Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have a little bit of an issue that I need to resolve guys.

Maybe you can help.

I recently sold some vintage parts to a forum member whom I won't name at this time.

He very promptly sent me the money order in exchange for the parts, but to my surprise, he also included a model kit!

But not just any model kit.

It's a relatively rare kit that is at least 95% complete and completely restorable!

I promptly contacted him & informed him that the kit that he had sent me alone was probably worth as much as the parts that I had sent him, never mind the money.

He replied that he felt that it had my name all over it, thought that he would never build it & said that he figured that I would appreciate it more than he would.

I responded that I felt bad & that I had already built the same kit, & would likely not build a second one & would immediately send it back if he would like.

He told me "No. Sell it, trade it, part it out, whatever you want. It's yours now."

So now I have a rather pleasurable problem that I need to take care of.

I feel guilty just thinking of filing it away along with the many other kits that I will likely never get to, & I would feel doubly guilty if I profited from it in any way.

My first thought is to "pay it forward".

I would absolutely be interested in giving it to another individual, but I really want to make sure that it's going to someone who will also not just stick it into a corner with 1,000 other kits never to see the light of day again.

I would like someone to have it who not only would really desire it, (ie. a Holy Grail kit) but will build it sometime in the very near future.

My only other thought was to try to trade it for something that the "gifter" would desire, or sell it and buy something for him that he would like.

Problem is that I will likely get no help from him in that regard. :)

So, help me out guys.

How do I deal with this situation.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I wonder if it's the same guy I recently did a trade with. We came to an agreement on a trade that we were both happy with. There the kit arrived on my doorstep, there was a kit issue that had could not have been foreseen in any way shape or form by anyone. Yet this gentleman still chose to send another kit despite my protests.

We have some pretty great people around here. :)

4 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

How did you finish the first one,...?

Pics Pls...

I finished the first one basically stock.

At this time, I don't want to post any photos because I don't want this thread to turn into a "I want it" thing.

I'm more looking for advice at the moment.

Steve

3 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I wonder if it's the same guy I recently did a trade with. We came to an agreement on a trade that we were both happy with. There the kit arrived on my doorstep, there was a kit issue that had could not have been foreseen in any way shape or form by anyone. Yet this gentleman still chose to send another kit despite my protests.

We have some pretty great people around here. :)

We do Dan.

I have had this sort of thing happen to me before and have done it myself, but this time, it just seemed correct to do something about it.

In the past, I have been on the receiving end of this sort of thing, but it was usually in response to a desire to find an item on my part.

I have also gifted items to individuals who have expressed a need or desire for something that I happen to have that I don't have a particular or immediate use for.

This one was just out of left field and has kind of left me at a loss........but in a good way! :P

Steve

I do "Out of the Blue" stuff like that all the time. ( I giggle to myself at the thought of the other person's look of astonishment .)

If I had sent you the kit, I would be fine with whatever you chose to do with it. I'm sure your friend would be fine with it too.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My first thought is to "pay it forward".

This is alway's fun . I vote for that.

It's always nice to get the unexpected compliments and sometimes when you do, you are left at a loss as to how to deal with them. In this case, there isn't a simple answer.

My inclination would be to do as to what was done to you. I am sure you know someone here (or elsewhere) who would love the kit you received and if not, you will find a worthy recipient in due time. It might be via a trade or just a surprise with other items, but I am sure you can give someone a gift like you got.

9 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

It's always nice to get the unexpected compliments and sometimes when you do, you are left at a loss as to how to deal with them. In this case, there isn't a simple answer.

My inclination would be to do as to what was done to you. I am sure you know someone here (or elsewhere) who would love the kit you received and if not, you will find a worthy recipient in due time. It might be via a trade or just a surprise with other items, but I am sure you can give someone a gift like you got.

That's my thought, but I'm just trying to sift through some of the threads & my own mind to see if I can find an individual who has expressed a real interest in one of these kits & a desire to build it.

I just don't want it to go somewhere where it will just sit for another 30 years.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I will give you all one hint.

It is a mid '60s Mopar. ;)

Steve

That sounds like a very nice gesture- you don't have to decide all at once as it is nice to have options. If you did build one of those mid-60's mystery Mopars, it seems the sender may have been on the right track in thinking it would find a good home with you (or through you to a fellow appreciator). I would sit on it for a bit, and see if the kit calls out to you as to what to do with it- build it, or pass it along to someone who appreciates it and what it stands for. There are many "birds of a feather" on the forum here when it comes to a particular type of vehicle and what is considered a grail type of kit subject. You may just find someone searching for that very kit who will truly appreciate it.

Totally unrelated- many years ago (before this forum, and the one from the "other" mag came online), I bought an AMT Prestige '63 Ford Galaxie kit on sale for a couple of bucks at the local hobby shop. I opened the kit, filled a few sink marks and sanded off some mold lines, but never got around to finishing it as there were subjects nearer/dearer to my heart that kept me busy. Fast forward a few years, later I was chatting with a fellow on an online model car message board who was in search for that very kit , long after the kit had been discontinued, and long before the advent of eBay...I told him I had one, and would be happy to pop it in the mail and send it along as a "pay it forward" if he wanted it. He seemed pretty pumped to get it. I made a trip to my storage locker in another city, brought it home,  and had a look through the box to make sure it was still complete (it was, down to the AMT chrome foil in the box and intact parts trees). The wife wasn't too keen on another kit coming back home to take up room on the shelf, but I told her the story, and how I was gifting it to someone who had been looking for it. I never heard from him again.  Oh well, an attempted good deed.

I wouldn't have been butt hurt if I had mailed it and it never got built, or if the person passed it along to someone else. Sometimes getting a kit into somebody's hands who appreciates it is reward enough. I am sure you'll figure out what to do with it.

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's my thought, but I'm just trying to sift through some of the threads & my own mind to see if I can find an individual who has expressed a real interest in one of these kits & a desire to build it.

I just don't want it to go somewhere where it will just sit for another 30 years.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I will give you all one hint.

It is a mid '60s Mopar. ;)

Steve

Steve search for the right person who that it would really cherish it and brighten thier day and month. There on the forum and some on a fixed income. Think about as you read the forum it will come to you friend....

32 minutes ago, Ich_Will said:

Cool. It's nice to read something like this. I like this forum, not a bunch of keyboard warriors with a chip on their shoulders and something to prove. Genuinely good people. 

I agree totally. Great members here and I feel like most are friends I never met..

I had found a kit that meant a lot to me that another forum member had. As I am on SS and only get paid once a month so I contacted him and explained why it meant so much to me and asked if he would hold it for me till I got payed again. He agreed and in the meantime two other members were searching for parts for kits I had. After checking with the mods to see if it was allowed, let them know I only wanted the postage for the kits. Both agreed. In the meantime the first member sent me the kit at no charge and said it meant more to me than it ever would to him. With his generosity I was able to send out the two kits at no charge and told the recipients that if so inclined they could pay it forward. Both said they would. There are some great people on this forum who are always willing to help out with parts or advise and the knowledge and skills are amazing. As far as the kit goes, don't be in a hurry and the right person will pop up, maybe in the wanted section.

Thanks everybody.

I appreciate all of the help, & I agree, there are a ton of great people on the forum.

This is not the first time that I have had this happen, & I have been happy to return the favor in many instances.

This time I would really like to pay it forward, and I hope that the individual who sent it too me doesn't think that he is getting off scot-free. :)

There is a good possibility that something might just "show up" on his door step at some point! ;)

While I would like to give this kit to a whole bunch of guys on this forum, I just want to be sure that it goes to someone who doesn't already have one, & somebody that will really appreciate it.

Steve