Model Cars Magazine Forum

I bought this kit at a flea market for $1. It's not my usual area of interest, but hey, it was only a dollar.

DSCN1660.JPG

Then I went to see the Blues last June, and.... "Aha! Now I know what I can do with that kit!"  Since I only paid a buck for the kit, I figured I could splurge for the CAM decals. Very nice, thin and totally opaque. The yellow trim is painted with Testors Yellow, and the blue is MM Blue Angel Blue.

DSCN1666.JPG

DSCN1668.JPG

DSCN1669.JPG

DSCN1670.JPG

Edited by Kit Basher

Just now, unclescott58 said:

Very nice job. Got to love the Angels and Thunderbirds. 

Thanks, Scott! I haven't seen the Birds for a while, but they were awesome in F-16s.  Until last June, the last time I saw the Blues they were flying F-4s, obviously a long time ago. The show this summer was absolutely amazing!

Beautiful. :D 

First time I saw the Angels was around '58, at NAS Lakehurst (NJ). Flying F11Fs back then (I think), and I can still remember the low-level passes like it was yesterday. Lakehurst was a blimp base, and they'd regularly fly right over my house on the way to or from anti-sub patrols. It was a good world to be a kid in.

Last time I saw 'em was at Dobbins/NAS Atlanta, and the RATO-equipped C-130 was part of the show. Later, the Marines did some jump-jet demos. All before the airbase neighbors got to be too uptight about airshows. Good days. Thanks for the memory trigger, too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 1 month later...

Super cool subject matter, and a job very well executed! This jogged my memory...….didn't one of the model companies offer a four-jet set of the Blue Angels in the early sixties? I seem to remember the kit as having a clear plastic four-pointed "star"-like component to hold the four jets in formation on a stand. Anyone besides me ( I'm 64 ) remember seeing this kit, or build it? Maybe 1/72 scale, or so.