Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 GMC long bed fleetside Update Jan 21 2019

On 1/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, bill lanfear said:

Sorry, I have not been working on this build so much as I have been working on getting all the mods fine tuned for those who want to build fleetside long beds and or GMC's.  I will get back to it eventually.  There are many parts I have been working on for the AMT and Revell 60-66 Chevrolet kits.  I had to redo the bedsides as they were a little short and had to remold them so I will correct this on my build as well.  I have also been working on 67-69 grills for the Mobius Fords and am working on making an 8ft regular bed and 73-75 and 76-77 grills for the Firestone 78 Ford and also a 8ft bed for the re-issue Fall Guy Chevy. I can't seem to upload any pics right now but will as soon as possible. Thanks

Kris Morgan at Morgan Auto Detail has an 8ft bed for the Fall Guy pickup and 78 Ford Pickup. Haven't seen the grilles, but IIRC someone did make some.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:35 AM, bill lanfear said:

Small update!  I made the turn signal lenses (not easy) but they turned out ok.  Still working on the dashboard master but here is what it is at this point.  I also got valve covers made for the 305 V6.  The hood emblems were another challenge as they are only 1/4 of an inch wide, but I think I made something usable. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

IMG_2423.thumb.JPG.533e18c677e045c0a760783aeddf7fa0.JPG

Nice work. you say you had valve covers made. Where? They are like the ones I made for the 702 .

Final%201.jpg

Edited by landman

Hi Pat, I love your v12!  I made mine on sketchup then printed one, sanded it down, then made a quick mold in clay and cast a few.  I have however since created a new one with my new printer that captures the gmc letters but I need to see about sanding down the edges to round them before I cast it.  I still need to create everything else for the 305.  If you have any info on that engine, I could use it.  I have several pics but no dimensions. I watched your thread on building your v12 and it gave me some ideas on how to pursue the 305.  Any advice??

5c4c79d2c533b_valvecover.jpg.67dbc0a00a27651b275a70eb0825dd43.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 7:10 AM, mikemodeler said:

Kris Morgan at Morgan Auto Detail has an 8ft bed for the Fall Guy pickup and 78 Ford Pickup

Thanks for the info!  I checked his sight and he does have a really nice Chevy box, but no Ford listed...e-mailed him about the Ford box several weeks ago but got no response.  I can order his Chevy box for my needs but I am continuing forward on the Ford as I can't seem to find one.  I will wait to post progress on that for another thread.  Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, bill lanfear said:

Thanks for the info!  I checked his sight and he does have a really nice Chevy box, but no Ford listed...e-mailed him about the Ford box several weeks ago but got no response.  I can order his Chevy box for my needs but I am continuing forward on the Ford as I can't seem to find one.  I will wait to post progress on that for another thread.  Thanks again!

He doesn't have it listed but in an email to me this week he said it was $15 plus shipping. The wheelbase is corrected .

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

He doesn't have it listed but in an email to me this week he said it was $15 plus shipping. The wheelbase is corrected .

Thats good to know...I may not need to market that after all!  I pretty much have one nearly finished for myself.  Does he have any pics if it?  Why doesn't he post it on his page?

5 minutes ago, bill lanfear said:

Thats good to know...I may not need to market that after all!  I pretty much have one nearly finished for myself.  Does he have any pics if it?  Why doesn't he post it on his page?

Not sure why he hasn't updated his website, I think the guy who does his does all of the Detroit area casters and something may have happened or they are working on new websites. Either way, PM Kris here and he will let you know the details, he may even have the grilles!

22 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Hi Pat, I love your v12!  I made mine on sketchup then printed one, sanded it down, then made a quick mold in clay and cast a few.  I have however since created a new one with my new printer that captures the gmc letters but I need to see about sanding down the edges to round them before I cast it.  I still need to create everything else for the 305.  If you have any info on that engine, I could use it.  I have several pics but no dimensions. I watched your thread on building your v12 and it gave me some ideas on how to pursue the 305.  Any advice??

I'll send yo the photos and measurements I got from Thunder V12. All the top components appear similar except the exhaust manifiods. PM me your email

The work that is going into this build is intense!!! I saw where you're using Molotow chrome and you're right , that stuff is tha bomb! As you've already found out, however, it doesn't take to handling very well. I've found (through an article in SA) that Spaztix Ultimate Clear Coat works really well with Molotow and doesn't tarnish it when sprayed over it. After the clear coat dries, parts coated with Molotow can be handled without fear of losing the chrome shine.

I was looking to build the GM 305 V6 as well but need the specs to put it in CAD, never been able to get them. If you have the specs I can put it in 3D CAD, no problem. I want to make a GMC Suburban using the '66 Revell kit but just haven't had the time yet. If you already have the engine made then I would want one, same goes for the V6 emblems!

Edited by Mblur05

5 hours ago, Mblur05 said:

If you already have the engine made then I would want one, same goes for the V6 emblems!

Hi Mark,   I have not started on the engine yet (only the valve covers).  I do have the v6 emblems done and have chosen to print these and a few other small items rather than cast them.  I haven't offered anything yet because I am waiting to finish molding/casting a few items.  As far as specs for the engine, I am coming up pretty much empty as well, Landman sent me a few measurements on the v12 a few days ago. PM me and I will forward that info to you if you would like.  What are you doing for the grill or dash on your suburban?

5c511e29379f8_v6small.jpg.79e3d7df63cf9a137d80fba61bc507d3.jpg

5c511f9b59655_grillletterssmallwgrill.jpg.9bf611bb853d035d7689de84da0c88d5.jpg

Edited by bill lanfear

22 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Hi Mark,   I have not started on the engine yet (only the valve covers).  I do have the v6 emblems done and have chosen to print these and a few other small items rather than cast them.  I haven't offered anything yet because I am waiting to finish molding/casting a few items.  As far as specs for the engine, I am coming up pretty much empty as well, Landman sent me a few measurements on the v12 a few days ago. PM me and I will forward that info to you if you would like.  What are you doing for the grill or dash on your suburban?

5c511e29379f8_v6small.jpg.79e3d7df63cf9a137d80fba61bc507d3.jpg

5c511f9b59655_grillletterssmallwgrill.jpg.9bf611bb853d035d7689de84da0c88d5.jpg

Well I did get the grill headlight and GMC from Ron Andrews, he had it and sent one for $1.50. But I wouldn't mind another one with both 62 and 66 GMC letters.  Love the looks of the V6 3d printed I'd take that as is and the gmc grille/letters.

Edited by Mblur05

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, mikemodeler said:

Wow, you got an email back. I tried in July and again in December, no reply. Anyway, it should be on the website by now. At this point, I think I will see Bill's Ford bed before  MAD's Ford bed.

• 1 month later...

Small update.  I have been busy doing some work for a fellow forum member and refining some other parts so this project has been in slow motion!  I modeled a complete 305 V6 on the computer then printed the 13 components and assembled it for this build.  In keeping with the diorama in my future, I am building this as a "used" truck you would see parked in the street in 1979.  I painted the interior and started assembly but these pictures are for test fitting purposes so the firewall isn't in there yet.  I tested the fit for the engine and wanted to see how the dash fit in the windshield cavity.  I still need to test it with the glass in but it looks pretty good so far.  I lengthened the frame yet again as I had to rework the bed sides from the earlier ones to correct the length so I added 1mm to the front portion before the wheel.  I went back and reworked the grill to clean it up, correct the center bar to add a little point in the center, and add headlight bezels.  I modeled and printed a bumper for this build as well. Still a WIP but its coming along slow but sure!  Let me know what you think!  Thanks for looking!

IMG_0243.thumb.JPG.be942bc9516a2dbdc15011069b6f0723.JPG

IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.f4b96c5531d9066ab87128dfa96d0b95.JPGIMG_0366.thumb.JPG.c5f882b9cc25dfb1753461a25f81d242.JPGIMG_0355.thumb.JPG.c1336be981942bfd500d4ebedddcf491.JPGIMG_0358.thumb.JPG.572498efc1bca252b35086762f68f4b7.JPGIMG_0359.thumb.JPG.72cac87d977b57bf1c745ad4809099a8.JPGIMG_0356.thumb.JPG.cb5a56ad82e3c02e9c41f87418af7085.JPGIMG_0364.thumb.JPG.ff85d1814ce8ecfed975a18aa12a8d99.JPGIMG_0368.thumb.JPG.786526e638348feec5999ed6f826ba07.JPGIMG_0372.thumb.JPG.b9408a29585b43e224ae179f56717318.JPGIMG_0303.thumb.JPG.8f85cb86dc487832722e8be3a57617c6.JPG