Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRAT comes out ahead - so in we go!

Faust

Well, the results are in and the people have spoken! Of the kits I managed to snag in London (Ontario, Canada) during the model show at the end of September, one has been quite overwhelmingly chosen as the “king of the losers”! The winner of this dubious title was the AMT BRAT, that awesome little bundle of tax-evading passenger un-safety!

The margin  of victory was considerable, with 71 votes, the Brat managed 17. Sure, that’s only 24%, but in Canadian politics at least, that’s more than enough to win!  Given that the BRAT is also one of my top purchases (since I stupidly passed one up years ago) I was more than willing to dive right in and get you guys an Out of Box report on this fairly rare little beast. So check it out below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amt-matchbox-1-25-1978-subaru-brat-oob/

brat-oob-023.jpg?w=400

I’m looking forward to this build. When I was 13, a friend of mine named Walter had a dad who had one of these. We went for a long ride up PA 309 (speed limit: 55 mph) while Walt and I were sitting in those lawn chairs in the back. In a rainstorm. I’ll never forget that ride, of course...

I know someone with a collection of models for sale, saw the list, this kit was one so I looked up on eBay and found it was "rare" and price was ridiculous.  The dude also wanted a premium for the whole collection, would not sell one at a time.

45 minutes ago, gasman said:

I could’ve sworn I read on here somewhere that round 2 is reissuing this one next year,

Tim Boyd mentioned Round2 is looking into it-- no definite anything either way at this point, so we wait.

Oh man, if we could get this reissued, it would be awesome! I'd likely buy another one, just for the decals. :)

I was surprised to see it going for as much as it is. I got a real deal on mine. That means I don't have to worry (as much) about something if it goes wrong!

I'm glad a lot of folks are excited about this one!

I'd rather Round 2 reissue the California Sunshine or, be still my beating heart, the "Grand Superfly". I'd buy like three of those...

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard anything more about this being reissued? 

I know it wasn't in Round 2's last report, but it would still be cool if it was reissued at some point. I'd love one decked out like the prototype, with the big airdam/deflector thing and in the orange/white paint scheme!

I remember when those 1:1 were new.  A couple of years ago, my friends saw a yard sale with a few models out, found out there was a large stash, but the guy was only selling the whole thing.  When I went through the list, saw this and wondered what the heck it is, saw one on eBay for a ridiculous price.  So heck ya, look forward to seeing someone actually build one.

10 hours ago, Faust said:

It's funny: I posted this, and THEN I saw that discussion.  Of course. That's how it always goes, isn't it. 

Pretty much. Just glad to have this one back, even though it's from the Lesney era of not-the-best AMT kits. :)

On 02/02/2019 at 2:44 AM, Zoom Zoom said:

Ever since I built my restomod BRAT STi I've wanted to build another in stock form; my model below was built in 2006 from a vintage kit I'd had for a couple decades. A guy on this forum from the UK liked it well enough to build his own version in 1:1 scale!

2v2vRTpYjxvKa6.jpg

2v2vRTpB5xvKa6.jpg

2veRZApdxvKa6.jpg

2veRZAtqxvKa6.jpg

2veRZAD8xvKa6.jpg

2veRZAJFxvKa6.jpg

I remember seeing your build abd thought it was an awesome concept.

Ben