Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Ford Sedan 60's Style Altered UPDATED 2/10/19

Dennis Lacy

The newest vintage dragstrip project on my workbench is this 60's style Altered based on the rare AMT 1928 Ford Sedan that was issued only once in the early 60's. It was a mint condition one, too! :D

IMG_6169-vi.jpg

IMG_6170-vi.jpg

This kit poses a challenge because the frame is molded with the fenders and floor as once big piece. It's workable but takes a lot more planning. I cut out the center floor and frame cross member then added the tubular transmission cross member from Revell's '29 Roadster and '30 Coupe kits. The tube was put on drop brackets to get the transmission height correct. Out back I'm using the complete axle, shocks, 1/4 eliptic springs and loooooooong ladder bars from Revell's KS Pitmann '41 Willys Gasser. I added early Ford drum brake plates to the axle and Grandt Line nut detail to the spring plates. The front axle & suspension will be from any of Revell's '32 Ford series kits.

DSCN6873-vi.jpg

DSCN6874-vi.jpg

DSCN6875-vi.jpg

DSCN6876-vi.jpg

The engine is the 327 Chevy / Muncie 4-speed from Revell's 1962 Corvette and it will have Hilborn fuel injection which will be a modified and detailed unit from AMT's Double Dragster kit. Front motor mounts have yet to be made but I think the plan is to build a Hurst style saddle mount.

DSCN6872-vi.jpg

And some mock ups with the work that's been done so far. The top has been chopped a scale 4 inches. The wheels, tires and slicks are all from Revell's Miss Deal Studabaker funny car. As you can see, the engine is heavily set back such that the firewall will end up where the dashboard was.

DSCN6869-vi.jpg

DSCN6858-vi.jpg

DSCN6859-vi.jpg

DSCN6861-vi.jpg

DSCN6862-vi.jpg

DSCN6863-vi.jpg

DSCN6865-vi.jpg

Lots and lots more to come!

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

• 3 months later...

I started today by modifying a pair of headers from AMT's '34 5-Window Street Rod. I cut away the clunky, thick head flanges and replaced them with the nice and realistically shaped flanges from Revell's parts pack 283 Chevy engine. This also corrected the port spacing to line up with the Revell '62 Corvette cylinder heads. Then I cut away the short collectors and installed these resin-cast long collector cones that Ed sent me in a care package a while back.

IMG_6613-vi.jpg

Then I set about making a styled front engine mounting plate. I used .040" sheet, .060" rod and detail nuts from Grandt Line.

IMG_6618-vi.jpg

IMG_6619-vi.jpg

I added gusseted engine mounting brackets to the frame rails made from .020" sheet and Grandt Line nuts.

IMG_6615-vi.jpg

IMG_6616-vi.jpg

Here is the engine set in place with the fabricated front mount plate and modified headers.

IMG_6620-vi.jpg

IMG_6621-vi.jpg

IMG_6622-vi.jpg

Still lots more to do but having the engine properly mounted and the headers figured out are two big items checked off of the to-do list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Looking good! Wonder why this kit has never been reissued?

Thanks!

Technically, it has been reissued multiple times but after the first run the sedan body was replaced by a roadster pickup cab and bed then later an optional Woodie body was included. 

Edited by Dennis Lacy

I was able to spend a couple of hours at the bench this afternoon. Today I focused on the engine. 

The first thing I did was start making something better out of the Hilborn fuel injection from AMT's Double Dragster. I cut out the center fuel distribution block and otherwise cleaned the part up. I then made a new fuel block out of styrene stock and drilled it for future fuel lines. I also drilled the injector bodies for fuel plumbing, installed a breather / oil fill tube at the front and mounted a magneto from AMT's Chevy parts pack engine.  Below is my modified piece with a straight from the box chrome intake for comparison. I still need to make intake tubes.

IMG_6628-vi.jpg

IMG_6629-vi.jpg

Here's the whole engine so far. In addition to the modified injector I mounted a Hilborn cam driven fuel pump, added Moon breathers from the Revell Orange Crate to the Corvette valve covers and shortened the oil filter canister to clear the header. I also drilled all of the spark plug holes and cleaned up all of the mold lines and joints on the headers.

IMG_6623-vi.jpg

IMG_6624-vi.jpg

IMG_6625-vi.jpg

IMG_6627-vi.jpg

IMG_6630-vi.jpg

Here's the engine set into the car and a few full view mock ups.

IMG_6631-vi.jpg

IMG_6633-vi.jpg

IMG_6634-vi.jpg

IMG_6637-vi.jpg

More to come!

• Like 1