Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford junker - Learning curve thread

landman

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

205c 3

Since springs came up in this thread.  Here's a reference photo of the interior in a '49 Ford. Note there is a lot of things happening here. There are a few different types of springs all within a wire frame, an "S" wire on the back.

DSC00050

Here's my attempt. I believe ballpoint pen springs would be too large. I simply wound flexible wire around a round dowel. I wasn't all that pleased with this result, but once you add some random wire, rust it all and add bits of fabric and stuffing... and it will be sitting down in an interior, it may be convincing.  

Also mentioned was the layering of paint, then sanding down through the layers. Good technique, I wet sand mine. It comes out better than dry sanding, and without sanding marks.

image.png.ea76d3023e60465f8374bcabc8ee253a.png

Here's a tool I use for rust.  This is a set of acrylic chalks, the earth tone set, easily found at Hobby Lobby for something like $6.  Sand the sticks to make dust.  Then you can either apply the dust to your model dry, or as I prefer, paint with it using Testors Dullcote.  I can create a post explaining my process if there is interest.

Turns out my wife has a set of chalks. I would certainly be interested in a tutorial. I love step by step with photos. I have a real problem watching a lot of the videos.

4 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I did wonder about that after you posted the picture, but though maybe you were headed in a different direction. Purple Pond?

I am not stripping it again. Maybe sand through and see what happens. Right now I'm busy with something else so maybe a quick dip might not hurt, since the paint is still fresh.

5 hours ago, retroguy said:

been there,done that more times then I care to admit...

Yeah, the salt thing didn't work. the rust primer is too light, and so on and so on. And... this might be the clincher , I HATE rubbing, sanding and polishing.

29 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

From experience, doing the salt technique with rattlecans is VERY difficult because it goes on so heavy. There are other alternatives for weathering with rattlecans, if you'd like I can step you through some techniques.

20151231_152142_zpsma77tbs7.jpg

Sure, because I'd really like to learn the main weathering techniques. There's some great stuff done  that while I'll never duplicate, I might at least emulate.

• 5 months later...
On November 8, 2018 at 1:03 PM, Jantrix said:

From experience, doing the salt technique with rattlecans is VERY difficult because it goes on so heavy. There are other alternatives for weathering with rattlecans, if you'd like I can step you through some techniques.

20151231_152142_zpsma77tbs7.jpg

Where did you source those wheel covers Rob? I like them..

16 minutes ago, Ballroad said:

How did you mimic the block details pistons, ECT ECT??? I like it a lot, 

In the second picture of the post, that is a reduced photo of a deck. Then I dirtied it up.Then I highlighted the holes with a very fine marker.