Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Plymouth Road Runner


echoxrayniner
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, echoxrayniner said:

I'd been looking for one of those old MPC '75 Road Runner kits for years and never got lucky, until I scored, of all things, a sparkly, may-as-well-be new MPC promo from the same year in this nasty metallic brown. But was happy nonetheless, curbside or not, did have to absolutely shred the entire chassis apart to be able to replace the boredom inducing standard hubcap wheels cause of course promos have arguably the best rolling wheels axle set-up of anything. Replaced the ripped asunder metal axles with some Torino GT wheels, tires and wheel backings, also used the door mirrors from the same kit to at least give the model some mirrors, even if they don't match/fit.

To make up for the lack of a engine I tried to give the interior some extra love, just couldn't get the seats out from the tub but ah well, still came out rather lovely. Used my own decal sheet for the whole shebang.

1975roadrunner-18.jpg
1975roadrunner-6.jpg
1975roadrunner-16.jpg
1975roadrunner-7.jpg
1975roadrunner-8.jpg
1975roadrunner-14.jpg
1975roadrunner-13.jpg
1975roadrunner-11.jpg
 

Road Runner! The coyote's after you! Road Runner! If he catches you, you're through!

Edited by Ron Hamilton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great job.  I just sold last year my 75 360 with 39000 miles on it.  It was not real quick but it was a nice driving car with A/C and it handled quite well.  I refer to your builds quite a bit .  Btw where are the decals from?     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NJ, first of all, nice model! I especially like the varnish, interior and the wheels.

I also visited your website, especially the "About" section is a very amusing read. :D I like that style! Your website domain is saved as I will sooner or later come back to you on US car decals. You seem to have a lot goods ones of them on offer.

Final question: as on your website you state that you do all paintjobs except for metallics with a brush, has the Road Runner been done with a brush too??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That turned out great! Haven't seen many of these built, so nice to see one that has been done as nicely as this one. I agree with the others, the interior looks really good, but nice work on the exterior as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10-10-2018 at 10:56 AM, Tommy124 said:

NJ, first of all, nice model! I especially like the varnish, interior and the wheels.

I also visited your website, especially the "About" section is a very amusing read. :D I like that style! Your website domain is saved as I will sooner or later come back to you on US car decals. You seem to have a lot goods ones of them on offer.

Final question: as on your website you state that you do all paintjobs except for metallics with a brush, has the Road Runner been done with a brush too??

Thanks man! Normally, especially with blacks and whatnot I still do use enamel paints like a dolt, if not to just go through the absolutely idiotic amount of enamel paints I got left. But on this one I used a paint can, been using 'em more often lately to save some time and they come out a hell of a lot better that way, but just happened to have this color sitting around anyway from a old Pontiac Firebird build from a while ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, espo said:

Very nice clean looking rebuild. Very fitting color for your Road Runner. The interior is the most outstanding part for myself. I remember MoPar's with an interior option much like what you did here. To bad the insurance companies killed the performance cars, they were such fun to own and drive.  

Also the EPA killed it with CAT mufflers, unleaded gas and weaned carbs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

Also the EPA killed it with CAT mufflers, unleaded gas and weaned carbs.

The EPA requiring the Cats. actually helped the performance in a way. An example. I was working at a Chevrolet dealership in '74 when the first '75 models started arriving with the new required smog equipment. The very first car in was a base model Nova coupe with the 350 and automatic transmission. It would blow the doors off the '74 models. Yes there were lean carb settings and retarded spark advances, but if tuned correctly the engine would shut off when you turned off the ignition. Anyone else remember the models prior to '75 models that would sound like a diesel engine when you shut them off. The engine would cough and sputter before it would die. The insurance problems started in the '60's when anything with SS or GTX or any other car that had letters and numbers in its name. Also if you were under 25 they just raised the rates to where you couldn't afford the insurance and High Performance cars of any stripe became harder to sell, and then there was that little "Police Action" in South East Asia, and that is a wholenother can of worms  that we will not bring up. The interesting thing with the technology of today we have the average 2.0 liter Turbocharger econobox that would shame many of the old muscle cars and would corner and stop far better plus more than double the gas mileage.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, espo said:

The EPA requiring the Cats. actually helped the performance in a way. An example. I was working at a Chevrolet dealership in '74 when the first '75 models started arriving with the new required smog equipment. The very first car in was a base model Nova coupe with the 350 and automatic transmission. It would blow the doors off the '74 models. Yes there were lean carb settings and retarded spark advances, but if tuned correctly the engine would shut off when you turned off the ignition. Anyone else remember the models prior to '75 models that would sound like a diesel engine when you shut them off. The engine would cough and sputter before it would die. The insurance problems started in the '60's when anything with SS or GTX or any other car that had letters and numbers in its name. Also if you were under 25 they just raised the rates to where you couldn't afford the insurance and High Performance cars of any stripe became harder to sell, and then there was that little "Police Action" in South East Asia, and that is a wholenother can of worms  that we will not bring up. The interesting thing with the technology of today we have the average 2.0 liter Turbocharger econobox that would shame many of the old muscle cars and would corner and stop far better plus more than double the gas mileage.  

Yes, the 75s ran better than the equivalent 74. Going from a 10 compression ratio to 8 hurt a lot too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...