Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Mustang II

unclescott58

This is the old IMC, later Testor's and then Lindberg kit. I've got mixed feeling about this one. A tough build. And flimsy when finished. But, a neat subject. 

A couple of changes I made. I never like the white with blue accents of the real car's interior. A couple of years ago Hot Wheels did a white Mustang II with a solid blue interior. I liked that one much better, so I copied that idea. I was going to add the blue stripe decals. But, after seeing it sitting there in it's plain white pearl Tamiya lacquer, I decided to leave it that way. 

Again, I don't know how I feel about this kit. It turned out okay. But no we're near great. Will I ever build another one? No. It's a crappy model of a cool car. Now to finish it's Cougar II sister kit. I hope that turns out a little bit better. 

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

23 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Looks good !  That one and the Cougar ll are both pretty tough kits.

I've got the interior and chassis of the Cougar II done already. Obviously you Ray, would recognize it's chassis. Over all, what's been built so far has gone together fairly well. But, that body worries me. Especially the working side windows. 

I built one a long time ago from the IMC kit (later reissued by Lindberg).  I did not realize the blue interior was that bright but 25 years ago is was next to impossible to find color pictures of the original concept.  Yes it is one of those kits that once is enough.  For it's time is wasn't bad and is fairly accurate but there isn't much you can do other than build it stock.  I have another unbuilt one and that Hotwheels idea is neat.

IMG_3008.PNG

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

Edited by vamach1

image.png.24fa06f3e2c945e01cc644b106ccb894.png

Wow! Thanks for posting that Rex! I have this kit too with a TON of pics, and I didn't realize either that the blue was that bright. ;) This is on my someday list to build too, but first order of business if I ever get around to building it is to chuck those plastic door hinges.

Those are a big no-no in my world as they never hold up for me over time!

9 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

This is on my someday list to build too, but first order of business if I ever get around to building it is to chuck those plastic door hinges.

I'm thinking of just gluing the doors shut and having done with it. If I want to slam scale doors, I've got plenty of diecasts. B)

I might eventually build one "stock," but my first one is going to be candyapple red. And I have several of the kits, so I'm gonna combine two of the hardtops and make a "station wagon" top for it, too. B)

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

image.png.24fa06f3e2c945e01cc644b106ccb894.png

Wow! Thanks for posting that Rex! I have this kit too with a TON of pics, and I didn't realize either that the blue was that bright. ;) This is on my someday list to build too, but first order of business if I ever get around to building it is to chuck those plastic door hinges.

I saw the real one at Fords at Carlisle several years ago, and I don't remember the interior being that bright. It was a more subdued medium metallic blue. Maybe it was restored.