Model Cars Magazine Forum

My own Blues mobile

NYLIBUD

So I see on CL that there is a 2009 Crown Vic black unmarked police car for sale.Low miles,like new.The car is only 10 mins down the road from my house.It looks really clean.Ive been searching for a black unmarked car for a long time.Love these cars.They're powerful/fast,and are built heavy duty.Well I hope it's still for sale.And then for some reason I looked up on line how many police cars were destroyed in the Blues Brothers movies.They wrecked 103 cars in the first movie.And 104 in the horrible sequence movie,that never should've been made,"Blues Brothers 2000".Infact the sequel holds the Guinness book of records for most cars destroyed.And for the chase scene they used around 50 cars,all bought for about four hundred dollars each,and reinforced.Also You have to love Legos.They'll build anything:D

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

I know several people who have ex-govt. Crown Vics. Great car far as I can tell. The ones I've driven are, like you say, reasonably fast, solid, handle and ride well.  A mechanic I know has one with 300k on the clock, and all it's ever needed was fluid and filter changes, tires, and brakes. I bought one myself back in 2005 (low miles, light front body damage) but somebody snagged it out of our storage lot before I picked it up.

If you do buy en ex-cop-car, try to get one that's never been hit hard, or had suspension damage...both pretty common on police cars down here.

My wife drives a black 04 Crown Vic LX Sport ( Ford version of the Maurader with less power ) , bought it in 06 with 28,000 on it . It has 175,000 now and looks just as good as when we bought it ( she takes very good care of her car ) . Rides great , gets good gas mileage ( 23 on the road / 19 in town ) , very reliable and scares speeding drivers who run up on us in traffic . :lol:

Edited by oldnslow

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

...the horrible sequence movie,that never should've been made,"Blues Brothers 2000"

Well, ONE good thing came out of that movie. Paul Shaffer was off Letterman for a week (or was it two?) filming it, and the late great Warren Zevon filled in for him all week as Dave's musical director/sidekick. Warren Zevon songs for bumper music every night--it was Fantastic! 

I believe it was during this stint that Zevon created the rare and beautiful "Licked by a Stranger." How rare? Performed exactly once, and never even finished. You can see it here about 8 minutes in. What comes before is just the comedic lead-up to it, necessary to fully appreciate the song: 

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I like the old Ford P71. Wouldn't mind picking one up, and then adding all the Mustang go-fast parts I could. And it would have to be lowered.

p71.jpg

Ok now that looks wild.Not sure if that's a real car,but I do like it.And if I do purchase the car,it will be souped up with some Mustang goodies..Oh and Just a quick FYI.I found out why we use the term souped up,with that spelling.Its got nothing to do with being "super charged".Back in the 1800s,if people wanted their horses to run faster,they would develop a mixture of things,a sort of (soup),and then inject it in their horses.Idk if it's true,or not.Just something I read.:P

5 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Back in the 1800s,if people wanted their horses to run faster,they would develop a mixture of things,a sort of (soup),and then inject it in their horses.Idk if it's true,or not.Just something I read.:P

Interesting...I wondered the origin of that phrase.  'modded' is the more common phrase today, I think. 

MVC-014S

I love old Crown Vics!  Both my grandfather and father were into them.  This was their last one, passed down to me.  I drove it over 200,000 miles and gave it away to my bro-in-law back when gas went over $4 a gallon and we thought it would hit $5.  Gotta love the trunk capacity!  I just got the Dwayne/Greg Wann resin Vic to replicate it.

The carrying power of a Crown Vic

The last time we looked for a family car, I was thinking late model Vic.  A friend of mine had a low mile Mercury and I was also looking at an ex government / not a cop car one with very low miles as well.  My wife vetoed it since she would have been the main driver.  Way too big for her!  She also vetoed a Chrysler 300  but somehow we got her into a Buick Lacrosse!  Go figger!

Edited by Tom Geiger

10 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ok now that looks wild.Not sure if that's a real car,but I do like it.And if I do purchase the car,it will be souped up with some Mustang goodies..Oh and Just a quick FYI.I found out why we use the term souped up,with that spelling.Its got nothing to do with being "super charged".Back in the 1800s,if people wanted their horses to run faster,they would develop a mixture of things,a sort of (soup),and then inject it in their horses.Idk if it's true,or not.Just something I read.:P

100% a real car! Full air ride suspension. Personally, I'd do a static drop, but that's just me. :)

p71-001.jpg

About a year ago, I saw one of those Ford Crown Vics on the highway. It was wearing FAT tires and all four tires stuck out past the body at least 3-4 inches. It looked like a badly built model, but I doubt you could roll it if you tried. :lol:

One of the Peterson publications ran an article over several months where one of the editors had bought an ex sheriffs Ford in California. They followed his modifications and the lowering of the car over several months. We got a new '10 Charger RT in a dark gray color when the Kansas Highway Patrol was using similar looking Chargers. When driving much over 70 mph on the freeway it was like the parting of the sea as everyone scrambled to get out of our way back then. Very funny at first. Since they all use the later model Chargers in white now it just doesn't happen anymore. Sure was fun while it lasted.