Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, this is nutty............

I am surprised they decided to stuff a Powerglide in behind the engine with a LX chassis diff in place of the transaxle, I'd have tried fitting a C5-C7 transaxle in the stock location to try and maintain some semblance of the stock front/rear balance if it were me.  Then again, I'd also consider sticking a modded Pentastar 3.6l in there with a built up OEM transaxle in one. At +/- 3000lbs with around 300hp at the wheels would be very entertaining without being as life threatening as the Hellcrate swapB)

Edited by Joe Handley

I looked into used Prowlers a few years ago as a fun weekend car, I’ve always been a fan of them, but good luck finding a running one for under 20k. 

I don’t have a problem with the V6, but they really should’ve at least given us a manual transmission option. 

1 hour ago, gasman said:

I looked into used Prowlers a few years ago as a fun weekend car, I’ve always been a fan of them, but good luck finding a running one for under 20k. 

I don’t have a problem with the V6, but they really should’ve at least given us a manual transmission option. 

They probably would have if there was one available for the LH cars, since these just used the engine and transaxle from those then separated them from each other with a torque tube to make these Rear Wheel Drive. I think that these may have been the second American production car that had the front engine/rear transaxle layout too, following the '61-'63 Tempest and beating the C5 Vette to market, think it was one of the first non Supercar uses of the cantilevered, pushrod suspension used on a production street car.

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

When's someone gonna do it in 1/25?

Round 2 brought back AMT/ERTL's Concept Car promo in the past couple months (got picks of it and my original SnapFast kit posted here yesterday), but I hope they fix the stupid "Rides" issue wheels and bring the production car glue kit back, that would actually be worth the $30 like they're asking for the Snap-It kit at Hobby Lobby.

3 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

That thing is going to be scary fast if they can keep from blowing the rear tires off.

Dad thinks that in using that 'Glide vs trying to fit something with more forward gears, not making tiresmoke and having that car be driveable will be difficult. Oddly enough, his mind went straight to using a C5-C7 transaxle in it too?!