Model Cars Magazine Forum

First use of Alsa Easy Chrome - No, it's not a car!

Pete J.

I posted a notification the Alsa is having a sale on their new brushable easy chrome earlier today and thought some of you might like to see what I did with it.  This model is half an airplane mounted on a mirror.  The chrome work was done first and then I masked it with Tamiya Tape and did the blue.  Once the decals were on, I sprayed it with a two part automotive urethane.   Yes, I did some of the chrome work with a brush just to see how it would work.  

Actually it is a gift for my grandson.  It will have a walnut frame and mount on the wall of his room.  

Cams mustang.jpg

On 10/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, 89AKurt said:

I have not heard of that product.  Looks like it works!  You have any pictures before the clear was done?

Kurt, sorry it took me a little while to get back with you.  No, I don't.  I did some testing on the speed forms that come with the kit where I masked half of it and I will say that if you couldn't see the edge of the clear you would not know which side was cleared and which was not.  I just got my order from the sale and will do another one when I get a chance.  Right now my shop is taken up with a woodworking project and not really conducive to painting. 

Unfortunately the sale is over.  Frankly, when it is on sale it is worth the money.  I got 4 oz. of both base coat and chrome including delivery for $135 on sale. When it is regular price, $139 for 2 oz. before delivery,  it is a bit much, even for my budget!  Shipping and taxes here in California was $21(UPS ground because it is flammable). 

If you are interested I would go to the ALSA website and create an account.  They send me emails with sales which is how i got this much less expensive.  Here is a link to the site.  https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/