Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Ford Sedan 60's Style Altered UPDATED 2/10/19

Dennis Lacy

Looking good. I've got a couple gloobombs of this kit that have seen your build and are nagging me to do something similar now.

I like your choice of mag, too. I just went almost blind drilling eight tiny holes in the right pattern on the back of the cap of one for wires. 

I need a cross-eyed emoji.  ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looking good. I've got a couple gloobombs of this kit that have seen your build and are nagging me to do something similar now.

I like your choice of mag, too. I just went almost blind drilling eight tiny holes in the right pattern on the back of the cap of one for wires. 

I need a cross-eyed emoji.  ;)

Haha. I took the easy way out and just drilled one big hole that I'll shove all 8 wires into and call it a day! That end of the engine is stuffed under the cowl anyway...

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 8:10 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

the rare AMT 1928 Ford Sedan that was issued only once in the early 60's. 

Looking great Dennis as usual. Round 2 was able to round up all the parts and restore the '25 Double T kit (missing since '61-ish), hopefully they can pull another rabbit out of their hat and find this one. I'd buy 'em.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Looking great Dennis as usual. Round 2 was able to round up all the parts and restore the '25 Double T kit (missing since '61-ish), hopefully they can pull another rabbit out of their hat and find this one. I'd buy 'em.

Thanks!

There was a thread in the general section just last year where the head guy at AMT was quoted confirming that the Sedan body tooling section was found and that they would eventually like to return it to the kit as a full restoration the original content. But, apparently it's going to be a big (expensive) undertaking and not going to happen any time soon.

B) 

Found a couple of hours to hit the workbench today. Took a break from the engine and chassis to get the firewall and floor roughed in. 

I started by making the firewall out of .040" sheet and designed in an angled toe panel that covers the trans. Because of the engine set back it mounts where the dashboard would normally be.

IMG_6794-vi.jpg

IMG_6795-vi.jpg

IMG_6790-vi.jpg

Then I made a new floor out of .040" sheet. I also wanted to incorporate the really neat roll cage that comes in the '28 Sedan for the full drag version. Because I chopped the top I had to shorten the legs of the hoops and then I inserted mounting pins so that the hoops can be mocked up and be positively located. The seat is tentative and is one of Drag City Casting's new, better detailed Stone, Woods, Cook buckets.

IMG_6792-vi.jpg

IMG_6793-vi.jpg

The roll cage also includes rear angled bars that still need to be shortened and fit but I propped them up here to show the general concept of how they go. 

IMG_6796-vi.jpg

And some mock ups with the body in place. 

IMG_6791-vi.jpg

IMG_6787-vi.jpg

IMG_6789-vi.jpg 

Still more to come!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, Scott8950 said:

man that is some nice work..

...X2, Dennis.   Looking really great.  I guess  you've finally shamed me into digging out my chopped '30A Sedan you've been wanting to see, I'll try to get those pictures taken and posted in the next few days.   Will be great to see this one take final shape and come together.....TIM   

• Like 1

The first weekend without rain in a month meant lots of yard chores! But, I did get in a few hours at the bench this afternoon.

I wasn't at all satisfied with the front angled floor section. It honestly didn't fit worth a darn and because I used thin .020 for the cap and it was flimsy and droopy in the center. I broke those pieces off of the firewall and decided to start over. Part of the problem was the bottom of the firewall wasn't supported or located by anything. I added some small tabs inside both sides of the body to give the firewall something to position against. That allowed me to accurately measure for the new front sloped floor and its supports

IMG_6849-vi.jpg

I decided this time around to attach the front sloped floor to the fender unit instead of the firewall. I made the supports different this time so that the back edge of the cap would actually be level with the main floor instead of below it like before. I also made the cap out of sturdier .040" sheet like everything else.

IMG_6831-vi.jpg

Here's the underneath. I couldn't be happier with the precise fit everywhere this time!

IMG_6847-vi.jpg

Here's how the floor fits over the engine. Miles of clearance!

IMG_6834-vi.jpg

With the floor finished I finished the roll cage by shortening the rear angled down bars and pinning them to the floor like the hoops. I also sanded all of the lay out pencil lines off of the floor as they were no longer needed.

IMG_6828-vi.jpg

IMG_6830-vi.jpg

I decided to use the seat from Drag City Casting. I trimmed 1/8" off of the bottom of it, added a piece of .040" flat sheet across the bottom then made some drilled mounting rails, also from .040". I also added alignment pins which are glued into holes as well as to the insides of the drilled rails.

IMG_6839-vi.jpg

IMG_6838-vi.jpg

IMG_6841-vi.jpg

Here's some full mock ups with the reworked floor, finished cage and seat.

IMG_6842-vi.jpg

IMG_6843-vi.jpg

IMG_6844-vi.jpg

IMG_6845-vi.jpg

I also decided to put it up on its wheels and still the engine in for a look. It's starting to really look like a race car now!

IMG_6852-vi.jpg

IMG_6853-vi.jpg

IMG_6856-vi.jpg

Lastly, here's one with an AMT '29 Roadster sourced hood which fits perfect. 

IMG_6859-vi.jpg

Next I'll start detailing the interior with pedals, gauges and steering. Stay tuned!

On 2/17/2019 at 6:04 PM, tim boyd said:

...X2, Dennis.   Looking really great.  I guess  you've finally shamed me into digging out my chopped '30A Sedan you've been wanting to see, I'll try to get those pictures taken and posted in the next few days.   Will be great to see this one take final shape and come together.....TIM   

Thanks a bunch, Tim, I was hoping you'd find this one. Plenty more details to add, yet. If you look above you'll see I added an update after you posted. 

And oh boy, I can't wait to check out your '30 Sedan! 

You've taken a rather average model and turned it into a work of art and plastic mastery!  Once said, "the devil is in the detail" or to catch or find a mysterious element hidden in the details, meaning that something might seem simple at a first look but will take more time and effort to complete/explore than expected.  At first glance just another hotrod Model A Sedan, but a closer look finds an eye for period perfect aspects of the real deal!  Awesome work, Brother ADL!! -KK

Today I felt like continuing with body / exterior related stuff.

First thing I did was scratch together a parachute mounting bracket. The chute is from MPC's Cosmic Charger.

1551066889226-vi.jpg

Then I made a "club plaque" mount utilizing the original taillight mounting hole in the lower left corner of the body.

1551066856601-vi.jpg

I turned my attention to the cowl and removed the entire center of an AMT '29 Roadster firewall leaving just the outer perimeter to align the hood and still hinting of the firewalls original shape as if everything but the outer edge was simply sawed out.

1551066797716-vi.jpg

1551066763161-vi.jpg

Then it occurred to me that I need to make sure that the engine still fits in the narrower hole. Thankfully it does!

1551066724090-vi.jpg

I made a basic platform to span between the frame rails in front of the engine then scratched together a fuel tank complete with filler, feed and return connections and mounting straps.

1551066344165-vi.jpg

1551066318031-vi.jpg

And here it is all mocked up again. Also visible is that I filled in the headlight mounting holes on the fenders (and removed the plastic masses on the undersides.) Definitely looking like a racecar now!

1551065906233-vi.jpg

1551065876835-vi.jpg

1551066503728-vi.jpg

1551066261044-vi.jpg

1551066242287-vi.jpg

So next weekend I'll get back to the interior details but it's definitely getting "there"!

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 3:59 AM, Kit Karson said:

You've taken a rather average model and turned it into a work of art and plastic mastery!  Once said, "the devil is in the detail" or to catch or find a mysterious element hidden in the details, meaning that something might seem simple at a first look but will take more time and effort to complete/explore than expected.  At first glance just another hotrod Model A Sedan, but a closer look finds an eye for period perfect aspects of the real deal!  Awesome work, Brother ADL!! -KK

Thanks so much for your kind words, brother! 

• 1 month later...

Another example of a better than average eye for proper proportions, a broad knowledge of period perfect hot rods, and brought together by the hands of a young and up coming plastic surgeon.  ADL, you're one of a very few young guns in the hobby that will carry our torch into the next generation.  Keep your vision and let your knowledge guide your hands with every future real and scale hot rod you build from here on out!  As a member of a very exclusive group and as a mentor within the hobby, your execution and style has already been acknowledged around the world by modelers from every level and experience in both 1:1 and scale model cars.  

It's one thing to amass the parts and pull them together to build a model car, but to build a scale model of a period perfect hot rod... that takes an artist historian and a true craftsman!  -KK