982, or on the "35 years of Scale Auto" CD offering from Kalmbach.  

I don't know the exact count of NNL Categories (each signified by an NNL "license plate" designed by Tom Woodruff), but it is probably 15 or more.... including Primer Projects, the Theme Table, Cult Theme, Street Rods, Street Machines, Customs, Sports Cars, trucks (light and heavy duty),  motorcycles, and several categories of race vehicles....TIM 

15 hours ago, Rider said:

Fair enough. Just asking 

Lloyd, as John says, the "non competitive, non judged" idea was/is at the very core of the NNL movement from the very first event in Tom Woodruff's garage in the summer of 1980.  

Here's a copy of the flyer/invitation to the NNL West #2 in January, 1983 that helps to explain the NNL "idea".  See the paragraph on the lower left called "What the **** is the NNL?" 

NNL West #2 Invitation wo phone numbers 12-82

Edited by tim boyd