Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo Han, a few ancient builds

<profile removed>

Here's a few Jo Han kits I built probably 30-35 years ago. The pink DeSoto and Dodge are a bit more recent. Those are the green window kits put out by X-El, or Seville, or whoever they were that week. I, truly, miss Jo Han, as I'm sure a lot of us do. Fortunately, I have a bunch more waiting to be built, and I am hoping to do a better job with them than what you see here. But, these sure make me nostalgic, and I hope they bring back some memories for you all, too!

DSCN0319.JPG

DSCN0316.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG

DSCN0313.JPG

DSCN0310.JPG

DSCN0309.JPG

A great collection of builds!  One thing that caught-my-eye; I would have suspected that the '59 Cadillac 4-door would have been one of the largest, (size-wise in 1:1), autos in the group, but that built-up appears somewhat undersized to my eyes, (like it might be 1:26th scale or something).  Anybody else see it that way...?

9 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

A great collection of builds!  One thing that caught-my-eye; I would have suspected that the '59 Cadillac 4-door would have been one of the largest, (size-wise in 1:1), autos in the group, but that built-up appears somewhat undersized to my eyes, (like it might be 1:26th scale or something).  Anybody else see it that way...?

Yes, the Caddy is definitely smaller. I think I read somewhere a while back that Jo Han would sort of scale them to whatever would fit in their standard promo box (like Matchbox cars) . I have no idea if that is true. You'll also notice the Marlin and the DeSoto are a bit larger in scale. Could also just be one of the many quirks that makes Jo Han so endearing.

I built a Marlin waaaaay back in '85 in the exact same colors. I think yellow really goes with Marlin body style very well.

Yours looks ten times better than the one I did. Mine was molded in that light blue plastic, and it messed with the yellow paint. LOL

12 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

Yes, the Caddy is definitely smaller. I think I read somewhere a while back that Jo Han would sort of scale them to whatever would fit in their standard promo box (like Matchbox cars) . I have no idea if that is true. You'll also notice the Marlin and the DeSoto are a bit larger in scale. Could also just be one of the many quirks that makes Jo Han so endearing.

Great collection, nicely done.

I also really like the old Johans and have noticed the slightly different scales they used. Eg, every Rambler/AMC kit or promo I have is in 1.24th.

These look great Rob!  One of the few Marlins I have ever seen built.  When I was a kid there was one here in Perth, in red and black, and I used to love seeing it appear near the city. I'd love to see what Chip or Troy would do with one.  I always thought the back was so exciting while the front was a bit pedestrian.

Love these for all the care you have given them and look forward to extending yourself on the others in your stash.

Cheers

Alan

Thank you Alan, and all! The Marlin was actually the second one I built. It was molded in a milky aqua and I was going to do it in aqua and white, but there was just something about the black and yellow image on the box. The first one I had was molded in off white, as I recall. I was only 10 or 11 and I remember being frustrated with the multi piece front suspension, so I never finished it. They are pretty cool vehicles in the "flesh". Could be fun, if a bit expensive now, to create a Rambler Tarpon from various Johan Rambler bits. Anyone tried it?

Edited by AMC ROB