Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo Han, a few ancient builds

<profile removed>

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, AMC ROB said:

Yes, the Caddy is definitely smaller. I think I read somewhere a while back that Jo Han would sort of scale them to whatever would fit in their standard promo box (like Matchbox cars) . I have no idea if that is true. You'll also notice the Marlin and the DeSoto are a bit larger in scale. Could also just be one of the many quirks that makes Jo Han so endearing.

Yes, Art Anderson responded to me many years ago on the "other" forum on this very topic with the answer being as you remember.  Cadillacs shrunk to 1/26 or so while cars such as the '62 Studebaker Lark grew to about 1/22.5 or thereabouts; all in the name of filling the promo box!  Very odd motivation (I think)  - especially making certain models bigger to fill the box.

By the way, a nicely built collection of desirable JoHan models, Rob!  I, too, have several - mostly from the original USA Oldies release, ca. 1975 and X-EL promos fro the '80s.

gt

Edited by gbt216
added some thoughts