Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Miata Mk1

CabDriver

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I agree totally Stef!  That Rustoleum clear I used really made those lines look shallow.  I gave them a good scribin' this morning...

2v2EDihAgxue8Lf.jpg

NOOICE. This is going to look better than any of the actual cars ever did.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:36 PM, CabDriver said:

Those are super helpful, thanks buddy!

What a great looking project!  Those BBS wheels look great on a Miata, whatever the scale!  And I LOVE the photo etch parts that you've made!  I wish I had the skill to make those too!  VERY cool! 

J

Thanks Jim!  Yours is coming along great (even with some setbacks).  I'll get back to mine . . . one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 10:16 PM, Eric Macleod said:

The car obviously has a ton of underhood plumbing which could complicate a full detail job. I like the middle of the road path you are taking.

I'd like to do a REALLY detailed build of one of these, and incorporate more of that stuff definitely (without it looking like a rat's-nest of out-of-scale wires in there) but you're right, I'm going pretty middle-of-the-road here to try and keep it FAIRLY simple...this build is almost an exercise in getting to know this kit and it's quirks thinking of future builds down the line.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody!

Edited by CabDriver

Had family in town for the last couple of weeks so I didn't have much time to work on this, which was frustrating because I don't like sitting looking at something that I can't redo right away after I've screwed it up :D 

Got the body and related parts back in red, and clear-coated them this morning.  I'm using Rustoleum clear, which can sometimes lay down a little orange-peely but seems to level out nicely after a few hours...these bits should polish up nicely hopefully anyway:

2v2ETRdZLxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ETRd7qxue8Lf.jpg

I wasn't totally happy with the decal that Revell provides for the gauges, so I found a photo of one and reduced it down to print a little version that I can insert into the opening...and whilst I was doing that I did some licence plates and different instruments and some other stuff for future builds:

2v2ETRytMxue8Lf.jpg

35 cents and one trip to the local Walgreens later...tada!

2v2ETRyUjxue8Lf.jpg

This will be mostly hidden anyway, but I'm pretty pleased with the effect - I'll be trying this trick again on future builds:

2v2ETRyWqxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ETRMpgxue8Lf.jpg

I need to dust this thing too, it's been sitting on my bench for 3 weeks :D

More soon, thanks for looking!

Great thread! I’ve never owned a Miata but always have been a fan. I remember when they were introduced. The first time  I saw one in person was at our friends child’s christening. One of the guests had one there and was happy to show it off and give us all rides around the block. It doesn’t seem that long ago, but we attended that child’s wedding last summer!

Edited by Tom Geiger

You're absolutely right Shay, it IS carpetted...

2v2ET4S1zxue8Lf.jpg

...but with the soft top roof piece that comes in the kit that area's covered so I left it.  Not sure how accurate that soft roof is though, that said...

Tiny update as I'm replying anyway...these wheels are nicely molded but that chrome finish has gotta go!

2v2ETscVdxue8Lf.jpg

Much better! 

2v2ET4SPvxue8Lf.jpg

Any of our Miata fans out there know what color the Mazda lettering is on these daisy wheels?  I can't recall if its dark grey or a gunmetal color...

1 hour ago, dublin boy said:

Just tried the Tamiya hard top on the Revell kit, it's very close to a perfect fit....

You got the wheels covered Jim, but what will you do with the rear light lenses?

Interesting!  I'm DEFINITELY going to end up doing a hybrid build with the two kits somewhere down the line.

2v2EPwGoCxue8Lf.jpg

You're right, the lights aren't exactly a great representation of the 1:1's:

led.jpg

They give you decals to represent the orange and white sections, but I don't image that would look too good.  I'd MUCH prefer some clear ones like the Tamiya kit comes with so I can paint them how I'd like:

2v2JRY7Hrxue8Lf.jpg

I think what I'll end up doing here is polishing off the (incorrect) raised detail and painting these as best I can and detail paint them on the inside to get as close as possible.   Guess we'll see how successfully that works out!

It occurred to me, that soft roof in the previous post isn't meant to be the roof, its the tonneau cover...I had one for my 1:1 but never once put it on there I don't think!  Looking at some pics of them online it seems like it's pretty accurate, so I shot it with some Createx flat black along with a few other bits and pieces ready for installation once it dries:

2v2ETTwdrxue8Lf.jpg

More soon!

You are making a good progress.  And yes, those taillights are another reason I prefer the Tamiya kit (but it is a curbside, so it would need an engine transplant from the Revell kit).

Spraying the shiny "chrome" wheels with some Dullcote would have produced nice satin aluminum finish.

You'd have to cut out the bonnet out on the Tamiya kit, and I'd imagine you'd have to do a lot more mods to get the running gear in.

Should be a nice kit bash, the Tamiya bodyshell is much nicer when you can eyeball the two of them at the same time.

I was surprised when I saw Revell re-release this a while ago, never seen one built up, so keep going Jim!

23 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I think the Mazda lettering in the wheels had paint in there,  and it would have been black. I sold my last Miata 12 years ago and my memory is foggy! A quick online check matches my hunch though.

That's what I suspected buddy, thanks!  The molding on the kit wheels is a little shallow, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick that detail out cleanly but I'll give it a shot...

On 6/17/2019 at 2:28 AM, peteski said:

Spraying the shiny "chrome" wheels with some Dullcote would have produced nice satin aluminum finish.

I did try that in fact, but it was still a little shiny for my tastes...more like this:

2179450398_e3e20f2e2b_b.jpg

...than this...

2179665612_b81dc9f10e_b.jpg

I stripped the chrome and hit them with some Tamiya flat aluminum, which looks pretty close to me (a little darker in this photo than they really are, but looks good in real life...):

2v2ESuN4Mxue8Lf.jpg

Just a little update as I'm posting anyway - I used some mini o-rings and some Detail Master wire to wire the head on this thing - getting closer to getting the engine ready to assemble properly!

2v2ESuNPNxue8Lf.jpg

More soon!

On 6/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, Rider said:

Great looking decals for a nice build. 

Thanks buddy!

Got the body of this repainted and polished out today - I'm still struggling to learn a new painting routine since I lost my outdoor place to spray (unless I go in the street and paint in NYC traffic anyway), but I'm starting to get there anyway:

2v2ESqZV2xue8Lf.jpg

And got some more work done on the engine - installed a dipstick and made a couple of bits that were missing from the kit (actually, short shots on the sprue:

2v2ESdB3vxue8Lf.jpg

2v2ESdBpoxue8Lf.jpg

It's starting to look like a real engine bay!

2v2ESd6k8xue8Lf.jpg

More soon!

50 minutes ago, dublin boy said:

I finally found pics of two built up kits, the ride height was like a Range Rover on both of them.

I hope it's easy to fix, just giving you a small heads up Jim.

Yeah, they're a bit high with the stock suspension I notice :D

Mazda-Miata-on-a-Bronco-II-4WD-chassis-0

A couple of reviewers for this kit noted that it won't fit together properly without modifying the windshield, which is good to know about before I've got it in place for good - I'm going to have a careful look at the suspension pieces too, thanks buddy!

On 6/24/2019 at 5:33 PM, dublin boy said:

I seem to have a use for my Tamiya shell now. lol

I have a broken Bronco somewhere.

So what's the story with the windscreen fit?

Haha, do it!  There's a whole sub-culture of people making off-road Miatas! 

Apparently you need to remove 1/8th of an inch from the bottom of the windshield to make it fit right, but I haven't tried it yet...I'm gonna have to soon tho :D

In the meantime, got the black bits masked on the body ready for paint...

2v2EVuGTvxue8Lf.jpg

...painted it :D ...

2v2EVuGV9xue8Lf.jpg

...and it turned out ok!

2v2EVuGhuxue8Lf.jpg

Had to do it in two parts because the masking was tricky, and it needs a little touch up (including a couple of bits I could only see when I saw these pics), but got it done...

2v2EVuz5jxue8Lf.jpg

I still need to give it a coat of Novus number 1 to bring the shine back, but I didn't want to try painting over so that'll be later in the process.

Whilst the paint's drying I foiled those little emblems on the back bumper, added the custom license plate (to commemorate the NA Miata's 30th birthday) and used a little Molotow on the recesses for the side lights:

2v2EVJon5xue8Lf.jpg

More soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the chassis of this thing for a past week or so - it's not particularly interesting, lots of semigloss black as per the 1:1 car, but I completed a few more interesting bits whilst I was waiting for paint to dry...

Got the side markers painted with first Molotow and then Tamiya clear red (and clear orange for the front ones) - worked better than the kit decals I think:

2v2EVAoGNxue8Lf.jpg

Painted the three components of the radiator, added a little photo etch cap...

2v2EVATHNxue8Lf.jpg

...and got it assembled ready to install:

2v2EVRrCFxue8Lf.jpg

And once I'd got the chassis to the point where there was nothing to add (except the exhaust, which I'm going to add towards the end of the build so I don't damage it through repeated handling) I got the interior tub glued in place and got the body on there:

2v2EhDogFxue8Lf.jpg

Got a little touch up to do on the black paint in a couple of spots, but it's starting to look like a Miata!

2v2EhD2oGxue8Lf.jpg

Next jobs are Molotowing the inside of those front turn signals, doing something with the rear lights (which aren't brilliant, on this kit) and assembling the mirrors and gluing the last few bits in place!  More soon (soon as some of this paint dries)

54 minutes ago, dublin boy said:

Some pics missing, at least over here Jim. lol

Well, you’re a long way away, they probably didn’t get all the way over the Atlantic yet ?

Might be Fotki being slow, they’re not loading very fast for me either