Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Overnight Mack U Model

Great job with this model.  I am the owner of the actual Mack U-model shown in the picture.  My Dad retired from Overnite Transportation and we found that truck sitting in the weeds in Wilkesboro, NC.  It had been parked and abandoned for 11 years and we are restoring it.  If you need any other pictures or help with your model then let me know.  Excellent work!

Mike McCurry

IMG_3325.JPG

50 minutes ago, MikeMcCUrry said:

Great job with this model.  I am the owner of the actual Mack U-model shown in the picture.  My Dad retired from Overnite Transportation and we found that truck sitting in the weeds in Wilkesboro, NC.  It had been parked and abandoned for 11 years and we are restoring it.  If you need any other pictures or help with your model then let me know.  Excellent work!

Mike McCurry

IMG_3325.JPG

I'm glad you looked in!! I actually met you or maybe your dad at the Spencer truck show this year. It was my favorite truck of the show. I was immediately inspired to build this project, though it didn't get started right away. I took a few reference pictures then, but if I need any more I will definitely let you know.

Thanks!

Brian

7 hours ago, olsbooks said:

Attention to detail paid off.   Nice. Love the old tachograph.  Did you make it?  Also, where do you get your filter decals and also the stuff you are famous for littering up the cab?

Peace

Thanks!!

The tachograph I made. I cut one out of the dash of an IH 4200 kit. I then made a back for it. I made a silicon mold of it. I then cast a couple.

The filter decals are from Jerry a modeltruckin.com.

I make the cab litter. Bags, boxes, calendars, log books, 8-track tape decals are made from photo reduced images.

On 11/9/2018 at 3:28 PM, PettyKW43 said:

Of all the great builders on this forum I find you give me the most new ideas for projects! Although I am not sure I need any more ideas?! Another great build!

I got most of my inspiration from folks right here on this forum. Sadly, many of them are no longer on here.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:12 PM, Pete68 said:

Brian

very nice build these U models always look good as a LTL truck and the “tattletale” is a nice touch 

Thanks Lee!

On 11/14/2018 at 9:07 PM, guitarsam326 said:

Awesome job Brian!

Thanks Sam! Glad to see you on here! It was good to see you and your family at Colfax.

• 3 months later...

I finally did some more work on the U Model today. The hood is hinged and mounted, Mirror brackets are made and installed, mudflap hangers made and mudflaps installed. It doesn't sound like much for 3 months, but that's how it goes sometimes.

46570586514_8df453d9c6_k.jpgIMG_4424 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

33418135778_130aec5b09_k.jpgIMG_4426 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

40329200503_75beb3a9a2_k.jpgIMG_4425 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

47293757961_81f3fcf0f0_k.jpgIMG_4430 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Outstanding work Brian! The tip for the windshield rubber will come in handy as some of the resin kits I recently purchased have very little detailing around the rear windows. That looks like a simple but effective way to fix that problem.

Super clean build Brian! 

I also want to thank everyone for being so educational on this site. Both with the models and the 1:1. I used to see one of these run around town all the time with a little dump box on it and wondered what model Mack it was. Now I know. 

Oh, and if ever a Mac could be considered "cute", that little dump truck was just the cutest little thing.  :D