Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time for a look at some different Pickup truck offerings ?

Your right! I would love to have any or all of the choices you put up here. When I was a kid we had a 41 Studebaker like your 2nd picture & it was cool. My father got it from a guy who couldn't start it. He didn't know that you had to push the clutch down to the floor to get the starter to spin. I think he paid $50 for it back then, I'd pay almost that for a good kit of one today.

I'd like to see the '61-71 generation of Dodges.  Several grille variations in that generation.  Funky styling.  Alas, I didn't get the Modelhaus kits when they were available.

I'd like to also see some modern trucks tooled up in 1/25th also,  like the new '19 Ram or new Silverado or Sierra.  

I would love to see some old Dodge pickups come out, their styling might not be as sexy as the Fords and Chevies of the same era, but they were tough trucks. I have the Modelhaus Crew Cab '64 Dodge to build, still trying to decide if I want to make it into a 4wd or build it as the 2wd that Don cast it as.

Jeep and International pickups would be nice to have, but most likely from a resin caster. The rest of the trucks shown have appeal, but I don't think they would sell in numbers high enough to justify a kit company tooling them up.

3 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Rob, you want funky styling? Here you go.

studebaker-pickup-1941-10.jpg

I never saw a '41 Stude coupe pickup like that!  Their Coupe Express from 1937-1939 had an integrated box.  Chevy made one like this '41 from 1936 to 1942 where the box also bolted in where the trunk lid normally goes.  I have a diecast '37 Stude Coupe Express in 1/18 scale.  It's a beautiful model.  Besides some of these classic trucks, some Rancheros are still needed.  

The Studebaker and Hudson trucks are arguably the most handsome looking trucks of their time being based on their passenger car siblings. The trunk conversion that ChuckyG1 shared was offered thru many dealers during that time frame. I have no idea of the distribution details, but a very similar universal "Kit" was offered to convert the trunk in a coupe into a small pickup bed. By the very nature of this conversion I think it would be safe to say most of those were used up and worked to death. Any or all of these trucks would make a great kit. AMT used of offer their '40 Willys coupe/pick up drag kit that could easily be built as a basic pick up.  

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

37-39 Studebaker Coupe Express gets my vote as one of the most beautiful factory designed pickup trucks ever!

Every angle has well thought out details, that scream "Classic!" Even the bed was designed in - not plopped on.

ebay149178841447408.jpg.022137b0947240e55d7d42ec83aa7783.jpg

studebaker-pickup-1938-1.jpg.40b31bbe612ee4e04930c1b6e91427f2.jpg

1200px-1937_Studebaker_Express_Coupe_J-5_(2668904295).jpg.c3502d1cb12493b26f3f65d24fb57d59.jpg

STUDE-orig-1.jpg.d52209a533ecda7cc12da17738798383.jpg

I would build any of the OPs and include this one as well.

These would pretty much all be must have kits for me. I really like Pickups, and would like to see some of these rare body styles being kitted. Especially that '46 Hudson and Studebaker Champ Pickups would be on top of my list. And if some model company could do this, it would be Moebius. I wish some day we'll have kits on some of these things. Hopefully.

I'd love to see a Studebaker 2R, 4E, etc. They look good stock, lifted, and slammed as kustoms. I saw one listed for sale several years ago that the owner had outfitted with an International grille instead of the stock horizontal slat grilles. It looked great!

1955-studebaker-pickup-custom-1.jpg506c06fd29340d2c10112c5cbaaad0ca.jpg

Not as pretty as the Hudson or Stude, but another 'off the beaten path' pick-up is the Powell. There is a lot of slab siding and few compound curves, so scratchbuilding one should be doable

.1956Powell_01_700.jpg.498e2e199cf3a9006c052e1f9bfec0e7.jpg

… and just dig that cool built in fishing rod compartment (though someone has added compartment divisions to this example)..

powell_d_grande.jpg.5c0f0f41a94a5942fb814efa7ba85a8a.jpg