Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRAT comes out ahead - so in we go!

Faust

On 2/1/2019 at 10:44 AM, Zoom Zoom said:

A guy on this forum from the UK liked it well enough to build his own version in 1:1 scale

Pretty much the ultimate compliment of your vision and execution, and deservedly so. :)

Hmmm, maybe that AMT go kart chassis can be put to use elsewhere...

lilbrat.jpg.62e1d4044790892c01618754fbd6b7fd.jpg

That advert for the contest is awesome! I love industry insider stuff like that!

I also want that pile of kits they show in the ad. I'd rather win that than a real BRAT! (Easier to store, doesn't rust, etc.)

I do find it interesting that the "BRAT Brat", that little angel/devil character is shown on the go cart. I've not seen it used anywhere else! Does anyone know anything else about it?

I do like that the go kart is brown. Of  course it is. Thanks, 1970s...

I'm still wishing and waiting for Round 2 to bring the Brat back. It was a cool little truck that would be fun to have in full size or miniature scale model size. Looking at the interest here, Round 2 should consider it. 

I too would be interested in learning more about the AMT/Brat contest noted above. I do not remember anything about that one. It would be fun to see what people came up with for designs. Some magazine in the past must have had the results? 

P.S. What were "Speedtrack" racing sets? I've never heard of them. 

Edited by unclescott58

17 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm still wishing and waiting for Round 2 to bring the Brat back. It was a cool little truck that would be fun to have in full size or miniature scale model size. Looking at the interest here, Round 2 should consider it. 

I too would be interested in learning more about the AMT/Brat contest noted above. I do not remember anything about that one. It would be fun to see what people came up with for designs. Some magazine in the past must have had the results? 

P.S. What were "Speedtrack" racing sets? I've never heard of them. 

They actually are!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, unclescott58 said:

Okay, I found it. On page 3 (of course).

Yeah, isn't that always the way?

Have we seen any shots of the new decal sheet? I wonder if they'll give it the full stripe, not just the short one of the original kit? It would be a big improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

The Speed Tack sets were Matchbox's  entry into the slot car market, slightly larger than Tyco and AFX "H.O." cars. The rails were also a different width from Tyco and AFX tracks so only Matchbox slot cars could run on them. They also marketed a slotless system too. Remember this is the era that Lesney Products (Matchbox) owned AMT.

• 1 month later...

Is the new BRAT out now? I didn't realize that. 

I've got to get my tail behind me and get mine done! I wanted to be able to showcase it so people would know what they're getting into.

Be warned... it's a kit that needs  A LOT of work to work out nicely. 

I wonder if any 1:1 Brats of the past spent time as racers on the Baja of California or in any of those cross-country off-road races that used to occur down thru Mexico?   This kit would appeal to me even more if I could find a racing-version in 1:1 and try to replicate it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 10:57 PM, '70 Grande said:

I wonder if any 1:1 Brats of the past spent time as racers on the Baja of California or in any of those cross-country off-road races that used to occur down thru Mexico?   This kit would appeal to me even more if I could find a racing-version in 1:1 and try to replicate it.  

I took a brief look couldn't find much by way of vintage racing how about you ?